Rookie floorless shelter question

joelski

FNG
I've been doing quite a bit of research on floorless shelters and am pretty sold. Eyeing the Seek Outside Guardian, which combined with a stove is still lighter than my current 4 season backpacking tent. Great weight savings, optional to do a hot tent, big enough to run it with 2 guys if you're good being cozy, etc.

The one question I have (definitely feels like a dumb one but I can't figure out how this would play out): if you're running a hot tent and backpacking with snow on the ground, do you just try to dig out as much snow as you can under your shelter and then dry it out by lighting up the stove? What's the best move in a situation like that?

Northpark

WKR
Yes just kick the snow out of the way. It doesn’t melt and dry out. You’ll need a ground cloth the keep your bag and pad off the snow. About the only area that really melts out at all is the area directly under the stove.

Northpark

WKR
Oh and I I have the cimmaron lite and it’s perfect for two plus gear and stove.

If there's a small enough amount of snow cover to dig to the ground that's what you should do.

If you're on top of 7' of snow like some places in the Cascades right now you can compact your tent site and deadman your lines. Just gotta put the stove legs on something to shield the snow below it. Ground sheet under your sleep system of course.

OP
J

joelski

FNG
Yes just kick the snow out of the way. It doesn’t melt and dry out. You’ll need a ground cloth the keep your bag and pad off the snow. About the only area that really melts out at all is the area directly under the stove.
Good to know, couldn't picture if a stove would completely dry it out or not since I don't have any experience with them. Thanks!
Oh and I I have the cimmaron lite and it’s perfect for two plus gear and stove.
Do you feel like the Cimmaron Lite would be overkill for 1? That'll probably be my main use is backpacking solo in the summer, but it would be nice if I could find something that doubles for late season hunts with a buddy.

OP
J

joelski

FNG
If there's a small enough amount of snow cover to dig to the ground that's what you should do.

If you're on top of 7' of snow like some places in the Cascades right now you can compact your tent site and deadman your lines. Just gotta put the stove legs on something to shield the snow below it. Ground sheet under your sleep system of course.
Very helpful, thanks!

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
You’ve gotten good answers, I’ll add that condensation is a bitch in these circumstances. I’ve never used a liner but I’ve certainly wished for one.

Do you feel like the Cimmaron Lite would be overkill for 1? That'll probably be my main use is backpacking solo in the summer, but it would be nice if I could find something that doubles for late season hunts with a buddy.
It's pretty spacious for one person. I have used an eoulus for most solo stuff, but am tempted to use my cimarron more.

If you can only have one. I think the cimarron lite is a good choice.

I wouldn’t really want much of a smaller tent than a cimarron when using a stove and two people

By the time you have a nice wood pile in the tent, stove, 2 guys sleeping stuff, wet stuff drying, and whatever else you want out of the rain/snow it uses up a lot of the space. You still want to have space for both of you to get in/out of the tent, sit up get dressed, put your boots on, make some coffee or breakfast in the am, ect.

3B7F2AAF-945D-455A-84E5-2348715D0F89.jpeg
Here is how my buddy and I use the cimarron tent with stove. Wood pile goes between the stove and zipper by our heads. In this photo it was warm, we had both doors open. Normally one door is staked down, and we both go in and out one side down by our feet.

272D4C38-372B-442A-8377-9988A66AE29A.jpeg

REI has couple pretty nice 1 man tents between $98- $159 that would work great for your summer solo trips without spending a fortune. I used one of these for a lot of years, great tent.

I think this is a great solution to add to a cimarron hot tent for what you want.

If you try to get a tent that is a solo summer tent, and a 2 man hit tent for winter weather
You probably not going to be happy in one of the scenarios.

OP
J

joelski

FNG
You’ve gotten good answers, I’ll add that condensation is a bitch in these circumstances. I’ve never used a liner but I’ve certainly wished for one.
That makes sense. I would've guessed the stove helps somewhat in these circumstances but if the whole interior ground is still covered in snow it can't solve the whole issue. Thanks for the call out!

OP
J

joelski

FNG
Here is how my buddy and I use the cimarron tent with stove. Wood pile goes between the stove and zipper by our heads. In this photo it was warm, we had both doors open. Normally one door is staked down, and we both go in and out one side down by our feet.
Really helpful to see a layout like this. Might need to take a closer look at the Cimmaron...and here I thought I had my whole shelter decision made up 😂

OP
J

joelski

FNG
If you try to get a tent that is a solo summer tent, and a 2 man hit tent for winter weather
You probably not going to be happy in one of the scenarios.
Yeah a lot of times I'll just backpack with a tarp, but looking for something that would be able to hold up in the wind a bit better. Probably a very accurate point that if I try to land on just one shelter for all the applications I'll be disappointed though. Appreciate the input!

Northpark

WKR
Good to know, couldn't picture if a stove would completely dry it out or not since I don't have any experience with them. Thanks!

Cimmaron is overkill for one but I’ve used it for a single man shelter. It’s pretty nice for two late season

rclouse79

WKR
I wouldn’t want to go any smaller than a cimmaron with a wood stove, especially with two people. Losing sleeping bags or puffy coats that brush up against the stove stinks. Don’t ask me how I know.

I wouldn’t want to go any smaller than a cimmaron with a wood stove, especially with two people. Losing sleeping bags or puffy coats that brush up against the stove stinks. Don’t ask me how I know.
Hey at least I am not the only one. My old sleeping bag has at least 3-4 patches sewn on because of stoves in "hot tents''.

I use my Kifaru Tut solo, with 2, and 2 with a stove. (It’s similar in size to the Cimarron but taller). Every time I start to think about downsizing from the Tut for solo use I remember how much I love the extra space when solo. Gives me room to move around and stage gear without crawling over it. Really can’t imagine using a smaller shelter when the Tut offers so much space at such a slight weight penalty. I’d think the Cimarron would be the same decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you really Hot 🥵 tent if you have not melted expensive gear🤣 my buddy his wm badger first night melted the corner feathers floating around I had patch kit ready all good and I was laughing so hard🤣 guess who then melted his bag💯🤙

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425