RRS TFCX-13 vs Ascend-14

I just received the new Really Right Stuff TFCX-13 tripod to compare to my Ascend-14 Compact/Platform.

I think that RRS could have done a bit more to develop a truly lightweight yet capable tripod.
It is significantly longer than the Ascend and also has beefier rubber feet.

When compared directly to the Ascend in direct mounted Anvil (MA-30L), there is only a 4 oz weight difference.

The Ascend allows for more versatility in these areas:

Longer extended height.
Shorter packed length.
Center column in 2 configurations.
1/4” micro head compatibility (RRS BC-18)

I’m going to send it back. If I want to reduce more weight, I’ll remove the lower leg sections of the Ascend and cap them off.

See below for following weights:

Ascend-14 (no center column)- 2 lbs 6 oz
W/ short center column: 2 lbs 10 oz
W/ long center column: 3 lbs
W/direct mount MA-30L: 3 lbs 2 oz
1 lower leg section of Ascend: 3 oz (x3 9 oz)

TFCX-13: 2 lbs 3 oz
W/ MA-30L: 2 lbs 14.5 oz

IMG_3640.jpeg

I just received the new Really Right Stuff TFCX-13 tripod to compare to my Ascend-14 Compact/Platform.

I think that RRS could have done a bit more to develop a truly lightweight yet capable tripod.
It is significantly longer than the Ascend and also has beefier rubber feet.

When compared directly to the Ascend in direct mounted Anvil (MA-30L), there is only a 4 oz weight difference.

The Ascend allows for more versatility in these areas:

Longer extended height.
Shorter packed length.
Center column in 2 configurations.
1/4” micro head compatibility (RRS BC-18)

I’m going to send it back. If I want to reduce more weight, I’ll remove the lower leg sections of the Ascend and cap them off.

See below for following weights:

Ascend-14 (no center column)- 2 lbs 6 oz
W/ short center column: 2 lbs 10 oz
W/ long center column: 3 lbs
W/direct mount MA-30L: 3 lbs 2 oz
1 lower leg section of Ascend: 3 oz (x3 9 oz)

TFCX-13: 2 lbs 3 oz
W/ MA-30L: 2 lbs 14.5 oz

View attachment 727887
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been happy with my ascend..I need to play with removing a leg section and using just the short center column. Would love to see what you come up with end caps

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been happy with my ascend..I need to play with removing a leg section and using just the short center column. Would love to see what you come up with end caps
I purchased rubber chair end caps off of Amazon for another tripod a couple years ago. I plan to measure the Ascend and do the same again. The end caps are not super light, but the net overall savings should atleast be a quarter lb., which is the difference between these two tripods.

The height of the Ascend without the lower legs is like 3 inches lower than the full length TFCX, but it’s not a big deal as neither would be standing height in that configuration anyhow.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
My biggest question would be how much shooting stability is improved from the Ascend-14 to the TFCX?
Zero. It’s the same tripod minus the lower leg sections of the Ascend. I find the Ascend a fantastic tripod to shoot from, from prone to kneeling, out to 800+ yards.

Sadler

WKR
Ascend-14 with lower legs removed and capped off with 1” chair end caps from Amazon.

With short center column and the RRS BC-18, it comes in at 2 lbs 8 oz.

Direct mounted MA-30L (Anvil clone) and it weighs 2 lbs 12 oz.

View attachment 731353
That looks way cleaner than my electrical tape and rubber caps. Do those stay on by a friction fit or did you have to use some sort of adhesive?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That looks way cleaner than my electrical tape and rubber caps. Do those stay on by a friction fit or did you have to use some sort of adhesive?
Friction fit. They can be pulled off, but not very easily. I may wrap some electrical tape directly around the threads underneath, so the caps fit a bit more snug though.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
What is the difference between the Ascend-14 and the TFCT-14? Looks like the TFCT doesn't have a center column but confused by the one listed at Europtics that is a TFCT-14L Ascend seems to be a combination of both.

I currently use a Feisol 3342 with RRS universal Leveling base and like shooting off this setup and do not mind glassing off the leveling base at all. Unfortunately I came across The Center Column and my satisfaction with my tripod setup has turned to arsonist inclinations towards my wallet and stiffness envy.

I do not want to go with a heavier tripod if possible and have heard conflicting reports regarding the Anvil-30 for shooting compared to the U-LB.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
What is the difference between the Ascend-14 and the TFCT-14? Looks like the TFCT doesn't have a center column but confused by the one listed at Europtics that is a TFCT-14L Ascend seems to be a combination of both.

I currently use a Feisol 3342 with RRS universal Leveling base and like shooting off this setup and do not mind glassing off the leveling base at all. Unfortunately I came across The Center Column and my satisfaction with my tripod setup has turned to arsonist inclinations towards my wallet and stiffness envy.

I do not want to go with a heavier tripod if possible and have heard conflicting reports regarding the Anvil-30 for shooting compared to the U-LB.
The TFCT uses the same legs, yet does not have a center column. They don’t make the standard height version any more, only the Long one. When mounting an Anvil-30 (or Leofoto MA-30L), the Ascend has the distinct advantage of being able to seat the head down into the apex where the center column was removed from, resulting in a far more secure connection. This is opposed to just screwing the head onto a regular 3/8 stud like the TFCT and most tripods have.

There are no conflicting reports by anyone who has actually used an Anvil or MA-30L. It is without question the best shooting head available.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
The TFCT uses the same legs, yet does not have a center column. They don’t make the standard height version any more, only the Long one. When mounting an Anvil-30 (or Leofoto MA-30L), the Ascend has the distinct advantage of being able to seat the head down into the apex where the center column was removed from, resulting in a far more secure connection. This is opposed to just screwing the head onto a regular 3/8 stud like the TFCT and most tripods have.

There are no conflicting reports by anyone who has actually used an Anvil or MA-30L. It is without question the best shooting head available.
Thank you for the quick reply. I see now what you mean about the heads seated differently which answers my question about the EurOptic link. Must be a special pkg they sell without the center column as I didn't see that listed on RRS.com site.

Attachments

• TFCT-14  Standard.png
    TFCT-14 Standard.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 7
  • TFCT-14 Ascend EurOptic Special.png
    TFCT-14 Ascend EurOptic Special.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 7

Lawnboi

WKR
Do you mean it is better suited to sitting vs standing? What are you using now?

PS Hello from Madison
I had an early ascend without a center colum and now own a 24L I use for everything.

The 14 was plenty stable for hunting rifles from seated kneeling, and got pretty wobbly when standing. Eventually I’ll probably own a 14L as a dedicated hunting tripod, the 24L is a bit much but is very stable.

Located up near tomahawk here.