Running Shoes

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned many of the shoes mentioned so far - Asics, Brooks, Altra and Salomon - and they are all good shoes. The last few years I prefer the Altras because of the zero drop and wide toe box. The zero drop can be a bit over hyped, but I do think it makes a difference in improving your running posture and reducing wear on your joints.

renagde

WKR
Started using Altras last year for road running, and picked up a pair of the Altra Superior 4 this year for trail running. Love both, and don't see myself switching for awhile.

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I'll also echo the comment about good socks. It seems crazy to spend 20 dollars on a single pair of socks, but if you only use them for running/working out, they will last a long time. I've tried and been happy with Darn Tough, Smart wool and Balega. My personal favorite though is the Injinji (yes the toe socks). Even with completely soaked socks, I've never had a blister with them.

TC406

FNG
Ive always been a believer of "try lots on, buy what fits really well." I just recently got a new pair and surprisingly ended up with some Colombia Montrail's that I've been really happy with so far.

twall13

WKR
I'll also echo the comment about good socks. It seems crazy to spend 20 dollars on a single pair of socks, but if you only use them for running/working out, they will last a long time. I've tried and been happy with Darn Tough, Smart wool and Balega. My personal favorite though is the Injinji (yes the toe socks). Even with completely soaked socks, I've never had a blister with them.
It's always interesting to hear from others on what they like and use. Like you, I have socks I only use for running and have tried Darn Tough, Feetures, Smart Wool, Voormi, and Injinji. I don't like the feeling of anything between my toes (I don't even like flip flops for that reason) so the Injinji socks aren't my favorite but if I know my feet will be constantly wet on a run I still wear them as, like you, I've never had a blister in those socks. For that reason alone I'll always own a pair of Injinji socks for running in wet conditions. Darn Tough are probably my favorite but all of the brands I mentioned work well. The Voormi socks run large and got holes in the toes after only 75 miles or so, which was disappointing, but I darned them and they have been good ever since. The Injinji and Feetures also developed toe holes but not for a couple hundred miles. The Darn Toughs are just more durable all the way around, at least for me, and I can get 1,000 miles plus out of a pair. Maybe that's why they are my favorite, after spending so much I want them to last and they have the bonus that when I wear them out I can send them in for a free warranty replacement. I haven't tried the Feetures warranty yet but likely will at some point. Those socks feel great but slide around in my shoes a bit more than the others. I'm not sure good socks helped me at all with reducing joint pain but they do help prevent blisters and allow my feet to keep going on longer runs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quackhead

FNG
I have been a Nike fan for years with the Vomero line. But have switched to ASICS due to their politics. I second a good pair of socks and also recommend replacing the insoles. I used superfeet and have had good luck with those

gumbl3

WKR
on cloud shoes are by far the best I've used for running on pavement, but no way they'll be good for trail running, they pick up rocks and acorns like magnets

Brooks and Altras have both been good for me. Depends on your feet go spend some time with a local shops can get you lined out. It is all about the fit

Mesplay

FNG
My vote is for Altras, had their times, and now run the Lone Peak 4s. Great shoes!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Another vote for Brooks, I run the Lauch line but I love a very lite shoe with a nice flowing feel. I would rather replace the shoes more often (average 200-250 miles, but current pair are near 300 miles) than if I would buy a more heavy duty shoe but I have tried the stiffer shoe and cannot stand them.

I weigh around 190lbs and run below 8min miles usually running 10-12 miles a week for reference. I do not pronate when I run.

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the La Sportiva Bushido II. I love it so far. not super cushioned for longer runs but totally good to go for <50k. It just seems like Sportivas seem to either fit perfect or horrible...

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly a reader as I'm younger and don't have a ton of experience on the hunting side but figured I'd add my .02 cents since I have a decent amount of running experience.

I'm an avid trail/road runner. Typically 30-45 miles a week split 70/30 with an emphasis on trail running. I'm currently deployed with the guard but my civilian job is working in the footwear department of my local REI. Like mentioned previously, finding what feels good to your foot is key and its imperative to actually get measured and sized correctly from someone who knows what they're doing.

I'll add my opinion when it comes to shoes in this usage. Keep in mind, a crossover shoe can be more than adequate for both pavement and hard packed/gravel trails or walking paths. IMO if you're looking to run rocky/uneven terrain and road you're looking at two different shoes.

I've been a hoka fan since recovering from a knee injury, excellent cushioning but don't exactly inspire the feeling of speed (clifton 6). I got intrigued by the torrent model (marketed as a trail runner, with large aggressive lugs) due to toning back on hoka's sometimes overwhelming cushioning and very light weight. These are my go to crossover since they still have good cushioning but they're a more responsive shoe. I like them so much they're my primary road runner and go to for light trails.

To keep your options open, I'll list some other shoes I've tried/like the design of for the crossover role but can't speak to any longterm experience with.

Hoka challenger ATR
Brooks Cascadia
Saucony peregrine
Altra lone peaks/timps
Salomon trailster

Not a comprehensive list but the first ones that came to mind. FWIW my go to hard trail runner is the newest version of the Salomon xa pro 3d

Edit: just saw the post above mine, can't believe I forgot the bushido, ankther excellent choice and I've actually ran in a pair a considerable amount. Keep in mind La Sportiva and Salomon tend to be narrower cut, not all models but its certainly a trend.

IanCOLO

FNG
Hoka Scapegoats are great, like my Salomon Sense Pros too. Have a pair on Innov8 Park Claw that I surprisingly seem to use most of the time. I really like having more than one shoe to rotate through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxAg2017

FNG
I’m a fan of all Altras pretty much. Lone peaks are great for trail. I also have had good luck with the Brooks Ghost models as well.

If you haven’t ever done it, going to a running store and getting your foot/gait checked out to see what would fit you best. Usually you might get sold some expensive shoes there so you could choose to go home and look for better deals on their recommendation or buy them there as a thanks for helping you out. This analysis could help you feel better running longer distances too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
I'd echo the recommendation for going to a reputable running store (not Dick's or Academy, an actual running store) and having them look at your form and make some recommendations. That will help you both with these shoes and going forward because you'll know generally whether you need more cushioning, stability, or if you can get away with a more minimalist shoe. Most stores these days will stock shoes like Altras along with traditional (Brooks, Saucony, etc) running shoes so you can compare and contrast what zero drop feels like relative to a mainstream heel stack and they can tell you what your stride is doing from one shoe to the next.

You didn't mention it, but what kind of Nike's were you previously running in? Nike makes all kinds of shoes and if you're logging miles in a pair of minimalist or cross training shoes that could be a big part of the problem.

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
I can say that the sun has set on Ascics - Im running Brooks now and very pleased with make and performance.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
In order of importance:
1. Shoe type (zero drop, neutral, cushioning, stability, motion control) matching your needs.
2. Fit - many people buy shoes too small, or with toebox or heel that doesn't match their foot.
3. Brand - lots of good recommendations on here, but this is a lot like "what bullet should I shoot" without specifying the game or type of hunt. (Long time Asics Nimbus wearer)