DIY POW Hunt Sept - Oct (Transporter / Boat Rentals)

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t imagine trying to climb off an anchored skiff into a kayak, and then from the kayak into a skiff in SE Alaska in the fall. Sounds like a good way to die.
Bears should be by the creeks eating fish that time of year. Shouldn’t be an issue to find one, but might be hard to find one not rubbed up.
Deer from the beach could work if there are muskegs or clear cuts near.
Make sure your schedule includes time to get your bear sealed. And figure out ahead where you plan to take it for sealing.
There is a trick. If you have a piece of rope tied to the front of the kayak, hold in you hand while you are climbing into the kayak from the boat. This does not allow the kayak shoot away from underneath you. Life vest is a must. I don't think it was more the 3-4 years ago they found a bear hunter who died after falling into the water after a successful hunt. I believe it was on the inside of POW.

I think seabound or just driving on the island which one is more effective can be argued by many. I would spend alot of time on Google earth and have a plan. Second growth is to be avoided at all costs.

Regarding the time of the hunt. My experience that time of year you will find the majority of good bucks in sub alpine, look for old growth. Darker woods on satellite. You can move fairly quick until you start seeing good sign, then you start moving really slow. This was taught to me by my father in-law who has lived on the island for 40 years. I believe he has close to 100 deer under his belt. Pre rut was always his favorite because of the challenge. The rut can almost be stupid easy.

Yes they can be in muskegs that time of year but it is argued whether you find them there because they like muskegs, or the fact that it is a clearing and you can actually see the damn things.

Regardless it is a tricky time to go since they aren't necessarily in the alpine anymore, and they aren't on the beach either like they often do in the winter.

Yeah bears might still be feeding on dead fish but at that point they don't give a shit about you. Obviously unless it's a sow with cubs.

If this is a bear hunt, hunting out of a Kayak in the ocean is the wrong place to be in September/October.

gbflyer

WKR
Wolves have raised Hell with the deer down there. I think it’s bucks only. That’s a tough time of year. If you get one you will have earned it for sure. Hope you have a great trip.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Wolves have raised Hell with the deer down there. I think it’s bucks only. That’s a tough time of year. If you get one you will have earned it for sure. Hope you have a great trip.
Yes this is true. In certain areas. As always the biologists had it figured out a few years back, then revised it. The bears and the wolves have hit em hard. It's not as easy as it once was.
But I will say if you get off the beaten path, you will find good stuff.
This summer I went to where baichtal took randy Newberg. And all I can say, it was unbelievable. But getting there and back took alot and then some. With that said, there is still plenty good country that is more easily accessible.

Yes this is true. In certain areas. As always the biologists had it figured out a few years back, then revised it. The bears and the wolves have hit em hard. It's not as easy as it once was.
But I will say if you get off the beaten path, you will find good stuff.
This summer I went to where baichtal took randy Newberg. And all I can say, it was unbelievable. But getting there and back took alot and then some. With that said, there is still plenty good country that is more easily accessible.
Most folks wouldn’t go there even if they knew how to get there. And that place was better in the 90’s when Jim was getting the trophies. But everywhere around POW was better then.

LoggerDan

WKR
Bears aren’t the problem and never have been. bears are just an easy scapegoat for people who don’t know how to hunt.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Most folks wouldn’t go there even if they knew how to get there. And that place was better in the 90’s when Jim was getting the trophies. But everywhere around POW was better then.
Aint that the truth. I remember i shot a pretty nice 4 point first time I went out. Got that "well that wasn't that hard" feeling. Haha, boy did that bite me in the ass.

I bet that place was better way back when. Obviously my reference is the past 10 years or so. So I haven't been around that long. And as always, it was always better back then.

Yes the deer numbers are down. Many factors. I would argue that the bears are def part of the problem. They went from OTC to draw for bears a few years back.

Wolves another one, biologists have a hard time making good estimations. A few years they came up with 80, then they revised it to 250 or whatever the reason was. Shortening the trapping season etc.

Hunters are another problem. Obviously. Question is how sustainable it is for residents and non residents can get 4 tags each. Not only locals from the island hunt there, ppl from Ketchikan side come over as well plus the non residents.

Habitat and logging is another. So many factors go into it.

Last edited:
I agree, bears eating fawns, wolves, hunting pressure, lack of logging, lack of big timber stands, overly dense monoculture second growth, some hard winters. It all adds up.

Still a fun place to hunt.

gbflyer

WKR
Tongass Odyssey by John Schoen has a good amount of Sitka Blacktail info. Kinda have to sift through some of the “issues” depending on your view of logging, that aside I find it to be a good reference.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, bears eating fawns, wolves, hunting pressure, lack of logging, lack of big timber stands, overly dense monoculture second growth, some hard winters. It all adds up.

Still a fun place to hunt.
For sure.

If you are up for it and ready to go where it is hard to get, and you have have done your research, you will more than likely have a good chance to get one. With that said, the time period that OP is talking about is not easy but does not mean it is impossible.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Tongass Odyssey by John Schoen has a good amount of Sitka Blacktail info. Kinda have to sift through some of the “issues” depending on your view of logging, that aside I find it to be a good reference.
Logging doesn't have to be bad for deer habitat, IF it is done the right way and they go in and thin the trees properly afterwards Issue is that it is seldom done in a timely manner. Alot of the country being logged is native land, that has been contracted to a logging company and thats it. It is left alone after that. Meaning all kinds of crap will grow such as alders, devils cluve etc. Which is not very good deer habitat.

gbflyer

WKR
Logging doesn't have to be bad for deer habitat, IF it is done the right way and they go in and thin the trees properly afterwards Issue is that it is seldom done in a timely manner. Alot of the country being logged is native land, that has been contracted to a logging company and thats it. It is left alone after that. Meaning all kinds of crap will grow such as alders, devils cluve etc. Which is not very good deer habitat.

Yep. Been in SE for nearly 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am late to the party but I have a place in Coffman and I hunt there every November. It sounds like you talked to Mike in Coffman. Mike is a solid guy and his customers always return to him for a reason. I see the same guys year after year driving around in his rigs and his boats in the summer.

It is a pretty tough go once you get off the road system so if you are going in by boat just be patient and be prepared to move much slower than you are used to. Also, I cant stress enough how much you will want micro spikes and some cheap ass orange rubber insulated gloves once you are off the road. Everywhere you slip there is a pesky little plant known as devil's club waiting for you to grab on to. Also don't underestimate ADFG and where they are willing to go. It seems like every year and definitely last year we bump into at least one. Last year they went out and found some guys with a wall tent and it did not go well for them. I guess half didn't have tags and even if they did I guess they had quite a few hanging. And if you see a wolf .............

Lots of experienced folks commenting here but if I can help in any way send a message and I will share all I can.

AKplumber

FNG
Hunted Pow about 6 times. The best deal I found for a tourist experience is eagle lodge. Other than that I’d rent a vehicle from dj’s and rent a forest service cabin or bring a tent that’s waterproof lol. Oh and don’t forget rain gear