Riflescope debate

Some brave folks leaving firearms unattended in their vehicles while being out in the field for days or weeks. I do applaud their faith in humanity.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thats what I’m saying. Have you had a bad experience that has made you decide that?
I have not had an issue and I’ve used leupolds for a very long time but the reports are getting too numerous to ignore. It would be brutal to be on a trip and have a scope go down or a talley ultralight ring crack.

v8rider

FNG
+1 for Meopta Optika6. Love the rubber grip turrets, especially on wet days and amount of dial up. I don't have the $$$ (or balls) to test drop my rifle scopes but this fall off the back of a truck and kept zero and dial ups.

CRJR45

WKR
Guys , I know I said I was out , but I'm back . I only go on guided hunts , I stay in a lodge and I'm way too old to sleep on the ground , much less climb up the side of a mountain or pack a camp in 7 miles .
I think 500 yards is the extreme maximum for me taking a shot , most of my shots have been under 200 yards . Not counting the Elk I've taken with a bow .
When I say I take two rifles , I leave the spare in the lodge . In all my hunts , I've fallen once and I did break the quiver off my bow , but still took a cow with it .
My favorite was the person who said - That Elk deserved better than being shot with a plastic scope - I laughed out loud at that , like the Elk cared how it was killed , LOL
It's only hunting , nothing life or death .
It is amusing to see how some of you jump to conclusions .

OP
P
+1 for Meopta Optika6. Love the rubber grip turrets, especially on wet days and amount of dial up. I don't have the $$$ (or balls) to test drop my rifle scopes but this fall off the back of a truck and kept zero and dial ups.
Have you compared glass clarity to any of the optics in this list or any in general and if so how did it compare?

v8rider

FNG
Have you compared glass clarity to any of the optics in this list or any in general and if so how did it compare?
A side-by-side comparison to the Athlon Midas for my eyes, Meopta was clearer and brighter. Meopta was better then Vortex HD, Burris and NF nxs early and late. I am believer that different folks eyes like different glass, my hunting partner liked NF over Meopta but agree its better than Vortex and Burris. Meopta makes Zeiss Conquest scopes but I believe they use a lower class glass for the Conquest. (not positive)

My rifle, cart on the right side, getting ready to go four miles up an old logging road that gets progressively worse, by shanks mare. Pulling the cart, decades of it. Leupold scope, Redfield base and Leupold rings. What am I doing wrong? It's never lost zero? Even with bumps and bruises during the season once we get into camp. Washboard roads in a truck in a case is a concern? Sure was a great day to haul in the camp. Wish they were all like that.

0F84F6EA-1945-4C02-A04B-88B38BDE6AAC.jpeg

Next morning two elk on the cart, ready to haul out. Nice to have a great son as a hunting partner to help with the work.

C20D7480-861B-4DB9-B3F5-9563DCE1488A.jpeg
My son's first elk and as he takes it apart.
1B948CF6-AF4B-4D9F-A619-0DD109C8FCCC.jpeg

3FC90DAA-1392-4997-B384-46C91324DA44.jpeg

My elk taken cleanly with the gun, hauled in on the cart in a case, with a questionable scope (Leupold) that has made that same trip for decades. Must be living right because my son's rifle was brought up the same way to camp.

4ED8A9B4-6F76-4648-80B4-2656FDB9811F.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a scope fail when I shot the rifle it was mounted on.
I said "when", not "because."
It was supposed to be a special muzzle loader scope.
Second shot of the day: Aim, fire, look for impact, see only black. No cross hairs, no focus. Kaput.
That was the day before my deer hunt. No backup muzzy in my quiver.
Great warrantee though. I sent it back and the MFG sent me a new one. Yippee. It's still in the box.
I am embarrassed to say what make and model it was though. After hanging around the 'Slide the past few years, I should have known better than to have relied on this particular scope.

Have you had a bad experience that has made you decide that?
I personally have had bad experiences to include wandering zero, complete loss of zero, poor tracking, and failure to return to zero. This has happened with multiple high end scopes from different manufacturers with great glass but the scopes failed. I've missed several animals due to complete scope failures (some were safe queens that were shot a fair amount at the range but didn't see hard use). That's when I dove head first into reliability and now I only buy scopes with a proven tract record. Any scope CAN fail, but some are way more likely to fail than others.

OP
P
I personally have had bad experiences to include wandering zero, complete loss of zero, poor tracking, and failure to return to zero. This has happened with multiple high end scopes from different manufacturers with great glass but the scopes failed. I've missed several animals due to complete scope failures (some were safe queens that were shot a fair amount at the range but didn't see hard use). That's when I dove head first into reliability and now I only buy scopes with a proven tract record. Any scope CAN fail, but some are way more likely to fail than others.
So what do you rely on now that you have had these experiences!?

OP
P
I was looking at a nightforce Atacr 4-20 or the 5-25.. i dont mind carrying extra weight if i know they are going to handle what i need them too!

CRJR45

WKR
Respectfully, your hunting is very, very dissimilar to what most on this forum, myself included, do, and what the op is talking about.

Also, hunting is life and death for the animals we are pursuing.
Of course you're right , but I still get to participate in the conversations and I'm entitled to my opinions . What works for me might not work for you , but that doesn't mean it's wrong .
But , I do see a lot of guided hunts on here and lots of info on guided hunts . So , to each their own .