Remington 700 Fires When Bolt is Closed or Safety Released

Bowjack

FNG
I bought a used Remington 700. It is a nice rifle but was extremely dirty when I purchased it. I cleaned the rifle and took it to the range and sighted it in. It functioned fine.

However, today I cycled the bolt and the empty rifle fired. The rifle also fired when the safety is released. Fortunately, the rifle was unloaded and I was only cycling the bolt.

I have read that cleansing the bolt may help, but I do not trust this rifle anymore. In fact, this thing scares the crap out of me.

If I install a new Trigger Tech or Timney trigger will it resolve the problem?

TaperPin

WKR
I bought a used Remington 700. It is a nice rifle but was extremely dirty when I purchased it. I cleaned the rifle and took it to the range and sighted it in. It functioned fine.

However, today I cycled the bolt and the empty rifle fired. The rifle also fired when the safety is released. Fortunately, the rifle was unloaded and I was only cycling the bolt.

I have read that cleansing the bolt may help, but I do not trust this rifle anymore. In fact, this thing scares the crap out of me.

If I install a new Trigger Tech or Timney trigger will it resolve the problem?
That’s classic dirty trigger and/or the sear engagement has been reduced too much by a weekend gunsmith - if you don’t replace the trigger, the existing trigger should be taken apart, cleaned and properly adjusted. Factory triggers aren’t that great so I automatically replace them. Even a replacement trigger will eventually need to be taken apart and cleaned, but it would solve your current problem.

TN2shot07

WKR
Unless you just want to replace it I’d have a competent gunsmith check it out. A good one can make those walker triggers as good as anything on the market.

The ex-marks that were on the new ones were junk, that’s an automatic replacement for me

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never once had an issue with the Remington triggers. Cleaned and a sear adjustment and you’re ready to go.

OP
B

Bowjack

FNG
You saw the CNBC special right? Send it back. Or take 20 min and swap the trigger out yourself.
Never saw the CNBC special.

I was in upstate NY during deer season 20 years ago. Someone was handed a loaded 7mm and as he cycled the action the gun went off. He swore he didn’t touch the trigger and if I didn’t see it, I wouldn’t have believed him.

I heard about the recall.

My trigger is getting replaced ASAP.