Replace original House Windows

the OE windows on my house have a nailing flange that's mounted under the siding on the house. This is the flange that holds the window in place. i need to replace one of these windows and I don't have replacement siding. Is cutting the flange off a bad idea? the new window does not have one of these flanges

No that should work. Just run a sawsall blade all the way around the old window to cut the flange and pop it out. I would double check the new one is the right size before tearing the old one out.

ElkNut1

WKR
Are you sure the windows nailing fin is behind the siding? It may just be the window trim covering it?

ElkNut

wnelson14

WKR
If the window is not close to other windows or decorative I would cut the siding without cutting the house paper remove, install new window below house paper re flash around the window and then add trim (2x6 or 2x4) around the window in the void of the space between window and siding that was cut.

Backyard

WKR
Remove the siding carefully. Then replace it in reverse. It’s not that hard. (I just did 8 myself on my house)If don’t, you won’t be able to see any hidden water damage that could have occurred over the years. It’s best to do it correctly even if it takes a bit more effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk