Riflescope debate

A ride on a quad can send a scope out of zero. Bouncing in truck same. Falls happen for various reasons and can be as simple as tumbling off the back of a vehicle when unloading a case. Weather changes can cause seals to fail, etc.

I run NF SHV 3-10x42 on several rifles. 10X gets me to 750m without trouble on 8" steel plates. On animal coloured targets I'd want more magnification or move a little closer to get more accurate aiming, but those scopes all dial repeatably and accurately. More important, they have never shifted zero on me and are sold at a fair price for the quality. Weight is reasonable also for the ruggedness.

I called up NF and asked how they test the SHV scopes for QA before shipping and was it similar to the NXS torture tests where they beat on them. The techs said that all SHV scopes are hit about and tested after impact like the NXS before they ship. I thought what they told me was in error, so I called again and spoke to another tech and asked the same question and got the same answer. I don't know of any other company testing their scopes in this manner for each one that goes out the door. It's pretty amazing if true and explains why they have such a low failure rate.
G’day Southern Lights.

Have you had any issues with the shortish eye relief on the SHV 3-10. OK on a T3X in 300wsm do you think?

Cheers
Phil

wapitibob

WKR
My leupold vx3, inside a padded case, bungee strapped to the front atv rack, 2 miles down a blm road at low speed, moved 1-1/2' at 400 yards. I doubt the pronghorn I shot 3 times appreciated getting a cpl rounds to the guts before I walked up and finished it off at 10 yards. Leopold repaired it and while at the range a few months later I watched it jump over a foot. I sent it back again and sold it.
I'd love to buy Leupold, lots of plusses, but I won't trust one ever again. These companies rarely test for side impact which is why forms tests show so many failing.

Long Cut

WKR
Probably 2% as many as from shitty shooters.
I'm not judging, as these days I'd be one of those shitty shooters over 400 yards
Most shots at animals happen under 200 yards.

Even a “shitty shooter” with a 5 MOA average could smash a deers vitals. The heart/lungs/liver encompass an area larger than a pie plate, that’s 10-12”

These scopes are losing zero more often than hunters making poor shots.

OR

It’s a combination of the two.

KenLee

WKR
Most shots at animals happen under 200 yards.

Even a “shitty shooter” with a 5 MOA average could smash a deers vitals. The heart/lungs/liver encompass an area larger than a pie plate, that’s 10-12”

These scopes are losing zero more often than hunters making poor shots.

OR

It’s a combination of the two.
I see alot of folks having performance anxiety on live targets. I call it that because it's not only buck fever, it's does, turkeys, yotes and other game also.
Some of them only shoot off the bench in a weighted, cushioned sled and are also scared to death of their large caliber rifles in the field. Add to that the folks with little skill trying high shoulder, head and neck shots and you have a recipe for disaster.
I'm generally a half ass shot on paper and live targets. Consistent wobble. 😉

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hey guys , thanks for the debate , and I want you to know I listened to you . I just ordered SHV 5-20X56 for the 28 Nosler .

Formidilosus thank you for taking the time to evaluate these scopes and I hope I like this scope as much as everyone else likes theirs .​

The shv 5-25x56 failed all the drop tests..,

….just joking

Hey guys , thanks for the debate , and I want you to know I listened to you . I just ordered SHV 5-20X56 for the 28 Nosler .

Formidilosus thank you for taking the time to evaluate these scopes and I hope I like this scope as much as everyone else likes theirs .​

Let us know what you think when it come in. My bet is you'll begin switching all your scopes over. If you don't like it, I'm sure someone on here will quickly buy it from you.

CRJR45

WKR
Let us know what you think when it come in. My bet is you'll begin switching all your scopes over. If you don't like it, I'm sure someone on here will quickly buy it from you.
Oh I will , LOL . Hopefully this weekend . I just got my Trijicon back for for the .280 and if this scope comes in I'll have two to mount and site in .