Do any Rem 700 custom actions lock bolt with safety?

I'm contemplating building a fully custom rifle for $hits and giggles, and couldn't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I love how the bolt on Tikka actions lock closed with the safety on. When I'm out busting brush in the field, I've had the bolt snag and open itself without me knowing.

Defiance, BAT - any of these have options for a short action with locking bolt/safety setup?

TaperPin

WKR
There are some custom 3 position safeties that mount on the bolt shroud like a Winchester model 70. I see at least one that comes as a full firing pin assembly and I’m guessing just screws in. I’ve never used any of these and assume they all lock the bolt, but all of them might not.

Attachments

• D2A008C5-D819-42F6-B685-035AC31B9275.png
    D2A008C5-D819-42F6-B685-035AC31B9275.png
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
swavescatter
[mention]Unknown Munitions [/mention]

Can you build a Rem700 short action with locking bolt?

Torn between 22 CM, 6CM or even 243AI.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Law m704 action does. I'm pretty sure it's a rem700 footprint.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the earliest Remington 700s did lock the bolt on safe, but it was still only a 2 position safety. This meant you had to switch to the fire position in order to unload the rifle and a few people with poor gun handling had NDs resulting in death. So the bolt lock feature was removed from the safety.

As was pointed out above, 3 position safeties are available such as THIS.

OP
swavescatter
Law m704 action does. I'm pretty sure it's a rem700 footprint.

Looked like that's a controlled round feed action. I've never run one of those so not sure I could commit. I'm guessing there's a reason they're only used for dangerous game cartridges....

OP
swavescatter
I believe the earliest Remington 700s did lock the bolt on safe, but it was still only a 2 position safety. This meant you had to switch to the fire position in order to unload the rifle and a few people with poor gun handling had NDs resulting in death. So the bolt lock feature was removed from the safety.

As was pointed out above, 3 position safeties are available such as THIS.

I'll have to ask my gunsmith if this could work with my existing Bergara action.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
It will work with your bergara acrion but does require some milling by your gunsmith they are not a simple screw on swap it has to have a spot milled out to lock properly when the safety is rolled forward. The law m704 is an amazing action and the control round feed is a feature that once I had it I wondered why all the rest dont. Cost is probably the reason behind that. But none the less I really like control round feed now that I've gotten to use a couple and any rifle I build from now on will probably be control round feed if I have the choice with a three position safety.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to say but I do believe that the LAW is also not around anymore so only used would be an option there.