Rental for sept hunt

OP
Mdfowlman2
If you just want to prevent a quick grab theft .
Take a krypton cable and the long padlocks and just cable all that together and thru the bed tie down.
If there willing to get thru that there willing to cut a tonneau and bust window
Just said the exact thing to one of the guys

Marble

WKR
Flight tickets are super expensive right now. The tickets I looked up a few weeks ago were $1800 for tickets that were normally 800-900. No way I would fly considering that cost and the logistics of shipping meat, gear etc.

The other consideration is to buy a vehicle while you are there and then sell it if you must fly.

Having some control and predictably on your vehicle situation is critical. If it saves an extra 1.5 days, maybe the real issue is trying to get some extra time. Just one extra day might sway the decision.

And if you don't have a cover on your truck, maybe consider a trailer for long term use. I bought a huge horse trailer because two weeks of of the year I use it.

If you have a problem and all the solutions are shitty, there needs to be another solution.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
Can there be a 'sticky' for Reading Comprehension 101? The OP didnt ask 'what anyone thought of his strategy', he only asked options for a RENTAL.........

I would X100 the idea of calling the local dealerships and asking. While we were visiting Glacier NP, this was mentioned to us as an option the next time we visited......had never thought about it before, so check with them. Best of luck and hunt safe!!

OP
Mdfowlman2
Flight tickets are super expensive right now. The tickets I looked up a few weeks ago were $1800 for tickets that were normally 800-900. No way I would fly considering that cost and the logistics of shipping meat, gear etc.

The other consideration is to buy a vehicle while you are there and then sell it if you must fly.

Having some control and predictably on your vehicle situation is critical. If it saves an extra 1.5 days, maybe the real issue is trying to get some extra time. Just one extra day might sway the decision.

And if you don't have a cover on your truck, maybe consider a trailer for long term use. I bought a huge horse trailer because two weeks of of the year I use it.

If you have a problem and all the solutions are shitty, there needs to be another solution.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Flights are already purchased $400 round trip.
Diesel is $6 right now and it’s a 5500 mile round trip. Over $2k in fuel and an additional $200 in tolls.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Flights are already purchased $400 round trip.
Diesel is $6 right now and it’s a 5500 mile round trip. Over $2k in fuel and an additional $200 in tolls.
As others have said I would look at a cable and a lock to secure coolers. We've done the Maryland to Wyoming gig and had a generator and other gear in the bed of the truck ( no cover) and went with running cables and then locking to the cleat inside the bed of the truck.

Doing the same as you, flying to Denver ($386 round trip) then across the border to New Mexico. Rental truck split 3 ways is definitely saving some money.

I think renting make sense

That's what I do every year when hunting down in the Lower-48; fly back and forth from Alaska and rent a four-wheel-drive Jeep near my hunting location.

For me it's easier than driving back and forth from/to Alaska, although I've done that a few times as well (for grins).

One thing for certain though, I'm pretty careful where I take those rental Jeeps.

A large portion of my hunting in the Lower-48 is remote backpacking stuff and I'm not tooling around in the Jeep, going back and forth to different hunting spots every day.

7Bartman

WKR
Southwest, oversized bag fee is $75. Up to 80” combined L+W+H and under 100lbs.
For $150 I can fly back two 120qt igloo coolers up to a total of 200lbs.
I do the same thing every year. As others have mentioned it will be $75 for over 50lbs and $75 if over the 62 linear inches. I've found it best to do multiple smaller coolers (right at 48-50lbs), but it can get difficult with the number of coolers when I'm by myself at the airport. I put the backstraps/tenderloins in my soft-sided cooler as a carry-on (not weight restricted). Never had any issues with freeze thaw.
I'm flying out to BZN from BWI in Sept as well. I must say, SW has been really crappy the last 18 months, but never had a problem with them before this time period.
As far as the rental car, instead of a truck why not look to get a large SUV? That will provide the protection you need and some extra overhead space.
For rentals, costco or autoslash.com.

OP
Mdfowlman2
It’s not $75 for over 50lbs and an additio
I do the same thing every year. As others have mentioned it will be $75 for over 50lbs and $75 if over the 62 linear inches. I've found it best to do multiple smaller coolers (right at 48-50lbs), but it can get difficult with the number of coolers when I'm by myself at the airport. I put the backstraps/tenderloins in my soft-sided cooler as a carry-on (not weight restricted). Never had any issues with freeze thaw.
I'm flying out to BZN from BWI in Sept as well. I must say, SW has been really crappy the last 18 months, but never had a problem with them before this time period.
As far as the rental car, instead of a truck why not look to get a large SUV? That will provide the protection you need and some extra overhead space.
For rentals, costco or autoslash.com.
It’s not $75 for over 50lbs and and additional $75 for over 62”, per the southwest website annover size bag is over 62” and it over 50lbs, only one $75 fee is charged for bags meeting one or both limits.
Now it is an additional $75 if the bag is your 3rd bag.

Attachments

• CF1E0104-8E15-4981-B507-3F2E7F6A9AA1.jpeg
    CF1E0104-8E15-4981-B507-3F2E7F6A9AA1.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 3

7Bartman

WKR
r bags meeting one or both limits.
Now it is an additional $75 if the bag is your 3rd bag.
Yes, I was assuming your bow/gear would be the first 2 bags. You are correct. It's with the 3rd+ bags. I've had up to 4 additional coolers.

OP
Mdfowlman2
Once you
Yes, I was assuming your bow/gear would be the first 2 bags. You are correct. It's with the 3rd+ bags. I've had up to 4 additional coolers.
Doesn’t much benefit you to go smaller with the coolers for under 50lbs. Extra bags are $75 under 50lbs, extra bags 50-100lbs are $150, it’s the same cost either way.