Your take on classified ad "price deleting".

CB4

WKR
I get where this comes from and get frustrated with it too occasionally. However whenever I sell something I notice if the price is still on there, even if it is maked as sold please continue to reach out. I find most people will respond to a quick DM asking what you sold it for so they can price theirs accordingly.

bozeman

WKR
Yes the mods would very much appreciate if you marked your item as sold and lock the thread.

Like putting a shopping cart away, those that don't do it shouldn't be afforded the luxury of using it next time.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
We need cart narcs for the classifieds!!!

Attachments

• cart narcs.jpg
    cart narcs.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
What's the benefit to the seller of leaving it?
They get to keep the 2 mins of their life they took to doctor up the data post sale?

I think comps are good and save time for both parties. A reasonable person will note that a sale occurred in the past and that today's market is today's market but its still a good process for due diligence just like real estate.

They get to keep the 2 mins of their life they took to doctor up the data post sale?

Enough people are taking the time...they must think it's worth it. It honestly only takes a moment to update a list with SOLD and mark the prefix or whatever it is as Sold.

This thing we are discussing should either be a rule of the forum and enforced, or people just do what they want (which I understand is where we are now). Agree that it would be best for the community of the listing remained and it was statused as closed or at least no longer for sale.

CorbLand

WKR
Enough people are taking the time...they must think it's worth it. It honestly only takes a moment to update a list with SOLD and mark the prefix or whatever it is as Sold.

This thing we are discussing should either be a rule of the forum and enforced, or people just do what they want (which I understand is where we are now). Agree that it would be best for the community of the listing remained and it was statused as closed or at least no longer for sale.
It should be left alone and let people do whatever they see fit. Ryan has said many times that the classifieds is the most time consuming part of the forum. People wanting to add BS enforcement like this will only lead to it going away period.

How someone gave this the thought long enough to create a thread about it is far more confusing than trying to figure out what to price something at.

OP
BigSky

BigSky

WKR
How someone gave this the thought long enough to create a thread about it is far more confusing than trying to figure out what to price something at.
I've always considered myself on the low end of the bell curve; however, it takes about two seconds to see an ad to try to determine what prices are for like items and then to see someone took even more time than that to go and remove their price to make one wonder why. I, for one, didn't advocate any such mandates. I just started a thread to have a conversation on a topic. Why someone gives enough thought to partake in a thread that clearly doesn't interest them and then to also post that thread is beyond me. Maybe we should remove all threads and simply have a "Say Hello" forum.

However, in a prophylactic move, you are exactly the person (type of person) to whom my first and second sentence were directed when I typed: "I know, I know, first world problems. Anyway, it's a forum for conversation on topics and this one is annoying, not life-changing, but annoying."

Be well CorbLand.

stump06

WKR
I leave the price specifically for this reason. I just mark the item as sold and close the thread

Broomd

WKR
There really is none. It evens out the playing field between buyer/seller. Any market manipulation you could achieve on a tiny hunting classifieds forum is easily undone by a couple seconds of research on other sales sites.
I’d be way more worried about scams when moving big $$ for some of these optics, which is why I don’t use the classifieds.

To each his own, but after literally scores (hundreds?) of successful 'buy and sell' deals here I can't think of one thing to redeem your thoughts.
"Tiny hunting forum" --hard to imagine a better barometer for current market value than the RS, which is wildly popular and a great resource to buy and sell.

I suspect some delete their price because they under-priced an item and don't want to feel any discomfort in that after the fact.

I’m not sure I’ve deleted a price, but it doesn’t matter if they delete it once sold. It’s way less annoying looking at an item of interest and the seller is too proud of their item to put a price. Just pm for price. Screams red flags. I have and will again delete posts of things I’ve sold. It’s no one’s business other than the buyer of what I sold, and what he bought.

CorbLand

WKR
I've always considered myself on the low end of the bell curve; however, it takes about two seconds to see an ad to try to determine what prices are for like items and then to see someone took even more time than that to go and remove their price to make one wonder why. I, for one, didn't advocate any such mandates. I just started a thread to have a conversation on a topic. Why someone gives enough thought to partake in a thread that clearly doesn't interest them and then to also post that thread is beyond me. Maybe we should remove all threads and simply have a "Say Hello" forum.

However, in a prophylactic move, you are exactly the person (type of person) to whom my first and second sentence were directed when I typed: "I know, I know, first world problems. Anyway, it's a forum for conversation on topics and this one is annoying, not life-changing, but annoying."

Be well CorbLand.
That’s where you are wrong. I do have an interest in this thread. That’s why I posted.

My interest is posted in the post you quoted.

Classifieds are really one of the only reasons I have stuck around the last couple years. If those went away, I wouldn’t have a reason and you all would miss me. I would hate for that to happen.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not sure I’ve deleted a price, but it doesn’t matter if they delete it once sold. It’s way less annoying looking at an item of interest and the seller is too proud of their item to put a price. Just pm for price. Screams red flags. I have and will again delete posts of things I’ve sold. It’s no one’s business other than the buyer of what I sold, and what he bought.
That is a rule, we do require a price posted publicly. If not it can become an auction and lead to confusion, complaints for us to deal with.

To each his own, but after literally scores (hundreds?) of successful 'buy and sell' deals here I can't think of one thing to redeem your thoughts.
"Tiny hunting forum" --hard to imagine a better barometer for current market value than the RS, which is wildly popular and a great resource to buy and sell.
People post about scammers on here all the time. It’s brought up every time someone even mentions a WTB.
And yes in comparison to eBay, gunbroker, FB marketplace, and other gear/optics/tactical forums, rokslide is a tiny percentage of the market for private hunting gear sales. Not sure why that was offensive in context.