Reloading vs Factory Price Comparison: 6.5 PRC Berger 156gr

doc1059

FNG
Just purchased a new Seekins Havak Element 6.5 PRC. Stuck between the Barnes LRX 127 and the Berger 156 gr for primarily white-tail hunting but want option for Bear, Mulies, Elk.

Price for factory box of Berger is $65-$75 and Barnes LRX $45-60. I have a family member that reloads but I would have to purchase the 6.5 PRC dies, bullets and brass. He has some powders.

Reloader say the handloads shoot better than factory ammo. Very interested in trying the Berger 156 gr load but trying to compare the price difference between buying Berger at $65+ a box or hand load for a couple hundred rounds?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 9.11.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 9.11.34 AM.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 21
I don't care what hornady "recommends". I have 2 freezers full of animals and walls of horns all killed with 147s and 156s... people also said not to use berger bullets for hunting because they are match bullets..

I've got 9 or 10 bear skulls on a shelf, all killed with 147 or 156s.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

If you only shoot 40 rounds a year, buy factory and don't look back. If you shoot on a regular basis, the cost benefit starts to tip in your favor around 7-8 boxes of ammo, especially at that price.

As far as shooting match bullets for hunting, there's an incredible amount of information on this forum (and others) on their effectiveness on game animals of every size. Good percentage of people out there that use select types of match bullets with great results, not all match bullets are equal in that regard.

Reloading the 6.5 PRC will give you better bullet selection with powder combinations. If you plan on shooting longer distances, then go with the 156 gr. Berger. If shots never go more than 400 yds., then I would choose the Barnes 127 gr. TTSX.

Marshfly

WKR
Those are the two factory offerings that shoot the best in my current 6.5 PRC.

Jay
My point is that they serve totally different purposes. LRX is if you have to use copper but want the best factory BC with copper. EOL is the absolute heaviest for caliber high BC match type bullet available. For me, the LRX isn’t a viable option since copper is too big a sacrifice in bullet performance over a good lead bullet.

The Guide

WKR
My point is that they serve totally different purposes. LRX is if you have to use copper but want the best factory BC with copper. EOL is the absolute heaviest for caliber high BC match type bullet available. For me, the LRX isn’t a viable option since copper is too big a sacrifice in bullet performance over a good lead bullet.
The guy I bought my 6.5 PRC barrel from said the 127 LRX shot well in the barrel. Bought some and when I spun it on my action it printed some little groups so we started killing with it. I haven't run out of the loaded ammo or bullets yet so we are still shooting game and targets with them. I have a 100 rounds of Berger Factory 156 ammo and 500 bullets to reload once I get the ammo shot up. Both bullets shoot sub MOA from that rifle with their respective factory loads. The Barnes loaded ammo is closer to advertised velocity for me than the Berger ammo is. I was quite disappointed that the Berger ammo was almost 200 fps slower than the advertised velocity of 2960 and actual of 2774 but I can dial for speed with the accuracy it displays.

At PRC speeds, either bullet is a viable option for hunting.

Jay

Marshfly

WKR
The guy I bought my 6.5 PRC barrel from said the 127 LRX shot well in the barrel. Bought some and when I spun it on my action it printed some little groups so we started killing with it. I haven't run out of the loaded ammo or bullets yet so we are still shooting game and targets with them. I have a 100 rounds of Berger Factory 156 ammo and 500 bullets to reload once I get the ammo shot up. Both bullets shoot sub MOA from that rifle with their respective factory loads. The Barnes loaded ammo is closer to advertised velocity for me than the Berger ammo is. I was quite disappointed that the Berger ammo was almost 200 fps slower than the advertised velocity of 2960 and actual of 2774 but I can dial for speed with the accuracy it displays.

At PRC speeds, either bullet is a viable option for hunting.

Jay
Your original post made it sound like you were going to choose from those two and had none.

You are in a unique position to kill with both and make your own judgement. I’d do that and ignore strangers on the internet.

charliehorse27

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same rifle as you and had great luck reloading with the Berger 156’s. They consistently shoot well. That said, I’ve also always had good luck with the Barnes in other rifles, too. These are recent groups with the Berger 156’s. A lot of startup costs if you don’t intend to get into reloading as a whole.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 7

maugh

FNG
Berger 156 and H1000 made a great combination in a friend's Waypoint 2020.

Haven’t bothered to load for it, but the only load my current 6.5 PRC will shoot worth a damn is the factory Berger 156 at 2905 fps average. It puts 5 into a half inch or so. Next best load is Norma Bondstrike 143’s at 2990 fps average and 5 into 1-1.5 moa.

Mine shoots 140 gr ballistic tips and accubonds fantastic. Im going with the ballistic tips as its only going to be used on deer for now. Might be worth a try in yours if you decide to reload. Every gun I've shot them in they are accurate and open up easy, causing a lot of damage.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk