RRS TFCX-13 vs Ascend-14

I just received the new Really Right Stuff TFCX-13 tripod to compare to my Ascend-14 Compact/Platform.

I think that RRS could have done a bit more to develop a truly lightweight yet capable tripod.
It is significantly longer than the Ascend and also has beefier rubber feet.

When compared directly to the Ascend in direct mounted Anvil (MA-30L), there is only a 4 oz weight difference.

The Ascend allows for more versatility in these areas:

Longer extended height.
Shorter packed length.
Center column in 2 configurations.
1/4” micro head compatibility (RRS BC-18)

I’m going to send it back. If I want to reduce more weight, I’ll remove the lower leg sections of the Ascend and cap them off.

See below for following weights:

Ascend-14 (no center column)- 2 lbs 6 oz
W/ short center column: 2 lbs 10 oz
W/ long center column: 3 lbs
W/direct mount MA-30L: 3 lbs 2 oz
1 lower leg section of Ascend: 3 oz (x3 9 oz)

TFCX-13: 2 lbs 3 oz
W/ MA-30L: 2 lbs 14.5 oz

IMG_3640.jpeg

I just received the new Really Right Stuff TFCX-13 tripod to compare to my Ascend-14 Compact/Platform.

I think that RRS could have done a bit more to develop a truly lightweight yet capable tripod.
It is significantly longer than the Ascend and also has beefier rubber feet.

When compared directly to the Ascend in direct mounted Anvil (MA-30L), there is only a 4 oz weight difference.

The Ascend allows for more versatility in these areas:

Longer extended height.
Shorter packed length.
Center column in 2 configurations.
1/4” micro head compatibility (RRS BC-18)

I’m going to send it back. If I want to reduce more weight, I’ll remove the lower leg sections of the Ascend and cap them off.

See below for following weights:

Ascend-14 (no center column)- 2 lbs 6 oz
W/ short center column: 2 lbs 10 oz
W/ long center column: 3 lbs
W/direct mount MA-30L: 3 lbs 2 oz
1 lower leg section of Ascend: 3 oz (x3 9 oz)

TFCX-13: 2 lbs 3 oz
W/ MA-30L: 2 lbs 14.5 oz

View attachment 727887
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been happy with my ascend..I need to play with removing a leg section and using just the short center column. Would love to see what you come up with end caps

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been happy with my ascend..I need to play with removing a leg section and using just the short center column. Would love to see what you come up with end caps
I purchased rubber chair end caps off of Amazon for another tripod a couple years ago. I plan to measure the Ascend and do the same again. The end caps are not super light, but the net overall savings should atleast be a quarter lb., which is the difference between these two tripods.

The height of the Ascend without the lower legs is like 3 inches lower than the full length TFCX, but it’s not a big deal as neither would be standing height in that configuration anyhow.