Rokslide Special 223 recipe

hunterjmj

WKR
Shamefully, I haven’t reloaded yet. I ran out of time and money to buy the equipment. I found that Hornady Black that shoots 75BTHP less than 1.2 MOA and it’s cheap, so I’ve been shooting that until I actually start reloading.
It's spendy to get started. Thankfully I have a press and a bunch of other stuff otherwise I'd be in the same boat. Just getting geared up to hand load a new cartridge isn't cheap. It's way cheaper than my 300wm though.

Perhaps, but I'm not going to mess with it. VV N135 and N150 both give good velocity and shoot better in my rifle, as well as burning cleaner.

I also got pretty low velocity from H4895, so have to wonder if the pressure curve of those two powders work better with longer barrels.

I burned up the pound of AA2495 for target practice. The H4895 is being used for low velocity loads.

What charge weights, brass, bullet combo did you try with h4895? I've found it to be about tops for velocity as far as single base powders go with heavies.

fshaw

WKR
3rd groups on their own show little. 3rd groups using the same type of point of aim so you can generally overlay them tells you something more useful. Realistically he has a 12shot group on that target spanning 1.1gr of powder charge that all shot well as an aggregate within 1 square. I find that statistically relevant during load development.

I’d use that data to confidently load up 10+ rounds in the 24-24.3 range to validate now.

If he had a single good 3shot or their point of impacts varied relative to each other then I agree it’s not very useful.
Everyone does load development a bit differently but I find 3-4 shot groups quite useful. Right now I’m developing a hunting load for the 75gr Speer Gold Dot in my .223 Montana. These bullets are extremely hard to find so I want to conserve what I have. I’m working with 5 powders. In 4 shot groups at .5gr intervals I can shoot 4 (or 3) shot groups and tell immediately if that powder charge, for that bullet is going to be useful. Testing 10 loads with 4 shot groups I saved 10 bullets. That’s a couple of hunting seasons if I do my part (2 deer per season if I draw a doe tag.

Yesterday I eliminated 3 powders and found 3 loads that are near minute of angle shooting only 40 rounds. Today I’ll pick my load shooting those best 3 loads to eliminate shooter error. I can see shooting large groups (10-30 rounds) to determine ultimate accuracy potential for long range shooters. After today if I miss a deer at 200 yards or less (99% of my hunting in the Adirondacks), it’s the Indian, not the arrow.

The practice I really need is field position shooting, even though I love shooting off a bench. This type of load development won’t keep me from reaching my full potential. I’ll do that shooting with cheap bullets and older components using loads developed the same way.

My method might not be statistically significant, but I eat a lot of venison.

I hope you all have a successful hunting season.

Frank

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
What charge weights, brass, bullet combo did you try with h4895? I've found it to be about tops for velocity as far as single base powders go with heavies.
77 TMK
Fed 205
Starline brass
22 gr H4895
Screenshot_20240924_075038_ShotView.jpg

Same basic load, but using AA2495
Screenshot_20240924_075231_ShotView.jpg

I tried both H4895 and AA2495 on the same day, the H4895 is not as bad as I remember, but in the same conditions I was getting over 2600 fps from N135, N140, and N150.

77 TMK
Fed 205
Starline brass
22 gr H4895
View attachment 768255

Same basic load, but using AA2495
View attachment 768256

I tried both H4895 and AA2495 on the same day, the H4895 is not as bad as I remember, but in the same conditions I was getting over 2600 fps from N135, N140, and N150.

I see. you're about 2 grains below where I'd expect to load h4895 to in ADI, Lapua, or LC brass. I could see staying a little lower in starline brass and at tikka mag length though.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone does load development a bit differently but I find 3-4 shot groups quite useful. Right now I’m developing a hunting load for the 75gr Speer Gold Dot in my .223 Montana. These bullets are extremely hard to find so I want to conserve what I have. I’m working with 5 powders. In 4 shot groups at .5gr intervals I can shoot 4 (or 3) shot groups and tell immediately if that powder charge, for that bullet is going to be useful. Testing 10 loads with 4 shot groups I saved 10 bullets. That’s a couple of hunting seasons if I do my part (2 deer per season if I draw a doe tag.

Yesterday I eliminated 3 powders and found 3 loads that are near minute of angle shooting only 40 rounds. Today I’ll pick my load shooting those best 3 loads to eliminate shooter error. I can see shooting large groups (10-30 rounds) to determine ultimate accuracy potential for long range shooters. After today if I miss a deer at 200 yards or less (99% of my hunting in the Adirondacks), it’s the Indian, not the arrow.

The practice I really need is field position shooting, even though I love shooting off a bench. This type of load development won’t keep me from reaching my full potential. I’ll do that shooting with cheap bullets and older components using loads developed the same way.

My method might not be statistically significant, but I eat a lot of venison.

I hope you all have a successful hunting season.

Frank
I think smaller groups are good for eliminating options quickly, IE if 3 rounds shoots 2-3" pattern there is no point shooting more! When folks talk about 3shot groups being of little use its in the positive direction when cherry picking. If a 3 shot of X charge shoots 3", 3 shot of X+.5gr shoots 1/2", and a 3 shoot of X+1gr shoots 3" and someone goes "Wow X+.5gr is a 1/2MOA!!!!" when the probability is those happened to land close but aren't repeatable.

That's all. :)

Yes we all do it different. I shoot a single shot velocity ladder on new combinations looking for pressure, but I also pay attention to where those shots are hitting the target. If they're a shot gun pattern on the target then chances are that combo at that seating depth isn't gonna work for me. If 5+ shots in a row across a varying powder charge stack up at 1" (esp. at a velocity I like and pressure is good) then I'm going to use that info to test a larger group of shots in that charge window.

fshaw

WKR
I think smaller groups are good for eliminating options quickly, IE if 3 rounds shoots 2-3" pattern there is no point shooting more! When folks talk about 3shot groups being of little use its in the positive direction when cherry picking. If a 3 shot of X charge shoots 3", 3 shot of X+.5gr shoots 1/2", and a 3 shoot of X+1gr shoots 3" and someone goes "Wow X+.5gr is a 1/2MOA!!!!" when the probability is those happened to land close but aren't repeatable.

That's all. :)

Yes we all do it different. I shoot a single shot velocity ladder on new combinations looking for pressure, but I also pay attention to where those shots are hitting the target. If they're a shot gun pattern on the target then chances are that combo at that seating depth isn't gonna work for me. If 5+ shots in a row across a varying powder charge stack up at 1" (esp. at a velocity I like and pressure is good) then I'm going to use that info to test a larger group of shots in that charge window.
I certainly understand your process and I’m sure it’s effective. As a sub 200 yard hunter I have never owned a chronograph. For the way I hunt I see little value in them, but that’s for me. In reality, the vast majority of deer shot in the Adirondacks are taken at less than 100 yards, usually less than 75. Velocity isn‘t a prime driver for me.

After many years of shooting and reloading I find it quite rare for 3 bullets to land in a group of .5” unless the load is likely to be accurate for that gun. Could happen, but pretty rare. If the group did end up being at 1.5” consistently instead of .5”, that’s still 3” at 200. Misses and very poor hits are still typically the Indian, not the arrow in that situation. As Form, and Hall Blood, and lots of others recommend, I’d rather use the components to practice shooting from field positions. I have to force myself to do this because I like the challenge of shooting small groups like many others.