Required precision video and using WEZ

If recoil had no trade-offs, all the PRS guys would be running big 338's with 300 grain projectiles to minimize environmental effects.

The big cartridges make spotting hits/misses, quick follow-up shots, and managing recoil in compromised positions all more difficult.

Those trade-offs are why the PRS guys are shooting 25 lb. 6mm rifles.

Edited to add:
The whole point I was trying to make is that all of these trade-offs also apply to hunting scenarios and are magnified the lighter the rifle gets.
338's not allowed by rule

huntnful

WKR
I seriously love consuming all of this information, and applying it and shaping my mindset as well. I'm curious @Formidilosus at what actual distance do the bigger bullets, going faster, TRULY make sense?

These are two EXACT loads and platforms I am currently shooting.

6 PRC 10lbs scoped
109 ELDM
3150FPS
.290 G7

7-300 NMI 10lbs scoped
180 ELDM
3300FPS
.385 G7

Say they have the same exact accuracy on a bench. Shooting in field conditions, with field winds. At what distance would you personally switch over to the 7-300?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I seriously love consuming all of this information, and applying it and shaping my mindset as well. I'm curious @Formidilosus at what actual distance do the bigger bullets, going faster, TRULY make sense?

These are two EXACT loads and platforms I am currently shooting.

6 PRC 10lbs scoped
109 ELDM
3150FPS
.290 G7

7-300 NMI 10lbs scoped
180 ELDM
3300FPS
.385 G7

Say they have the same exact accuracy on a bench. Shooting in field conditions, with field winds. At what distance would you personally switch over to the 7-300?

At mid DA (5k), when the vast majority of my shots on animals would be past 900’ish yards; and closer, quicker or less than perfect prone shots were not going to be a thing.

Macintosh

WKR
338's not allowed by rule
Yes, but there are big magnum-ish cartridges that are allowed, and no one is using those either. Prs cartridges are getting smaller if anything, not bigger. Thats the point. Its why nrl hunter has a “power factor”, because otherwise people would “cheat” by using tiny cartridges to avoid the negative effect of recoil.

Last edited: