Rock climbing harness

Alchemy

WKR
My muddy safeguard harness is getting older and time to update. I’m considering going with a rock climbing harness instead of another outdoor mfg’s harness for a number of reasons. Can someone with experience give there thoughts….
I typically do hang and hunts with a lone wolf stick/stand combo or permanent ladder stand hunts.
Also I use a lifeline in tree and lineman rope while hanging/transitioning in and out with a rope man2 ascender

-it looks like your only rated safety attachment point is in the front, seems awkward while sitting?
-are they more comfortable in late season?

Dryad Killdeer is a popular choice. I find it comfy and it is more out of the way than one coming off your back.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I pretty much copied his setup exactly other than the way he runs his tether. I just use a normal tree tether once I get up into the tree. It has been working great for me for 2 years now and I couldn't imagine going back to a regular vest style harness. The tether mounting in the front isn't a problem at all. You just have to adjust it right so you can sit, stand and move around without too much slack in it. Makes adding or changing layers in the tree super easy and it can double as a makeshift saddle if you ever really needed it. I use it like that sometimes just for glassing behind me at slow times just to change the position up a bit. The gym harness is nice too because there's hardly and metal on it and its super adjustable so it works great from early season light layers all the way through late season with tons of layers.

WoodBow

WKR
I started using a rock harness years ago and will never go back. I find the front tether gets in the way less than one coming off my back and getting into my draw arm.

However I will say that, even when hunting a treestand, I prefer to just use a saddle as a harness. It has full and comfortable lineman capabilities and allows me some additional positioning options for a shot if needed.

Macintosh

WKR
Well, I was a climbing guide for years and worked for a climbing manufacturer, so when I started tree stand hunting I used what I had. It'll hold you fine, but you certainly wont get any support from a climbing company who will consider you to be misusing their product. I stand and face the tree a lot when hunting out of a stand. I find a climbing harness is best for this sit/stand combo. Climbing harness is also better than a saddle or a tree-stand harness for one-sticking. That said, a climbing harness forces the tether to cross in front of you when sitting, and since the tie-in point in the front is the only full-strength attachment point on the harness it does not permit using a linemans belt as cleanly as a harness with loops on the hips. You can make due as-is or modify as in the video, just be conscious of the forces involved and unless you own an industrial bartacker, make sure whatever you are doing will still function to keep your rear off the ground if your janky sewing blows out. The tie-in point is PLENTY strong, but no other point on nearly all harnesses is strong enough. There are a very few climbing harnesses with rear tie-in points strong enough--very few--but if you fall on one you risk passing out if you cant quickly un-weight the harness. Personally, I prefer to just rig off the front and give myself a little slack to avoid the tether getting in my way, and it's fine.
For tree stand hunting I still use a climbing harness, albeit modified to better support using a linemans belt. I tried my saddle for this, but found it to be more cluttered unless I was truly using it as a saddle. My harness mod is a little different than the video, but it accomplishes the same thing. I havent found a tree stand harness that doesn't weigh almost as much as much as a tree stand, so I dont feel like I have much choice. I suspect the tree stand industry standards for harnesses prohibit some of the features that make a climbing harness attractive, and I guess they dont have much incentive to change them.

GR1NCH11

FNG
A little late to this thread, but I was waiting to post until I had some experience with my new harness.
Long story short I wanted the ability to shoot 360 deg (almost) like the saddle hunters can, but I didn't want to buy a whole new setup, I have a lone wolf hang on. Tactisaddle makes a hunting harness with linemans loops and a front climbing loop. I have been using it this season and it is pretty nice. I won't ever go back to a typical tree stand harness.

Last edited:

Long Cut

WKR
Metolius SafeTech

When it’s safety equipment, I’m not skipping out. Period.

10KN rated gear loops all around. Multiple sizes from the Bubba to Minimalist. Every one of their RC Harnesses has at least 5 rated Gear loops for your linemen’s belt, etc...

No other RC brand has that. Most only have a rated main gear loop in the front.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Subscribed.

Part of the appeal of the “normal” harness is that it seems idiot proof. But I’ve been wondering if there is a better approach and I’m looking into these. Has anyone gone with the Mutiny over the Killdeer? And for either of those, or the SafeTech, is there a learning curve?

I never use a lineman’s belt and I usually do use a safety line, but today I had to pass on using a hang on on my cousin’s place because the safety line lacked a prusik knot and I was unprepared/too ignorant to figure out a way to use the line as presented. I know I need to be better educated and equipped.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I purchased the Killdeer (in the hybrid package) today. Will report back if anyone is interested.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I know I need to be better educated and equipped.
I'm not sure what's more pathetic, replying to my own post, or what I've done over the course of just a few days (or hours, with respect to post #15).

I progressed from simply looking at a RC harness as a replacement to my HSS harness to being almost full on into a saddle setup - even though I have previously thought about, and decided against, becoming a saddle hunter. I've now purchased from Dryad (Mini Drey kit plus Hitch pouch and eye to eye hitch) and Tethrd (tree tether, lineman belt and Kong Duck). I've not (yet?) gone so far as to buy climbing sticks and a platform, but obviously I can't now rule those out.

Apologies for possibly hijacking this thread, but I have a few questions (and maybe I should start a new thread):
  1. For those who typically climb up into a stand with permanently affixed steps, if you are using a safety line, do you also use your lineman belt? I decided to get the lineman belt for a situation in which I find myself without a safety line, but wonder if I should be using it in all circumstances.
  2. Is "The Descender" (https://www.primaltreestands.com/primal-products/the-descender-emergency-descent-device) still something to carry, or is it not necessary since I'm ditching the HSS harness?

*zap*

WKR
So, the belt has to have the rating the front attachment point has. Use a rated biner and clip to the belt where you want to.....then you could move it around if necessary while still clipped in. The line to the tree should be short enough that you do not go far...you just need enough length to stand up and shoot....no more. if you do not want the biner to move use a piece of acc cord to tie it in place on the belt. A good cam buckle strap like we use on sticks or stands can make a good line to the tree...e-z to adjust length. Attach to a girth hitched rope around tree...those straps also make a great lineman belt.

ymmv

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I'm not sure what's more pathetic, replying to my own post, or what I've done over the course of just a few days (or hours, with respect to post #15).

I progressed from simply looking at a RC harness as a replacement to my HSS harness to being almost full on into a saddle setup - even though I have previously thought about, and decided against, becoming a saddle hunter. I've now purchased from Dryad (Mini Drey kit plus Hitch pouch and eye to eye hitch) and Tethrd (tree tether, lineman belt and Kong Duck). I've not (yet?) gone so far as to buy climbing sticks and a platform, but obviously I can't now rule those out.

Apologies for possibly hijacking this thread, but I have a few questions (and maybe I should start a new thread):
  1. For those who typically climb up into a stand with permanently affixed steps, if you are using a safety line, do you also use your lineman belt? I decided to get the lineman belt for a situation in which I find myself without a safety line, but wonder if I should be using it in all circumstances.
  2. Is "The Descender" (https://www.primaltreestands.com/primal-products/the-descender-emergency-descent-device) still something to carry, or is it not necessary since I'm ditching the HSS harness?

I use a life line on every stand that I leave set up. I feel like I owe it to my wife and children to take that simple precaution.

N2TRKYS

WKR

Yesterday, I hung a lock on set with a stick ladder. I use a Black Diamond Vario Speed harness. I used my tether rope as a lineman’s belt, as I attached the ladder up the tree. Once I got the ladder attached, I set the lock on. After I set my lock on, I climb on and attach my lifeline to the tree. From then on, I use the lifeline each time I leave the ground.

I like to have my tether rope fairly long to accommodate different size trees. The length of the tether rope has nothing to do with how far you’ll fall if you know how to properly use it.