Floorless 2 person shelter

BradS

FNG
Looking to purchase a new 2 person floorless shelter for 2 bigger guys + some gear. Primarily will be used for bivy hunting for elk and deer in September and early October. We have previously used a Mountainsmith lt shelter but it is a little tight. I have been looking at the seek outside Eolus(fly only) and the Durston X-mid 2(non-pro). We would primarily be using the X-mid fly only, but the nest would be nice when needeed for other seasons. Wondering if anyone has experience with both of these shelters in tarp only configurations.

If you guys are going to be sharing a tent with gear, I’d have to think that the Eolus and Xmid will be really tight. Something like the Cimarron would be significantly more spacious, albeit with a weight penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mthayr

WKR
Yeah, I had the SO, and have the (Pro) X-Mid 2, and the for two guys plus gear, either of the above wouldn't be much roomier than what you have. A Cimeron or 4P tipi seems a better fit for your description. If weight isn't too much of an issue, maybe try this.

Looking to purchase a new 2 person floorless shelter for 2 bigger guys + some gear. Primarily will be used for bivy hunting for elk and deer in September and early October. We have previously used a Mountainsmith lt shelter but it is a little tight. I have been looking at the seek outside Eolus(fly only) and the Durston X-mid 2(non-pro). We would primarily be using the X-mid fly only, but the nest would be nice when needeed for other seasons. Wondering if anyone has experience with both of these shelters in tarp only configurations.
The Kuiu Summit Refuge 3p looks like a copy of the Mountainsmith LT but it's a little bit larger footprint. Dunno if it's enough but figured I'd throw it out there in case you liked the design and just needed a little more elbow room. I think it's lighter too.

thisguy

FNG
I have the xmid 2p non pro. Running it as a tarp only it would fit 2 guys and gear if you're packing light. But I hate sharing a tent and at only a pound I don't see the reason to share it for weight savings. As far as the nest goes it is nice but I wouldn't share it with anyone but my wife. I'm 6'3 and we're both slim, there's no way 2 big guys are fitting in there without being on top of each other

Landon4

Lil-Rokslider
I to would recommend the SO cimarron, I have that and the guardian and for 2 people I prefer the cimarron

Just used the Cimarron Lt in the Sierras last weekend for 3 nights @ 11k ft. It was nice and had plenty of room for my brother and I plus our gear. It is about 5.5lbs with the stove if you wanted to use it later into the season. The only problem with a larger tent is finding a place to pitch it.

Yooper

WKR
I like my space so I usually carry a SO Redcliff when it's me and my hunting partner. Split the tent and the stakes/carbon pole, and it's not bad to carry around. Only downside is the larger footprint needed.

I am retiring my SL5 this year finally. Just bought a Cimarron. It will work well for what you are describing. My buddy and I are both 6'5" and 230. For late season rifle hunts we run a 6 man Seek tipi. I like the double doors and sod skirts on the Seeks. Have had the 6 man in some sketchy wind, rain and snow. Always been able to stay out longer. Most times that equals success!

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 would be great for 2 people. I love mine and don't feel bad about the extra room when I take it solo for as light as it is.

Trial153

WKR
Nick’s suggestion above is a good one, I would add in Sawtooth and Cim all three are big enough for two and some gear.

Meals7

FNG
I've been taking a close look at the SO cimarron. I like the simplicity of the design. The peax looks cool but has a ton of seams that worries me.

My partner and I use the Kifaru Tut and Seek Outside Cimarron with great success as a solo and 2 man plus gear shelter set up. Can't say either of us have any complaints with them after several seasons of use.

They kind of fly under the radar, but I've got a BPWD Luna 6. Has a 10 x 10 footprint, although "only" 6' tall at the peak. Easy for 2 guys and all gear. Ive had 3 plus the stove in it before but had to store most gear outside. He will customize as well and the pricepoint was decent. Will also do Cuben fiber, but can't run a stove in that case.