Rinella’s’22 Idaho Buck

I'm gonna start a fake Rokslide account now and build up my post count so when the video comes out next year I can start a thread asking if anyone knows the peak without being jumped on for being a new guy.

I'm out here playing chess while you nerds using your boots to find spots are playing checkers!

I've always been so confused by folks chasing dead deer. Like, great. Mr. Rinella shot a dandy of a buck there. But that dandy of a buck is now dead and you cannot pursue it even if you did get the tag.

I know, I know, "but it shows the potential..." yeah if that's the case my grandpa's bucks hanging in his smoking room in eastern Oregon means I should be throwing my name in the ring there every year, but that ain't happening. Past performance is not a guaranteed predictor of future success.

If there's something I've gleaned from @robby denning it's that you're starting from scratch every single year and have to prove you can find big, old deer every single time you step into the woods. No matter the tag. And that's what makes it fun.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've always been so confused by folks chasing dead deer. Like, great. Mr. Rinella shot a dandy of a buck there. But that dandy of a buck is now dead and you cannot pursue it even if you did get the tag.

I know, I know, "but it shows the potential..." yeah if that's the case my grandpa's bucks hanging in his smoking room in eastern Oregon means I should be throwing my name in the ring there every year, but that ain't happening. Past performance is not a guaranteed predictor of future success.

If there's something I've gleaned from @robby denning it's that you're starting from scratch every single year and have to prove you can find big, old deer every single time you step into the woods. No matter the tag. And that's what makes it fun.
I've noticed that country that had a big buck (we're talking MT big buck, so like 170"+) tends to be a spot that holds them in the future. I think in general, areas that hold old animals tend to hold old animals (for mule deer 4.5+) all or most of the time. Old is half the equation, you need the habitat and genetics for the other half. But if you lay eyes on enough old ones there is bound to be a biggun at some point.

I guess as far as the chasing dead deer go, I partially agree. The Rogan podcast was background noise last night as I was doing other stuff, but I believe he went on and on about how they left a good amount of other great deer in there and his buddies had found a pile of others. I had a sheep spot blow up after two big YouTube guys went in there and put out videos a few years ago. Both videos they talked about how many other legal rams they saw and had plenty of footage of legal rams and a bunch of very close sublegal. Both put out podcasts bragging about how many legal sheep they saw. So in an example like that, people aren't chasing dead rams; they're going after all the live ones that are evidently still out there. So it's one thing to chase a dead animal seen in a social media post, it's another when there's a guy going on and on about all the animals seen and left on the mountain.

I guess as far as the chasing dead deer go, I partially agree. The Rogan podcast was background noise last night as I was doing other stuff, but I believe he went on and on about how they left a good amount of other great deer in there and his buddies had found a pile of others. I had a sheep spot blow up after two big YouTube guys went in there a put out videos a few years ago. Both videos they talked about how many other legal rams they saw and had plenty of footage of legal rams and a bunch of very close sublegal. So in an example like that, people aren't chasing dead rams; they're going after all the live ones that are evidently still out there. So it's one thing to chase a dead animal seen in a social media post, it's another when there's a guy going on and on about all the animals seen and left on the mountain.
Agreed.

I've noticed that country that had a big buck (we're talking MT big buck, so like 170"+) tends to be a spot that holds them in the future. I think in general, areas that hold old animals tend to hold old animals (for mule deer 4.5+) all or most of the time. Old is half the equation, you need the habitat and genetics for the other half. But if you lay eyes on enough old ones there is bound to be a biggun at some point.
Good point. I suppose if habitat changes, let's say the low country of Wyoming, or a desert tag in Nevada, goes through a mega-drought and you went there because you saw a big deer come from there, then things have changed significantly. I figure what you're getting at is a long-term commitment to an area...and I'm not sure if folks looking for spots on the internet are real into long-term plans.

Kinda passionate about this because my best deer is from a no-name unit that got good moisture one year, while I had a fancy tag in Nevada known for giants and took home a 160" buck because I didn't put in the scouting work to find an anomaly in a drought year.

I'm quite a mule deer novice, but I would expect a lot of places in the west have potential for 193" bucks. We have them in western Kansas with almost no management. But, probably not too many places have good numbers of mature bucks where you can count on seeing multiple 150" and larger bucks most days.

Juan_ID

WKR
There’s a road to the top of that peak.
Well then hell yes I’m interested. Please delete this post now that I’ve gotten a screenshot of the pic and before anyone else can key in on the area I’ll be hunting in 2023…

Hnthrdr

WKR

^ this is the truth! I think it would be awesome to hunt some OIL tags for sure, but if you can kill big, gnarly mature bucks in low point units, that is really something! Sometimes I think knowledge of a unit and time spent in said unit hunting or scouting is worth more than a tag would cost 5 more points

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Great buck and congrats to Steve.

You guy who recognize that peak I just don't get it. On my phone it actually looks like a cloud.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

193 is 193 however you hold it! I get what your saying though. Most long armers are holding 120s, guessing maybe just a snap shot off video? Plus who wants to look at Steve, we are here for the bones!

It always cracked me up, when I used to use Facebook, I would see people just get absolutely hammered for posting a perspective shot where they sat behind a bull, for instance. "Why don't you walk up there and grab those horns?" Personally I think the perspective shot looks really cool and puts the emphasis on the animal. But I didn't feel too bad for them, because they posted it on facebook... I don't think this is the case here, just looks like a quick snapshot. But definitely a bonehead move posting a prominent landmark in the background.

Great buck and congrats to Steve.

You guy who recognize that peak I just don't get it. On my phone it actually looks like a cloud.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Someone posted a picture of a bull at the back of there rig a couple years ago.
Not sure if it was in a zone specific thread that had already narrowed it down for me or what.

But I recognized the exact campsite he was parked in because I had used it that season as well. And it was a super close in shot. Nothing that someone would think could give away the location. But if you know you know. Idk exactly where he took it. But they're was only a couple roads up that drainage. And if just reaffirmed to me that's a decent spot.

I post virtually nothing for pics. Not only because I'm worried about spot thiefs but because of all the critics that want to sharp shoot every thing.

I feel sorry for influencers that brought it opon them selfs to have to share everything to make a living. Its not for me, that's for sure.