Rokslide Weight loss/Weight gain goal thread

Boreal

WKR
Excellent idea. We all need accountability to get the job done.

I'm currently 202. @5'10". BF about 15-17%. Always been broad shouldered and deep chested, a swimmer's body. Ideally I should be around 185-190. Takes forever to drop that last 20! Especially as I get closer to 45.

I've been irregular about getting to the gym, very committed for a while, then I travel for work and it all goes to hell again. I need to make that a bigger priority. When I'm good, I ride a bike on the road, mountain, or on a trainer 3-4 x per week for about an hr. Roughly 1000 cal per hour. Then core strength like planks, crunches, spiders. Lunges and squats.

Current set, all with just body weight:
6-10 squats
6-10 plyo push-ups
6-10 alt lunge jumps
6-10 spiders
6-10 burpeys with 180 deg jump

Do one set, rest 1 minute.

Then do the whole thing again with one less rep. Keep it up till down to one rep of each.

Good luck!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Did another 30 minutes on stairway to Jesus last night.

This morning:
20 minutes in the pool (overhand stroke)

Dumbbell lunges for 10 minutes

Leg extensions 4x15
Hamstring curls 4x15
Sumo squats 4x15
4x50 push ups
15 minutes of abs

I gotta go eat now....damn I'm hungry!

a3dhunter

WKR
Current weight 278 lbs.
1st goal weight 250 lbs
2nd goal weight 230 lbs.

Started back at the gym Sunday, swimming for 10 minutes kicked my butt. I used to be a good swimmer, now I sink! Then the treadmill for 15 minutes.
Still trying to rehab a torn ankle so nothing too serious. Then leg extension, hamstring curls, and squats all on a machine. bench press, incline press, and seated row all on machine.
With free weights I did arm raises, front arm raises, curls, and lunges.

Of all the exercises, the lunges are what I probably need to improve on the most. Poor form and poor balance need to improve greatly, and it would be nice to swim efficiently again.

I do hate how much my appetite increases once I start working out, it seems I'm always hungry and I hate that feeling.

Aron, were the lunges in sets? what do you mean for 10 minutes? Non stop????? :D

Did another 30 minutes on stairway to Jesus last night.

This morning:
20 minutes in the pool (overhand stroke)

Dumbbell lunges for 10 minutes

Leg extensions 4x15
Hamstring curls 4x15
Sumo squats 4x15
4x50 push ups
15 minutes of abs

I gotta go eat now....damn I'm hungry!

Alphaman77

Lil-Rokslider
I started January 8 this year at 248 and left September 10 at 200 flat. I came home at 190 and have been super lazy since. I'm setting at 205 but plan on giving up the celebration and getting back to running and lifting every night. That will probably lead to a divorce but my goal for this September is 180. I don't really have a set workout plan just hit the treadmill for a couple miles then lift weights for 30-45 minutes and then run 1 mile and walk a 1/2 to cool down. This year I am going to be loading up my pack a lot more and carrying a load. That was the one thing I felt needed more work in the hills. And one other goal is to find a good job closer to my wife's family and get moved closer to the mountains so if any of you guys know of a good job on the front range let me know.

rhendrix

WKR
I'm in...I weighed in at 247 this morning. I was weighing in at 236 before I left. I'm planning on using the Mountain Athlete Big Game Hunting program, I still don't know how I'm going to stretch it out over 8 months, but I'll post that information in the fitness forum. Regardless...my goal weight is 215 or under. I've ate whatever I want for the past several months and used my hectic schedule and my wife being pregnant as an excuse. Time to get my shit together!

Clarktar

WKR
I'm in. 5'11'' 205 lbs. Bf=?? How do you figure it out? I would like to be in single digits regardless. I am wanting to get down to 185. I will be starting a new Gym routine once I get settled in the new house, probably starting Jan 1st? Until then, I will be mountain biking (hills), and jogging 3-5 miles each day. Will also be doing at least 30 minutes of stretching. My diet is pretty solid, just fell off the wagon with a 4 month field work session, then moving out of state.

185 here I come!

jmez

WKR
6'0" right at 200. Don't want to lose any weight, just maintain. Haven't measured BF% in a long time but it would be around 8%-10%. I lift every day. I also do cardio most days, stairmaster, some sort of exercise circuits or mountain bike. My diet is good, I eat pretty healthy.

Exercise circuit examples would be jump rope for 1 minute, 10 burpees, 30 box jumps, do 5 sets of this. As little rest as possible between sets. Jump rope 1 min 10 burpees x 10 sets no rest between. 10 burpees and then sprint up driveway, (80 yards and steep) as many sets as I can do. I just make most of this stuff up as I go.

Also try to swim once a week. That just flat sucks ass. You think you are in shape go jump in a pool and swim 800 meters.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
90 minutes with 65 lbs on green mountain.....

Heading to gym now.

Hit 193 this morning!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385554219830.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385554219830.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 82

hflier

WKR
I am 51 years and I am at 185lbs at 5'6" (I have a fair amount of muscle under the fat) and my goals is to be at 165lbs by March. I am going to crank up the cardio and aerobics including starting to do some long packs during the weekends. I can't lift much because it actually causes me to gain weight in muscle. I want to hit next season in the best condition since I was in the Army!

unm1136

WKR
I really did not want to get into this thread, but maybe the extra accountability will do me good. Last year (41 years old) saw some really weird blood lipids during my annual checkup. Total Cholesterol and LDL were through the roof, but HDL and Triglycerides were so good that they actually subtracted risk factors that the LDL and Total Cholesterol were adding. If I can get my BMI below 20 and get my blood lipids squared away I won't have to go on statins. Started 6'01 and 204, BMI 26.5. Currently 192, to get BMI below 20 I need to get below 160 or so. I have until May to get there.

I started really good, Primal diet (lean meat, good fats, eggs, replaced all grains with veggies, cheese is OK in moderation) and intermittent fasting, and cardio. Marriage got a little rough and the kids are kids, so I hit the plateau at 192, and ballooned back up to 198 by not being careful with diet, (I eat when I am bored and have access to food, shift work prevents scheduling workouts and meals, and started drinking a bit too much as an escape hatch) Got back on the horse four weeks ago and dropped six pounds. No booze, no grains, 4-6 servings of cheese a week, lots of veggies, meat. Switched to suspension trainer and began emphasizing resistance vice cardio. Will be working cardio back in first of the year, and will likely get back on P90X, as that so far is my favorite workout plan, and is regimented enough to provide some variety and guidance when I just don't feel like working out. Suspension trainer program is getting me an hour of elevated heart rate and good muscle growth every day. Jan 1 will be adding running back in to the mix 3x a week, and in March will return to rucking for an hour a day 2x a week to that.

One thing I am learning to do is add 50% to the amount of time that I am using a specific plan before I switch it up. My shift generally permits me to work out at work about 60-70% of the time. I end up missing workouts and killing myself to make them up. If I try to hit 4 out of six scheduled workouts in a week I am learning to be happy with that. Working out at home is really a challenge, but I think I have found a happy time that will give me about 80 minutes to work out in on my days off. So missing workouts may become a thing of the past.

The other thing I am learning to do is cook in bulk on my days off, and take a lunch to work, and keep it in the refrigerator. When I get time to get in and eat, I get in and eat. If it is with me I will nibble all shift and never really be satisfied, and end up eating WAAAY too much. I bulk roast 4-6 pounds of veggies, and 5 pounds of boneless chicken breasts and thighs. Refrigerate all. Packing a lunch involves packing two 12 oz containers of veg, and two 8 ounce containers of roasted, mixed chicken meat, and there it is.... two meals that I can heat up or not, and eat in 15-20 minutes. I cover liberally with hot sauce and/or mustard (currently loving sriracha with liquid smoke, Habanero salsa, home made whole grain mustard) or locally made (Ranch Pros Market, a chain) avacado salsa (this stuff rules, avacado, enough acid to keep from browning, peppers, and thin enough to use as a sauce...good flavors, good fats, and just plain good)

A couple of years ago I read about a sweedish study that indicated that you should consume your recovery-post workout stuff within five minutes of your heart rate coming down post workout. I mix it up between a creatine-BCAA recover drink, protein shake, and plain old lowfat chocolate milk and I try to consume it either as I start my cool down, or as I walk from the workout area to the locker room, so my heart rate and sometimes my breathing are still "in the zone". I notice much better recovery when I do it this way than when I separate working out and my post workout recovery "meal" I have been known, on some low cardio high resistance days to take my recovery meal before starting my workout and get greatly reduced soreness.

pat

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little over 5'7", and I currently average around 170#. I do a lot of pushups and crunches throughout the course of a day, and I run treadmill on a grade for a half hour on my lunch break (I add a 30 pound pack a couple months before peak season). So I'm pretty muscular above the waist (and below), but I have this "blanket" of soft fat laying over my 6 pack.

Not sure about my overall bodyfat...is there an easy calculation for that? :confused:

I would like to lose the blanket around my midsection...and my goal weight would be about 165. Trying to focus on diet, and continue my regular workout regimen.

I read this today online. I thought I would share...I thought it was funny...

Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away.
Conditioning fires up the metabolism. Cardio extinguishing it over time.
Conditioning makes a man look good naked. Cardio makes a man look good in lavender skinny jeans and not much else.
Conditioning builds legs of steel. Cardio builds legs of an underfed seabird.
Conditioning makes you lean and hard. Cardio makes you small and soft.
Conditioning gives you an upper body made of stone. Cardio gives you an upper body made of twigs and J-E-L-L-O!
Conditioning makes you better an any physical activity. Cardio makes you good at cardio.
Conditioning is sex. Cardio is cuddling and a chick-flick.
Conditioning is testosterone. Cardio is cortisol and estrogen.
Conditioning is pecs. Cardio is man-boobs.
Conditioning is Westside Barbell. Cardio is Planet Fitness.
Conditioning relieves anxiety, boosts all-day energy and fires up brain function. Cardio increases anxiety and cortisol. (Runners are only happy when they run. The rest of the time they’re miserable unless they are running or talking about running. True story)
Conditioning is fun. Cardio is fun when it’s over.
Conditioning is for hunters. Cardio is for Bambi’s mom.
In short, conditioning is for predators. Cardio is for prey

Ok, I'm in (horrible shape). 53ys old. Have a 10 yr old son who wants to start hunting, so I'm getting in shape to run him in the ground for the next 12 yrs.
Was in really good shape a couple times in my life. Freshman & sophomore years of highschool lived in Oregon & I was a little guy (5'6ish) but wanted to play middle linebacker bad.
Worked hard & started in the position. quickest 50 on the team, 2nd quickest 100, several weight lifting records (school, not state). 170ish#. Then life hit with jobs running heavy equipment & driving truck & physical stuff ended. At 39 decided I wanted to do my 1st mountain bike race on my 40th b-day. Got in shape, & placed 4th in my 1st race. Raced mtn bikes & rode road bikes hard for 2 yrs, stayed in mid 170s. Moved back to Alaska, work (desk mostly, I'm a pastor) was very time consuming, no playing for several yrs. Spurts of conditioning, but mostly around 210.

Now...Condition on low side of "ok". Can hike 10 miles of gentle hills with a 65# pack in a day without dying. BUT, a week ago I was 226. Heaviest I have ever been. Need to loose at least 40#, shooting for 50.
I'm cheating right now. I started doing HCG drops last week & am down to 214 this morning (12#s week one). I only intend to do HCG through the end of the year. That will get me under 200 & to where I feel like working out. At that point my eating habits should have changed (never met a cookie, pie, or cake I didn't like) & I intend to start the T25 workout to drop the next bunch.

Baby Huey

FNG
I'm 42, 6'0" and 240lbs, 21.5%BF (from a BF scale) with a goal to get down to 210 by next May. I haven't seen that weight since I was a redshirt sophomore playing fullback at Adams State. Finished my senior year 20 years ago weighing 235, and the heaviest I have been was 250 about 10 years ago. I have seen improvement last year as I know how to eat clean by following my wife's lead, as she hired a trainer/nutritionist and was/is competing in bikini competitions. I have tweaked her nutritioin plans for my weight, which has helped me start consistently managing my weight. As many indicate, it is a lifestyle change and my problem is that I love to eat and eat too much too many times...

I stopped eating healthy after my buddies goat hunt this year, as I got in good shape and dropped down to 228 before the hunt and down to 221 after the 7 day hunt. I need to get my focus back, prepare my meals and make time to get in the cardio and workouts. It helps with my wife being on the same road to lose weight, as we both make the same meals and go to the gym at the same time. We bit the bullet a year ago and are paying for the daycare at 24hour fitness, as without that we were rarely on a reliable schedule to hit the gym - but that extra $30/month for the 2hrs of childcare per day is worth every penny in order to get workouts in.

Another couple of exercise goals are: 1. To get better at jogging, as I am the worst distance runner on earth and 2. I never learned to swim, but took a few lessons a year ago, so I need to get back in the pool and work on that.

This will be a good motivational thread for all of us to keep on or get on track.

Roman

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey trkyslr,

I don't take supplements of any type now (haven't for a few years), but will drink coffee or Endorush when I get my butt out of bed.

Eating healthy is the safest way to gain muscle, loose or maintain weight. I've seen several men with life long medical issues from illegal and legal supplementation.

This is one of the issues I have with Cam Hanes. Don't get me wrong, he works his ass off and is an ambassador of the sport, but my feelings (keep in mind I'm a piss ant in the industry), is that hard work and a healthy diet is the way to go.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy (me) that did enough steroids and legal supplements to kill a small donkey. So what I'm saying, is that I've been down that road and I try tell people to stay away from the majority of what's on the market in supplementation.

I had to bring one of my best friends back to life that literately died from his Kidneys seizing up, another friend needs a bolt of lightning to get an erection, and many others who have liver, kidney and thyroid issues.

All of this could have been avoided by just eating healthy and drinking water:)

I'll get off my horse now......