Floorless Tipi or Double Wall shelter ?

rclouse79

WKR
I think it depends on your trip and what your goals are. If I were going solo and wanted to hunt hard, I would probably bring a tent or tarp and bivy. I have been excited to take my 13 year old son on a backpack hunt this October. I am going to bring my Cimmaron and xl wood stove for that trip. From a 13 year old’s perspective, watching a movie in a warm tent end of a cold day might be the highlight of the trip.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This is a bit late to help you, but perhaps someone else.

I use SO shelters in AK. I have a Cimarron, a Redcliff, and a Silex. I had a Silvertip. Condensation sucked in the Silvertip because it was hard not to brush the walls. The steeper walls of the Silex largely fixes this, though the footbox of my quilt will get damp from rubbing the side.

Condensation is not really an issue in the Cimarron or Redcliff. It happens, but unless you hit the sides it is not a problem. Using guy lines to pull the sides out gives more space and makes life easier.

I have a stove, rarely are they worth the trouble backpacking, though I usually break camp and move every day, so some of that is style.

rclouse79

WKR
This is a bit late to help you, but perhaps someone else.

I use SO shelters in AK. I have a Cimarron, a Redcliff, and a Silex. I had a Silvertip. Condensation sucked in the Silvertip because it was hard not to brush the walls. The steeper walls of the Silex largely fixes this, though the footbox of my quilt will get damp from rubbing the side.

Condensation is not really an issue in the Cimarron or Redcliff. It happens, but unless you hit the sides it is not a problem. Using guy lines to pull the sides out gives more space and makes life easier.

I have a stove, rarely are they worth the trouble backpacking, though I usually break camp and move every day, so some of that is style.
I just camped in the backyard with my daughter in a cimmaron this weekend. Before I guyed out the point where our heads were, I tied it around a tall stick pressed into the ground. The cord pulling up on the anchor point made a huge difference in creating more head room.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Having a packable, small woodstove can be a real plus. Helps keep the spirits up too when inclement weather sets in and you sit in the tent at night.

I have an Kifaru Tut tent, model discontinued for some time now. Had a custom interior sil-nylon liner made for it. Liner stakes at the tent stake ground points, Liner matches the peak & tent angles, and has stove jack for stove pipe. Makes the difference, no condensation. Dries damp or wet clothes, nice & toasty warm before hitting the sack.
When I'm dead tired after several days of hunting, that fire in the stove at night is a R&R for my mind.