Rifle suggestions - Gift to my son.

MEP

FNG
Sliders,

I have been lurking for a bit here and enjoy the great amount of expertise. I am looking to buy my son a graduation present, he is finally graduating from college. I say finally because it has been a long hard journey for the lad. I apologize for the long post below but want to put this into perspective and how important this is to my wife and I.

He has been hunting with me since 10. He was athletic, he was heavily involved in karate and has won 4 national titles and one world title in his competitions in his age group and level. He was never an archery guy (I love it) and really focused on firearms. About the age of 13, things went south for him in a serious way. He developed chronic migraines. He was in constant pain for almost 9 years because of it. He had a total of less than 60 days in that 9 years with no pain (we religiously tracked it). The greatest span was 45 days after his initial botox injections about the age of 15. We thought he was over the hump then but he suddenly nose dived again. His pain levels, 10 being the worst, looked like this. 10-8 - about 9 days a month, 6&7 - 16 days a month, 3 to 5 about 5 days a month. We enjoyed the 3-5 days as we had our son back for those brief windows. The rest of the time he would lay in his bed, pillow over his head, no lights, no sound, no eating and forced to drink water for days at a time.

Obviously this impacted his hunting. His last deer hunt was excruciating for him. A couple days it was all we could do to get him out of camp. Hikes to classing points were extremally limited and on two evening trips, limited to very easy hikes of less than a half mile. Last day of the hunt he just couldn't do it. We drove out to a place to try and within about 10 minutes of driving, he just couldn't do it and told me to turn around. Packed up camp and on the way out spotted a nice buck, 4x6, that he was able to take with a well placed shot from his 243. We found a cure for migraines that day but by evening he severely crashed again. Happy, but not in good shape. Also hated the fact that it was seen from the road but, even my brother chastised him for thinking that. As hard as he had hunted that year, and previous years, he had earned his stripes.

He never finished high school, we took him out of school his sophomore year in March. By that time he had missed 117 days of school. His teachers were very disappointed as they all commented on how good a kid he was, well liked by just about everyone, worked hard and was very smart but just could not keep up. To show you how bad it was, he did not even want to get his learner's permit for driving; when was the last time you heard a young man say that?

Shortly there after he got his GED and started attending community college. We had him take a class a semester and slowly built upon that. Did not want him trying to make it in the world with just a GED and his condition, it was a grind but finally, at the age of 22, he had a breakthrough. Suddenly the migraines abated. They were not totally gone but dropped to a few days a month (still always in pain though) until the last year or so. He is now 25 and has only three migraines in the last year and the pain is no longer ever present, so he is having 20 to 25 days a month without a headache!

He graduates from NAU with a degree in electrical engineering this spring. He has had it tough and missed a lot of what a growing young man should experience. Everyone who has worked with him or been around him for any time comments on what a good kid he is. Now, we want to reward him for his hard work.

So, the boy is a 7mm Rem Mag fan. There is NO moving him from that caliber. He currently has one in Savage. His current 243 Savage is a shooter! I will never allow him to sell that rifle. 3 shot 100YD groups easily at 0.2" all day long and with factory ammo. He also loves his Mini 14 for varmints so the lower end of the spectrum is out. I want to replace the Savage with a high quality rifle with VG optics. We are looking at about $3k to 4k for the rifle and think I have settled on the Vortex Diamondback 3-15 HD LTE scope for him.

I was seriously considering a Fierce Rage. Problem: They never return calls or emails. I have reached out multiple times over the last month and a half and nothing. I don't care how "good" a rifle it is at this point, If they won't help you when you want to buy something, why would they bother dealing with a warranty issue?

I recently purchased a Christensen Traverse in 280AI finally going out to shoot it the first time next week. He did not like the look of the rifle or its heft. (I am a bit recoil shy in my tender old age but wanted something with some umph). Specifically he was not enamored with the black stock on it, I think it is more the coloration and the fore end than anything else.

He is definitely in the very traditional rifle camp. He does not like the burnt colors on actions. Stainless or black only. A muzzle brake that does not deflect gasses downward is a big deal, don't want him chocking on dust and rocks when shooting prone but do want a brake on it.. I think we are set on the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 for him. So, we are around the $3k area for just the rifle, give or take.

So not that you are tired of reading this very verbose post, what do you folks think? I am not opposed to waiting for a rifle to be delivered but want it to be something he will never want to let go of.

LoggerDan

WKR
If a sentimental keepsake that works hard is what you’re after, it would be pretty hard to go wrong with a Winchester m70 in the young man’s big 7. It sounds like he really likes black synthetic. Either way, walnut, maple or synthetic, Winchester has it. I know ev is into synthetic, but I think it’s good practice that every hunter has one really nice walnut stocked heirloom piece that gets used, borrowed and eventually inherited. Grandpa’s ol gun should always be walnut stocked.
For hunters who don’t overthink things that don’t really matter, it’s tough to beat a crf m70. They are also a piece of American History.

nobody

WKR
How about a Sako 85? They're comparable in price to the Fierces and Christensens you're looking at but are an improvement in performance and durability. Plus they're super sexy! It's definitely an "heirloom" type rifle. Lots of different flavors and designs and models to pick from too, so you can get him exactly what he will want.

But I would suggest doing some digging on the scope in this subforum below and the thread after it.

https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

You're buying him an heirloom rifle, pick him up a lifetime/heirloom optic to go with it. A Nightforce or a Trijicon will go nicely in the right configuration, and be EONS ahead in performance and durability and reliablility long term.

The longer you're here on Rokslide, the more you'll see we place a precedence on mechanical reliability and durability in riflescopes, and glass quality is at the bottom of the list. At the end of the day, you're buying an aiming device, not an observation optic. The glass in your scope needs to be good enough that you can identify your target positively, anything more is a bonus. But if you can see into the spirit realm with the glass but the scope loses zero from light bumps (PLEASE read that vortex razor thread I linked above), the scope does you zero good.

Welcome to Rokslide, kick off your boots and stay awhile.

I think the suggestion above for a Sako 85 is a great one for an heirloom type rifle. Beautiful rifles with performance to back it up. That's what I'd go with in this application. If looking for pure performance with not as much emphasis on ascetics or just looking for a more modern rifle, I'd go Seekins PH2. Read the thread titled “Fierce Firearms Disaster" before burning a fierce.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fierce-firearms-disaster.293232/

Also agree on comments on optics. But something that will work in the long haul. I.e. NF, trijicon, SWFA, Bushnell elite

Reactions: MEP
OP
MEP

MEP

FNG
I think the suggestion above for a Sako 85 is a great one for an heirloom type rifle. Beautiful rifles with performance to back it up. That's what I'd go with in this application. If looking for pure performance with not as much emphasis on ascetics or just looking for a more modern rifle, I'd go Seekins PH2. Read the thread titled “Fierce Firearms Disaster" before burning a fierce.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fierce-firearms-disaster.293232/

Also agree on comments on optics. But something that will work in the long haul. I.e. NF, trijicon, SWFA, Bushnell elite
Wow, stopped reading after page 5. HORRIBLE! What a disaster and added to the personal issues by @david2duck dealt with. Definitely glad they never returned by call.

Sako 85s can have ejection issues. Might consider a Blaser, Sauer, or Cooper. Sako s20 is sweet, but definitely not traditional. If he would bump up to the 300 win the sako trg rifles are top notch.

nobody

WKR
Sako 85s can have ejection issues.
Not arguing this statement, but what do you mean by ejection issues? Asking to understand more fully, not to argue, I promise haha. Are you talking with the high ejection path and brass ending up back in the action after deflecting off the scope? Just trying to paint a full picture. I'll happily redact my post if it's incorrect!

Yup, that's the one. Seems to be a bigger problem when you combine a long action cartridge and a fatter scope tube. The fixed 6 o clock ejector is a complete design failure for a scoped rifle imo.

nobody

WKR
Yup, that's the one. Seems to be a bigger problem when you combine a long action cartridge and a fatter scope tube. The fixed 6 o clock ejector is a complete design failure for a scoped rifle imo.
Dang, that's nuts. I thought I had read they had fixed that problem, but if not, I stand corrected! Thanks for the education sir.

Last edited:
I dont own either of these rifles, but I'd be checking out the Weatherby Mark V rifles or the Alamo Precision Rifles. I'd lean more towards the APR just for the fact you can pick your twist rate and have something thats going to handle the heavier for caliber bullets now.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
MEP,

Your son did not take the easy way out; BSEE is something to be proud of. Some good advice above. Since he has the beater portion of the 7mm collection covered with the Davage why not have a nice one. A M70, Kimber, Cooper to name a few. I always like having at least one nice rifle and one I’m not worried about beating up at least in each caliber. Often take and use both on hunt’s depending on weather. Always nice to have a backup.

Sure hope the migraines keep getting better; my son had some minor issues with them but nothing even scratching the surface of what your family has gone thru.

madcalfe

WKR
id avoid fierce.
if your in that 3K budget you ever maybe consider bringing it up to him to build him his very own custom?
I mean if your going for a heirloom type of rifle nothing beats the "I built my own rifle with my father" rather than a off the self factory rifle, plus could be a fun project for you 2.

Dejhavu

FNG
Get him something traditional like a browning shotgun or a Winchester rifle.

Reactions: MEP

mmac

WKR
Cooper would be my choice, less expensive would be a kimber 8400 and if synthetic, seekins.

On side note, sounds like a tough kid and great parents to get through this and have a degree as well. I can't imagine how tough to see your kids in that pain and not be able to help. Great to hear he is improving.