Rifle suggestions - Gift to my son.

Ralphie

WKR
That would be a great idea if he is into ARs.
Not sure which part of my post was related to ARs, but it's pretty common to "build" a custom bolt action rifle. Often using the services of a gunsmith. And I think I've seen a few suppressors on bolt actions rifles.

I would avoid Sako because of the scope mount and the dovetail. I still have one and it’s not easy to get a mount set up to my liking.

If I were you, I would look into a full custom build. Good luck.

Reactions: MEP

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Proof elevation or you could build one with him. I haven't done it, but I've watched enough videos to see that it isn't too involved. I think building one with my son would be special and an heirloom.

elkguide

WKR
Congratulations to him and to you and your wife for getting through everything that life threw at you.

I'd definitely talk with him about what he likes. Some of my favorite rifles, that feel perfect in my hands, my boys don't care for. I'd make it a great father and son project to go out and find or have built "the perfect" rifle. Enjoy.

WPFY543

FNG
Building could be a fun option and will be $3-4k for the rifle alone if done right. Sounds like he already has a shooter so may not see better accuracy out of a new build. I would spend less on the rifle (there are so many accurate options these days) and more on the additional components that will make the technical aspects of shooting more enjoyable.

I would consider a Seekins PH2 + better glass + suppressor. If anything is left in the budget, spend it on ammo

SC HUNTER

FNG
Bring it up in conversation and get his thought on things.

For the money look into building a custom gun that will always be "his gun" and ditch the brake for a suppressor. The suppressor will help with recoil and noise which it sounds like he could be sensitive too.

Congratulations to your son on getting through everything he's gone through so far.

Wby Mark V would be my vote. I've got a carbonmark in .300 wby and a Weathermark in .270 win. I'll never get rid of those rifles. Congrats on the degree and props to you for fighting through the tough times supporting him along the way.

OP
MEP

MEP

FNG
If this is true he doesn't need anything else.
Yes, but a .243. Not enough rifle for elk and I think on deer sized game I would limit it to 300 yards, maybe 400 or so for antelope. Awesome first "big game" rifle for a young man though. My old man started me on a 270 at 11. It was too much gun for me at that age and developed some bad habits with it. Did not want that for the lad. Bout the time I was 14 grew into it nicely but should have started smaller.

His 7MM is a bit over a MOA at 100 yards, never found ammo it likes but for what the gun is, and costs, can't complain.

The picture below is from the first time sighting it in (243). I got her close at 25 and then started at 100 yards. I wasn't expecting much, it was a darn windy and gusty day, I was shooting from a flimsy plastic table and a lawn chair off a plastic bench. First two shots are above the dime as I started walking it to where I wanted. Third shot is in the middle of that 4 shot group to the right of the dime.

Thought was looking good after the third but on the fourth shot, I couldn't see it through my cheep spotting scope. Thought it went off the paper. Shot again, still can't see it through the vibrations on the scope due to the wind. Get frustrated, take a shot at the 25 yard target and it looks to be on the money. Crank in another round and shoot. Still can't see the darn thing on the paper. That is when I grabbed the spotting scope and braced it against the table and chair. It was going through the same hole!

Biggest mistake I made was continuing to shoot at that target and the ones adjacent to it (you can see some 22s as well). Should have pulled it and framed it right then...

Attachments

• KEVIN'S 243 TARGET.JPG
    KEVIN'S 243 TARGET.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 11
OP
MEP

MEP

FNG
MEP,

Your son did not take the easy way out; BSEE is something to be proud of. Some good advice above. Since he has the beater portion of the 7mm collection covered with the Davage why not have a nice one. A M70, Kimber, Cooper to name a few. I always like having at least one nice rifle and one I’m not worried about beating up at least in each caliber. Often take and use both on hunt’s depending on weather. Always nice to have a backup.

Sure hope the migraines keep getting better; my son had some minor issues with them but nothing even scratching the surface of what your family has gone thru.
Yes, and he is lucky. His last doc said he had about a 50 to 75% chance to grow out of it and said he was lucky with those odds. young women only have a 25% or less chance. Count our blessings every day. We thought he may never be able to hold a job, one reason we really stayed on him to finish school, even if it took 5 more years.

We had taken him to some of the best childhood migraine docs and hospitals in the country. Can't tell you how many tests and drugs they tried. Some required monthly blood tests to make sure the drugs were not damaging the internal organs. The worst was, and I forget the terminology, but it is essentially a nerve block. They take a needle and insert it up the nasal passages while viewing through an imaging system. It goes up to almost the forehead and back a bit before they stop. You have to be awake for that too, no numbing either! That kid is tougher than I ever could hope to be. Even with that, his mom and I would also tell him as bad is it is, there are always people who have it worse, you should count your blessings.

OP
MEP

MEP

FNG
id avoid fierce.
if your in that 3K budget you ever maybe consider bringing it up to him to build him his very own custom?
I mean if your going for a heirloom type of rifle nothing beats the "I built my own rifle with my father" rather than a off the self factory rifle, plus could be a fun project for you 2.
I was thinking custom, I did want it before he graduated but that is not going to happen. May just give him a box with a scope and a blank check (with limits) to fill in what goes underneath it. That way he gets what he wants and not what I think he wants. Problem with that is he is very frugal with money and even more so with our money. I will have to goad him to get him to use it.

OP
MEP

MEP

FNG
As him his opinion on what his ideal dream rifle/shotgun is. Just as a conversation.
Tried that, I think he is on to me and got pretty tight lipped. For his 21st B-day we got him a 45. He was looking at an M&P but I talked him into looking at a 1911 as I know he loves military arms. Finally we tried a SA Loaded Marine Corp Operator (he wanted to join the Marines in the worst way) and he fell in love but wouldn't let me buy it for him. We walked away but my wife suddenly had to go to the bathroom, went back and picked it up for him. He was both pissed and happy at the same time!

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know much about anything, but when you have a free moment, take a little time to look at the Carnivore diet. Has helped some with similar issues and nothing to lose by trying it.