RokStok

wnelson14

WKR
The impression I got in one of the podcasts and also in Form's reply is that a stock is ordered for a specific order, rather than a commodity to fulfill that order. IE a stock is made as stockys and shipped for order #1. Say the specifications were exactly the same for stock order #2. It sounds like if #1 has issues and needs to get sent back it remains allotted to order #1 regardless if the stock provided for #2 is good to go. Order #2 gets fulfilled before #1.

Assuming that is correct its likely due to how they're tracking order fulfillment. But that doesn't change the frustration at the customer level who likely feel like it should internally be sourced as a commodity and exactly matching orders (with the only variation being paint scheme) should go in order of available stocks that have passed QC already. It also gets confusing on how stocks that aren't suitable for bare carbon get shifted to a coated order, IE if that transfer of order assignment can occur then what is preventing stock #2 in the example above from being reallocated to stock #1?

That sound accurate?
Makes total sense and that’s how I figured it would work. Maybe UM needs to just get flat top rokstocks and take inletting in house, which I’m sure is getting worked on.

ElPollo

WKR
Yes, but if you simply build out the front of the grip to make it closer to the trigger, you’ve got this big grip that opens the hand up. I want the whole grip closer to the trigger, not just the front.
You are correct. Even if you only add material to the front of the grip, it gets harder to hold on to. I don’t find this to be a problem with shooting, but you definitely notice it carrying and handling the gun.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Makes total sense and that’s how I figured it would work. Maybe UM needs to just get flat top rokstocks and take inletting in house, which I’m sure is getting worked on.
The material is apparently hard on tooling to inlet so I can see why they want stockys to handle it. But something like a "arca/pic tikka 3B intended for paint" could be a commodity. I mean when they plan to eventually inventory some I expect that is how it would be treated and then the customer just has it painted to preference?

amassi

WKR
Any update on the rokstock lite? I heard it on the podcast but cannot track it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
For the sake of the argument (I’m not arguing at all)
But Order number:
# 1, is a 3b tikka with rail and gets messed up and sent back to stockys to be fixed

And say order #4 (or whatever number in sequence) is a 3b tikka with a rail and gets finished perfectly, I would assume they would use this stock and ship order #1 there stock. And used the “re worked” stock coming back for a different order.

You can’t do that due to flush cups or not, location and number of flush cups, sling swivels or not, and type of rail.

Luvda208

FNG
Is it simply a matter of too many options? Im guessing the rail issues and flush cups alone prevent stockys from sending out the stock ready to go.

Reactions: NSI
If everyone would have taken Form's advice and just went with a plain foreend, I bet most people would have their stocks and we'd be begging for a rokstok lite pre-order right now!

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
If everyone would have taken Form's advice and just went with a plain foreend, I bet most people would have their stocks and we'd be begging for a rokstok lite pre-order right now!
I swapped my order to the plain for end and added cerakote - which may mean I get it faster. But I’m not counting on it for this season

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Assuming that is correct its likely due to how they're tracking order fulfillment. But that doesn't change the frustration at the customer level who likely feel like it should internally be sourced as a commodity and exactly matching orders (with the only variation being paint scheme) should go in order of available stocks that have passed QC already. It also gets confusing on how stocks that aren't suitable for bare carbon get shifted to a coated order, IE if that transfer of order assignment can occur then what is preventing stock #2 in the example above from being reallocated to stock #1?

That sound accurate?

No, that’s not correct. Flush cups or not, location of flush cups, number of flush cups sling swivels or not, number of sling swivels, rail type, etc. Those are all done before UM gets the stock, and can not really be changed.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Sounds like managing too many SKUs is the problem.

I don't own a business, but my solution would be:
-Only 2 barrel channels and ditch the factory contour.
-All railed stocks get milled for the Arca/pic Spartan/pic as they can then take any rail. Create a drop in plug for the counterbore Spartan hole.
-Charge extra for any flushcup instal other than standard and install the variations at UM. Charge extra for sling swivels and install at UM. No flushcups on railed stocks would also be extra, call it a customization charge.

Now, you have reduced it to 4 variations total arriving from Stocky's. Some people will whine, that is life.

Edit: 8 Tikka variations given left and right handed.

Rem 700 footprint would be 24 SKUs given short, medium, and long actions. This could be reduced to 16 if medium actions were dropped (or charge a customization fee as mediums are a solution to nothing anyway).

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No, that’s not correct. Flush cups or not, location of flush cups, number of flush cups sling swivels or not, number of sling swivels, rail type, etc. Those are all done before UM gets the stock, and can not really be changed.
I wasn't really aware folks were making custom requests around those. I had thought you got the two side flush cups with a railed stock and you got swivel slings with the non-railed.

Yes I realize the type of rail and barrel inlet make a difference but that is a more broad category of commodities (4 rail types and 3 inlets, so 12 variations with likely a concentration towards a few variations being most commonly ordered).

But if folks were making custom requests regularly around the flush cups, etc. then that does all go out the window if stockys is performing that work rather than UM.

atmat

WKR
-All railed stocks get milled for the Arca/pic as they can then take any rail. Create a drop in plug for the counterbore Spartan hole.
In chatting with Stocky’s, I am pretty sure this is how the rails are handled — with the Spartan hole being handled at UM. I could have misunderstood, though

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
In chatting with Stocky’s, I am pretty sure this is how the rails are handled — with the Spartan hole being handled at UM. I could have misunderstood, though
Lol, I intended to type Spartan/pic, but either way would achieve the same result.

Yes I realize the type of rail and barrel inlet make a difference but that is a more broad category of commodities (4 rail types and 3 inlets, so 12 variations with likely a concentration towards a few variations being most commonly ordered).

You also forget right/left hand which doubles the SKU count per action type. Tikka no rail has the fewest SKU while Tikka rail, R700 SA/MA/LA have the same. So for original pre-order there were over 100 SKU