Ruck training

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I started mine last week with a 69 pound pack (pack plus sandbag).

I will do some heavy rucks at 120+ pounds by June. Right now I'm working on stamina at speed (shooting for 4 to 4.5 mph pace).

I also do squats (Starting Strength style), lunges, split bench squats, Etc with the ruck.

As a side note.

Rucking is easier on joints than running (unless you use a running stride, which you should not do). Many overtraining joint problems are due to improper form. Weak lateral gluteal muscles letting the knee cross midline (very hard on a hinge joint as it puts lateral stress on it) or over striding, which loads the knee poorly. Keep you strides short and speed up by increasing cadence rather than lengthening stride. Biomechanical systems respond to stress by getting stronger (unless overloaded) and as long as we give a progression in our training that allows that process to take place (unfortunately this is on the scale of years for cartilage and tendons and muscle/bone strength will out pace this) we do not use up our joints like a purely mechanical system gets used up. Based in current data, runners are probably less likely to need hip and knee replacement than none runners.

*zap*

WKR
The info below is a good program to look at. Reading the prior comments I can say that if you do not have 3 hrs a week to dedicate to fitness you may want to look at your lifestyle.

I started mine last week with a 69 pound pack (pack plus sandbag).

I will do some heavy rucks at 120+ pounds by June. Right now I'm working on stamina at speed (shooting for 4 to 4.5 mph pace).

I also do squats (Starting Strength style), lunges, split bench squats, Etc with the ruck.

As a side note.

Rucking is easier on joints than running (unless you use a running stride, which you should not do). Many overtraining joint problems are due to improper form. Weak lateral gluteal muscles letting the knee cross midline (very hard on a hinge joint as it puts lateral stress on it) or over striding, which loads the knee poorly. Keep you strides short and speed up by increasing cadence rather than lengthening stride. Biomechanical systems respond to stress by getting stronger (unless overloaded) and as long as we give a progression in our training that allows that process to take place (unfortunately this is on the scale of years for cartilage and tendons and muscle/bone strength will out pace this) we do not use up our joints like a purely mechanical system gets used up. Based in current data, runners are probably less likely to need hip and knee replacement than none runners.

I’m new to the rucking game so I’ve gotta ask, how do you average that speed? Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I can’t walk any faster then like 3.7-3.8mph. If I try to do like a walk/jog to pick up the pace my pack starts bouncing and it doesn’t take long to get really uncomfortable. And not the good kind of uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m new to the rucking game so I’ve gotta ask, how do you average that speed? Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I can’t walk any faster then like 3.7-3.8mph. If I try to do like a walk/jog to pick up the pace my pack starts bouncing and it doesn’t take long to get really uncomfortable. And not the good kind of uncomfortable.

Start with you typical daily carry weight and once you hit about 3.75 mph, add 10 pounds. Rinse and repeat until you get to a targeted weight.

I'd recommend not worrying about what others are able to do or claim to be able to do. We're all different and have different capabilities; main thing is to be able to get from Point A to Point B without too much incident. Who gives a rat f*ck if it takes you 2 minutes longer than a dude 1 foot taller and 100 pounds of muscle more than you.

FlyAK

FNG
It's never too soon to start training. I typically ruck only once a week to save my back. If its 8 miles or less I might be carrying up to 65lbs. Longer than that and its usually 25-35 lbs.

The bulk of my training actually comes from lunges, squats, and step ups. I can do those at any time, any day, at home with no prep or big time commitment. Most of the time they're just body weight and I'll do 200-300 lunges followed by 100 air squats all slow and steady with no breaks. Takes less than 20 minutes. Sometimes I do them weighted with 15lb KB in each hand, or if my kids are squirrely, I might be lunging while giving them a piggy-back ride. If they're weighted, I'm obviously cutting back the number of reps. I'm a huge fan of MTI's Leg Blaster and Calf Raise Intervals as well. Periodically I'll go heavy in the gym to develop max strength. I also do Single Leg Straight Leg deadlifts to give the hamstrings some love and stay balanced. Legs get trained every other day year-round. No excuse.

Core work is also huge, and weak hip flexors will wreck a hunt. Leg tuck and twist, Russian twists, leg lifts, flutter kicks, planks. Ensure you're doing your flutter kicks with some weight on your feet, whether it's your hunting boots of some ankle weights.

This has really given me some bulletproof legs and allows me to feel strong through long weeks of hunting despite crushing elevation gain, even during packouts.

Good luck developing your training plan!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

At the moment I don't. I average 3.5 mph (that was pushing a 30 pound double jogger stroller with 70 pounds of kids on flat ground in addition to the ruck), I peak at a little over 4 mph currently.

A walking stride at that pace is hard to keep without resorting to very long strides, which does not work well for endurance. Basically you have to take very rapid, short steps.

If you bounce, you are transitioning to a running stride which places very high forces on you legs and is probably a bad idea.

4.5 mph is my target because that is what the 3rd Infantry Division was expected to do in WWII. General George Patton more than once ordered the 3rd ID to halt outside of a city so he could catch up in his Jeep and be the first to enter. My reason for picking 4.5 mph has nothing to do with it being a good training pace and more to do with knowing it is possible.

Wags

WKR
I don't have time to drive to areas with terrain to hike so I take my pack to the gym and wear it on the stairmaster and alternate between it and the treadmill. I vary speeds, inclines and so on. I do this weekly throughout the year.

My wife and I are going to do "The Incline" in Manitou Springs in May so I've been on the stairmaster a lot more than normal recently.

As mentioned, core work is equally important and maintaining flexibility as well. It's one thing to just ruck and climb but being able to go over deadfalls, fences, under low branches and so on are essential as well. Train accordingly.

At the moment I don't. I average 3.5 mph (that was pushing a 30 pound double jogger stroller with 70 pounds of kids on flat ground in addition to the ruck), I peak at a little over 4 mph currently.

A walking stride at that pace is hard to keep without resorting to very long strides, which does not work well for endurance. Basically you have to take very rapid, short steps.

If you bounce, you are transitioning to a running stride which places very high forces on you legs and is probably a bad idea.

4.5 mph is my target because that is what the 3rd Infantry Division was expected to do in WWII. General George Patton more than once ordered the 3rd ID to halt outside of a city so he could catch up in his Jeep and be the first to enter. My reason for picking 4.5 mph has nothing to do with it being a good training pace and more to do with knowing it is possible.

Well now that I know 4.5 on flat ground is achievable I have to strive for it haha. I managed to get 3.8 this morning with 50lbs. Seems like there’s a very fine sweet spot where I was just on the cusp of a jog and my pack would very slightly sway left to right opposed to bouncing and I could really make some time. It was tricky to maintain that pace but practice makes perfect I reckon

gostovp

WKR
You guys rucking in the same boots you hunt with? Also are you rucking on pavement or on a gravel/dirt/off road?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys rucking in the same boots you hunt with? Also are you rucking on pavement or on a gravel/dirt/off road?
I ruck in low topped light hikers, approach shoes, and running shoes. I often hunt in the too, but sometimes in mountaineering boots depending.

Right now on pavement as there is still a foot or so of snow on all the trails, otherwise a mix depending on what is convenient.

*zap*

WKR
I believe that the army infantry standard is 12 miles in 3 hours with 60# but that can vary. There have been under 2 hour times.

Royal marines have to pass a 30 mile in 8 hour march with 35#. Officers need to do it in 7 hrs.

I would venture to say that although these things are attainable trying to do this on a very consistent basis month after month may lead to burn out unless you build up to it over years of training. Consistency is the key to fitness and moderation/judgement is the lock that key fits into. Yes, most people only do 40% of what they are capable of but if your out there rucking your already outside the 'most people' group. Kudos to all who ruck regularly no matter what speed/weight they do.

I would say start with lower standards for 3x a week steady for a month and evaluate your results at that time in order to adjust the parameters. You will still get benefits without as much risk of burn out/injury. I think that cns burnout is a very real consideration when doing any longer duration weight bearing fitness training.

Obviously, age/injury history and starting fitness level should have a huge bearing on your choices.

rclouse79

WKR
When do you start your weighted pack ruck training in prep for September and what weight do you carry?
A lot of years I do the stair stepper at the gym with 40 lbs of rock salt for the bulk of my training because it is convenient. I will usually throw on a YouTube elk hunt and pretend I am huffing along with them. I usually just use an old backpacking bag, figuring that my hunting pack has a finite lifespan.
This year I hope to do as much backpacking trips as I can during the summer to get ready. The preseason work is definitely worth it. In my experience, the better shape you are in the more enjoyable the season will be.

Remfire

FNG
50ish pound ruck up and down red rocks amphitheater as much as I can in the off season. I work right next to the amphitheater so makes it easier to get the steps in.

gostovp

WKR
I ruck in low topped light hikers, approach shoes, and running shoes. I often hunt in the too, but sometimes in mountaineering boots depending.

Right now on pavement as there is still a foot or so of snow on all the trails, otherwise a mix depending on what is convenient.
Thanks, I do a few hikes in my mountain boots, but I normally just hike in them enough to get them good and broken in as I don’t want to wear them out too fast lol. I also don’t like to hike/ruck in hunting boots on paved surfaces.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I believe that the army infantry standard is 12 miles in 3 hours with 60# but that can vary. There have been under 2 hour times.

Royal marines have to pass a 30 mile in 8 hour march with 35#. Officers need to do it in 7 hrs.

I would venture to say that although these things are attainable trying to do this on a very consistent basis month after month may lead to burn out unless you build up to it over years of training. Consistency is the key to fitness and moderation/judgement is the lock that key fits into. Yes, most people only do 40% of what they are capable of but if your out there rucking your already outside the 'most people' group. Kudos to all who ruck regularly no matter what speed/weight they do.

I would say start with lower standards for 3x a week steady for a month and evaluate your results at that time in order to adjust the parameters. You will still get benefits without as much risk of burn out/injury. I think that cns burnout is a very real consideration when doing any longer duration weight bearing fitness training.

Obviously, age/injury history and starting fitness level should have a huge bearing on your choices.
Agree. At the time (pre WWII) the Army manual said 2.5 mpg. When a subordinate officer pointed out this section in the manual to General Truscott, his reply was "you can throw that in the trash."

Just highlights your point. 4.5 is hauling, in hindsight, I probably should have just left the speed out.

I personally don't "ruck" but I do hike at least a couple times a week with 30-60lbs and depending on my available time and motivation it will be from 1-6 miles. Hiking with friends for competition helps, or timing and racing yourself will also help you to push yourself physically. I personally just try to keep moving(exercising) all year around then begin to ramp things up as seasons approach.
As others have said fitness goals, age, injuries, type of hunts etc. will all affect the way in which each individual works out. No "one size fits all" for physical fitness.

I do crossfit about 20 days a month all year...I start weighted hikes in Feb with a 25# plate once week. It's flatish here so I like to get 5 miles in in 80 minutes...once I hit that goal I add 10lbs, wash and repeat...I am usually at 65-75 lbs by the time I leave to hunt, depends on if I draw a early season or late season tag. All my hikes are in my hunting boots, loaded bino harness, and 2 liters of water.

CMF

WKR
We start tomorrow. Just happen to fill up some sandbags this morning to get ready. We usually do about 40-45lbs., sometimes I'll throw a 15lb dumbell on and maybe some water. Most hikes are 1-4 miles and throw in a 8-10 miler from time to time. We also run and bike some, and do some cardio/workout youtube videos that usually have lots of squats and lunges. We just keep it mixed up and don't have a consistent routine.

ccg951

FNG
The lbs. some of you are rucking is higher than I expected to hear; need to up my game. Started ~4 wks ago, 20 lbs, 4+ miles on paved hills. I'm ready to add 5 lbs. and have another go :)

Sept. will be my 1st elk hunt......

Clarktar

WKR
Mostly train with 20-23% of body weight. Once I get towards end of summer I look to hit 30% of body weight once every two weeks for 3 miles.

No need to consistently train with more than 25% of body weight in my opinion. I do modulate the time under load though from 45-60mins up to 2-3 hours from spring through summer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk