Ruger American .308 threading head's up and question

Hey guys, I took my Ruger American barreled action in for threading yesterday. The suppressor I bought is the KGM R30T, and the included suppressor rear direct thread mount is threaded in 5/8-24. The Ruger RA .308 comes with a light contour 22" barrel, and after measuring at 16.5", it has the bare minimum for 5/8-24 according to local gunsmith. As a result, he (and KGM) recommended I go with 1/2-28 threads. This will require purchase of either a 1/2-28 rear mount for the suppressor or I can go with the 1/2-28 muzzle device for screwing on the can. They're both the same price.

Any real world benefits between rear direct thread mount vs. muzzle device for attaching the can?

If you use that can between different rifles it's probably easier to have the brake mounted to them and switch the can out just with the brakes. Let us know how you like the R30T, got mine but haven't shot it yet. I do like the looks of it. I'll be using it on rifles that are threaded 1/2 and threaded 5/8 so the muzzle brake/device works perfectly in my scenario.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
If you use that can between different rifles it's probably easier to have the brake mounted to them and switch the can out just with the brakes. Let us know how you like the R30T, got mine but haven't shot it yet. I do like the looks of it. I'll be using it on rifles that are threaded 1/2 and threaded 5/8 so the muzzle brake/device works perfectly in my scenario.
Mine is still in jail, but I'm "hoping" to emancipate it in a few weeks. The Pew study data was pretty positive compared to other Ti cans, and I got it on sale for like $400. At that price it was a great value for the money. I was also impressed that the FBI bought a crap ton of these suppressors, and hopefully this is demonstrative of their quality.

I plan to use on a 556 and .223 Wylde and I'm hoping they're also 1/2-28. However, I will have the included 5/8-24 factory brake to use on these and other rifles in the future as well. For ease in swapping the can, I'll probably go with a couple of the 1/2 brakes as you guys recommended.

Yeah that sale was legit. I got the R30T and the R556 for $750 total. Both look like well made pieces but haven't shot either yet. The R556 will probably just live on the SBR but the R30T will get swapped around a bit between a few rifles with mixed thread pitch so the muzzle devices for each one makes it easier for me.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Yeah that sale was legit. I got the R30T and the R556 for $750 total. Both look like well made pieces but haven't shot either yet. The R556 will probably just live on the SBR but the R30T will get swapped around a bit between a few rifles with mixed thread pitch so the muzzle devices for each one makes it easier for me.
Hopefully they run something similar in the future. I shoulda picked up 2 as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kgm makes those dead air silencers that have failed and need to be sent back. I’d probably spend my $$$ elsewhere, too many good companies out there to buy from companies with shoddy quality control.

jolemons

WKR
For my rifle that was in similar situation I keep a 1/2" to 5/8" adapter permanently threaded onto the rifle. It wears a thread protector when the can isn't installed.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Before you do that, ask them if they can mount a collar on it so that you can keep the 5/8-24 threads and get a good shoulder. Search my posts or tinhorn_AK’s posts to see some pics of this.