Required precision video and using WEZ

If recoil had no trade-offs, all the PRS guys would be running big 338's with 300 grain projectiles to minimize environmental effects.

The big cartridges make spotting hits/misses, quick follow-up shots, and managing recoil in compromised positions all more difficult.

Those trade-offs are why the PRS guys are shooting 25 lb. 6mm rifles.

Edited to add:
The whole point I was trying to make is that all of these trade-offs also apply to hunting scenarios and are magnified the lighter the rifle gets.
338's not allowed by rule

huntnful

WKR
I seriously love consuming all of this information, and applying it and shaping my mindset as well. I'm curious @Formidilosus at what actual distance do the bigger bullets, going faster, TRULY make sense?

These are two EXACT loads and platforms I am currently shooting.

6 PRC 10lbs scoped
109 ELDM
3150FPS
.290 G7

7-300 NMI 10lbs scoped
180 ELDM
3300FPS
.385 G7

Say they have the same exact accuracy on a bench. Shooting in field conditions, with field winds. At what distance would you personally switch over to the 7-300?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I seriously love consuming all of this information, and applying it and shaping my mindset as well. I'm curious @Formidilosus at what actual distance do the bigger bullets, going faster, TRULY make sense?

These are two EXACT loads and platforms I am currently shooting.

6 PRC 10lbs scoped
109 ELDM
3150FPS
.290 G7

7-300 NMI 10lbs scoped
180 ELDM
3300FPS
.385 G7

Say they have the same exact accuracy on a bench. Shooting in field conditions, with field winds. At what distance would you personally switch over to the 7-300?

At mid DA (5k), when the vast majority of my shots on animals would be past 900’ish yards; and closer, quicker or less than perfect prone shots were not going to be a thing.

Macintosh

WKR
338's not allowed by rule
Yes, but there are big magnum-ish cartridges that are allowed, and no one is using those either. Prs cartridges are getting smaller if anything, not bigger. Thats the point. Its why nrl hunter has a “power factor”, because otherwise people would “cheat” by using tiny cartridges to avoid the negative effect of recoil.

Last edited:

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
FWIW the Bison Ballistics website also has a hit probability calculator you can play with. I'm curious how it compares to WEZ

Thanks, playing with that; assuming I can only call wind within an SD of 8 mph, I should not be shooting at animals at 300 yards in the mountains. Discount wind, and I'm good to much further. Heck, even if I can call it within an SD of 5 mph I don't like the hit probability on an animal. 250 yards is were my 243 starts getting me above a 90% hit rate on an 8 inch target, 200 yards with my 223. The slight difference in precision (1.8 MOA for 243 and 1.4 MOA for 223) is immaterial.

On a 9 inch target, if I can only call wind within an SD of 8 mph, then with my 243 I should not be shooting past 200 yards if I want a 90% or higher hit rate.

stan_wa

WKR
Thanks, playing with that; assuming I can only call wind within an SD of 8 mph, I should not be shooting at animals at 300 yards in the mountains. Discount wind, and I'm good to much further. Heck, even if I can call it within an SD of 5 mph I don't like the hit probability on an animal. 250 yards is were my 243 starts getting me above a 90% hit rate on an 8 inch target, 200 yards with my 223. The slight difference in precision (1.8 MOA for 243 and 1.4 MOA for 223) is immaterial.

On a 9 inch target, if I can only call wind within an SD of 8 mph, then with my 243 I should not be shooting past 200 yards if I want a 90% or higher hit rate.
your giving your self a pretty bad wind SD error. a wind SD of 8 mph mean you pretty far off. thats saying 95% of the time your within 16 mph and 99.7 % of the time you within 24 mph. take whatever number you think you can call wind within most of the time, (lets say 95 % of the time to be precise) then divide that by 2 and use that input, this picture might add some insight in to the SD and a normal distribution.

1720406404984.png

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
your giving your self a pretty bad wind SD error. a wind SD of 8 mph mean you pretty far off. thats saying 95% of the time your within 16 mph and 99.7 % of the time you within 24 mph. take whatever number you think you can call wind within most of the time, (lets say 95 % of the time to be precise) then divide that by 2 and use that input, this picture might add some insight in to the SD and a normal distribution.

View attachment 733468
So, do all ballistic hit calculators, you still divide your estimated wind call by 2?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The consensus of people I shoot with when we do field hunting comps, shooting schools, long range and guided hunts are that most shooters are in the 2-4MOA range in field conditions. Sub 2MOA shooters in field conditions are going to be rare. 4MOA is probably the average. Even with good wind calls, a lot of other errors blow the error rate above 2MOA in the field.

Last edited:

Macht

FNG
So, do all ballistic hit calculators, you still divide your estimated wind call by 2?
No, WEZ isn't a standard ballistic calculator. It's looking for uncertainties in the form of standard deviations. Normal ballistic calculators are asking for your best estimate/measurement of the wind conditions for the shot taking place.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
No, WEZ isn't a standard ballistic calculator. It's looking for uncertainties in the form of standard deviations. Normal ballistic calculators are asking for your best estimate/measurement of the wind conditions for the shot taking place.

Bad question on my part. I meant to say ballistic Hit calculators like WEZ or Bison’s. I do not mean a ballistic calculator like Shooter.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I'd err on more wind error than you think. For Bison's calculator if I assume 10MPH wind, I'd do +-3-5MPH. For 5MPH wind I'd do again more like +-1-2MPH error. Most people overestimate how good they are at reading wind just as they do everything else. Really good shooters I've seen are more like +-10% error, but that is really very hard to do on broken terrain at distance.

Last edited:

stan_wa

WKR
it depends on what the input in that calculator, if the input is standard deviation or sigma that not the same thing as average wind error for example I can’t speak to all hit calculations