RokStok

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
My main question, concern is how does the negative comb affect "point ability" I'm a close range whitetail hunter. So the lack of barrel jump, and the fact that this is offered in left hand, really interests me. But does it take longer to shoulder this stock and get your head in just the right place to look through the scope? And what about scopes that have different eye reliefs depending on the magnification setting? Am I better off going with a more parallel stock like stockys vg2?

JCMCUBIC

WKR
My main question, concern is how does the negative comb affect "point ability" I'm a close range whitetail hunter. So the lack of barrel jump, and the fact that this is offered in left hand, really interests me. But does it take longer to shoulder this stock and get your head in just the right place to look through the scope? And what about scopes that have different eye reliefs depending on the magnification setting? Am I better off going with a more parallel stock like stockys vg2?

I'm interested in spending some time with it shooting off-hand and unsupported. I'm planning to shoot the same barreled action in the Stocky sporter, VG, and the Rokstock from prone, seated rested, and standing off hand. I think it will be as good as it gets from prone. I think muzzle rise will be minimized in all positions. I'm most curious about standing/unsupported...fit or "point ability" as you mentioned. The classic style stock is designed around upright shooting. Finding out first hand how this will work there makes me look forward to spending time with it.

On the S2H podcast where they recap an elk hunt, Luke took at least one off-hand shot and said it was very natural to get into the stock/optic and on target.

I don't get the pointability stuff. It's not a shotgun. I'm sure it feels different coming to shoulder than a drop at heel stock with an open grip so I'm going to go ahead and guess that there will be people who say it "doesn't point as good" because it feels different. The heel will obviously come up faster so one would have to give it a little more clearance to not snag on your shoulder. Once you're shouldered i can't imagine how it wouldn't "point" at a target as good as anything.

On the S2H podcast where they recap an elk hunt, Luke took at least one off-hand shot and said it was very natural to get into the stock/optic and on target.
Don't watch Luke's shooting on the youtube version that accompanied that story..

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I don't get the pointability stuff. It's not a shotgun. I'm sure it feels different coming to shoulder than a drop at heel stock with an open grip so I'm going to go ahead and guess that there will be people who say it "doesn't point as good" because it feels different. The heel will obviously come up faster so one would have to give it a little more clearance to not snag on your shoulder. Once you're shouldered i can't imagine how it wouldn't "point" at a target as good as anything.

Don't watch Luke's shooting on the youtube version that accompanied that story..
Sorry. I'm not good at explaining what I mean. The negative comb design just makes me worry that your head has to be in a very exact spot to see through the scope. And the correct spot may change as you zoom your scope in/out. And it may take me longer than usual to get my head in the correct spot to shoot quickly. I understand we aren't waterfowl hunting, but I do hunt very thick cover where fast close shots are likely. But maybe I am overthinking this.

lak2004

WKR

I keep wondering the same thing about that comment. Do people think it's going to be like sighting with an angled spotter or something? Or do all these people have cerebral palsy?

Sorry. I'm not good at explaining what I mean. The negative comb design just makes me worry that your head has to be in a very exact spot to see through the scope. And the correct spot may change as you zoom your scope in/out. And it may take me longer than usual to get my head in the correct spot to shoot quickly. I understand we aren't waterfowl hunting, but I do hunt very thick cover where fast close shots are likely. But maybe I am overthinking this.
I have been shooting a couple of alterras with negative comb for the past few thousand rounds including a running 30 yard shot on the deer in my profile pic; it’s a non issue for me. can’t imagine it would be too much different with the rokstock just get it set up correctly with your eye relief.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
07183d351bffeda95e5cede68ce473d3.jpg

80b0c93eff858c3eba2185fc162f3fed.jpg

Get a grip! We are ready to ROK and roll now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a couple of alterras with negative comb for the past few thousand rounds including a running 30 yard shot on the deer in my profile pic; it’s a non issue for me. can’t imagine it would be too much different with the rokstock just get it set up correctly with your eye relief.
But that's my question, does the eye relief change enough with a variable power scope to cause an issue?

I see what you're saying. I guess we'll see in practice but in my mind as long as a guy doesn't mount his scope too low or require a hard cheek weld I don't foresee a problem.

If i were king of the rokstok I would have had less degree of negative comb for this reason (leaving the heel height where it is and resulting in a higher comb height) but I also am not worried about it being an issue. And just because that is what makes sense in my head it doesn't mean it would actually be better.

wyosam

WKR
But that's my question, does the eye relief change enough with a variable power scope to cause an issue?

Set it up so eye relief is right as you naturally pull it up on low power (or whatever you carry it set at). Those shots you want more magnification on will mostly likely have a bit more time to get squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Set it up so eye relief is right as you naturally pull it up on low power (or whatever you carry it set at). Those shots you want more magnification on will mostly likely have a bit more time to get squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great idea. Thank you for the suggestion.