Rental for sept hunt

So we are headed back to Montana again this September. The current fuel cost made the trip from Md quite a bi cheaper to fly than drive even including the rental cost. We drove out last year, the 32hr drive wasn’t too bad and it was nice having xtra gear but we couldn’t done without most of it.
Flying out also gives us 1.5 extra hunting days😬. Our only hiccup so far is finding a rental truck with a tonneau cover or camper shell, I’ve been looking on Turo and have found a bunch of trucks for a reasonable rate but no bed cover makers things tough.
What other options should I be considering for rentals?
Tia

Gutshotem

WKR
What are you trying to cover up?
I've never had any kind of cover on my truck. If it's something I'm worried about getting stolen I either stuff it in the cab or I keep a length of steel cable that I'll run through and padlock.

OP
Mdfowlman2
What are you trying to cover up?
I've never had any kind of cover on my truck. If it's something I'm worried about getting stolen I either stuff it in the cab or I keep a length of steel cable that I'll run through and padlock.
Three bow cases, two coolers on the theft end of it. Three guys in a truck doesn’t allow for much room for the packs and other gear inside the cab if it’s raining.

Gutshotem

WKR
If you can't find something with a cover maybe look for a suburban or similar. We rented one to take from PA to MT a few years ago and it worked well. I believe they all have a trailer hitch too. We grabbed a hitch haul for like $60 at wall mart for the ride back.

Ucsdryder

WKR
So we are headed back to Montana again this September. The current fuel cost made the trip from Md quite a bi cheaper to fly than drive even including the rental cost. We drove out last year, the 32hr drive wasn’t too bad and it was nice having xtra gear but we couldn’t done without most of it.
Flying out also gives us 1.5 extra hunting days😬. Our only hiccup so far is finding a rental truck with a tonneau cover or camper shell, I’ve been looking on Turo and have found a bunch of trucks for a reasonable rate but no bed cover makers things tough.
What other options should I be considering for rentals?
Tia
Have you looked at rental car costs lately?

Cubby

WKR
I live in SE MT and work at a Ford dealer that rents vehicles and for the entire hunting season we don't rent trucks and are very hesitant to renting our Expeditions out that time of year because of the way they are treated during hunting season. I know a lot of rental places in Billings and surrounding areas do the same of no rental trucks during hunting season so you may want to make a call and confirm with them that you will be able to rent a pickup. Just FYI

My suburban rolls down the interstate at 23 mpg, so when I drove from NE of Baltimore to Montana in 2020 and Colorado in 2021, my fuel costs were nothing compared to airfare, and I didn't have to worry about the airlines losing my weapon and equipment like they did when I flew to Bozeman in 2018. The only way I'd fly to the rockies for a hunt at this point is if I was being picked up by a buddy who drove my gear for me.

OP
Mdfowlman2
I live in SE MT and work at a Ford dealer that rents vehicles and for the entire hunting season we don't rent trucks and are very hesitant to renting our Expeditions out that time of year because of the way they are treated during hunting season. I know a lot of rental places in Billings and surrounding areas do the same of no rental trucks during hunting season so you may want to make a call and confirm with them that you will be able to rent a pickup. Just FYI
Not using rental company, using turo

OP
Mdfowlman2
My suburban rolls down the interstate at 23 mpg, so when I drove from NE of Baltimore to Montana in 2020 and Colorado in 2021, my fuel costs were nothing compared to airfare, and I didn't have to worry about the airlines losing my weapon and equipment like they did when I flew to Bozeman in 2018. The only way I'd fly to the rockies for a hunt at this point is if I was being picked up by a buddy who drove my gear for me.
Losing luggage is always a concern but it’s actually very rare, there’s less than 1% chance of lost, delayed luggage.
We made the exact drive last year 5500 mile round trip, with tolls we were $650 each,
This year fuel is nearly double the prices from last September, flights were $437 each and the rental truck is $453 each. $890 each round trip including the rental is hard to beat. Not to mention is affords us two additional hunting days.
Lost luggage would be more likely if layovers were short, I won’t book any flight with a layover under an hour.

Gutshotem

WKR
There are rental deals to be had if you look. We have a full size quad cab pickup booked for 9 or 10 days this November out of PA. I believe the total is under $500.

Gutshotem

WKR
Yeah we made sure to get unlimited mileage. Just went back and checked and its actually 589 because we got the insurance for an extra $99.

OP
Mdfowlman2
Yeah we made sure to get unlimited mileage. Just went back and checked and its actually 589 because we got the insurance for an extra $99.
Best I can find is $1800 for a pickup or larger suv on Hotwire. Sounds like you found a killer deal