Rokslide newbie

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
hi everybody,

my name is john laubach, last name pronouced law-back hence my screen name. i have been checking out the site for a while now and have to say it is one of the nicest i have been on! everyone seems friendly, straight-up and generous about helping others and sharing knowledge. its nice to log in and not have to sort through B>S> to find things worth reading.

i am a 26 year old pipefitter from northern Maryland just below PA, a long way from most of you. i live on a small 20 acre farm and hunt whitetails mostly. i love to fish, and start early spring for panfish, trout and smallies, then move to the chesapeake bay for our trophy striped bass run and finally switch to offshore fishing for tuna, mahi mahi and billfish as much as work and weather allow.

in oct. 2009 i ventured on my first trip out west with 2 friends. we went to newcastle WY on a DIY muley and speedgoat combo. we were fortunate enough to all tag out and i am hooked. the opportunity to chase your quarry on thousands of acres is very different than sitting 20 ft up a tree hoping a trophy buck comes into range!

This fall, i will be in WY once again, but this time on my first backpack hunt. our party of 4 will be heading to the western side on a DIY muley/elk combo and i havnt been this pumped in a long time!

just want to thank everyone who contributes to making this a great site, and takes the time to post gear reviews, videos and info that first timers like myself are relying on to have a safe trip with a chance to be successful!
thanks
john

Rosey

FNG
Another newbie here form the east coast, south central PA, (actually probably not that far from you Johnnylaw). I've been blessed to hunt "out west" as we call it 5 times. A young growing family has kept me on this side of the continent for a while. It's been a blast teaching my boys, 13,11, and 9 the love of the outdoors as my dad did for me and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Next year it is dream come true time, Dall Sheep in the Brooks range. My grandfather, and 2 partners, took a month and a half and drove from PA to the Brooks in 1968. I've looked at his ram hanging in my parents home, saw his pictures and heard his stories for 35+ years and new some day I'd do. Next year is going to be that time and I am stoked.

I echo the thoughts above, this site is awesome. I've learned a ton about equipment and techniques and everyone's atttitude seems great. I have a much better handle on great equipment. Thanks for all the help, and inspiration, you all have given just by chiming in. I'll keep you posted.

Rosey

dotman

WKR
Welcome and good luck this fall. Oh yeah, John you have a package heading your way.

OP
J

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
@swat8888- im in harford not far from aberdeen proving grounds

@dotman- thanks man really appreciate it

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the site! You are gonna LOVE your backcountry hunt! Very challenging but very rewarding at the same time. It will make you realize how insignificant us humans are in this universe! Good luck and let us know how it goes!