Red Dot Piggyback a Fixed 6x or 10x?!? SWFA/FX3/S&B Klassik

Khaosoi

FNG
A number of years ago I got back into hunting equipped my self with a Tikka .308 and way over scoped it with a 5x25 viper pst 2 with the thought I'd 'grow into shooting long range'. Looking back, what a dumb! Should have got something more appropriate to my skill and terrain I hunt (woods / brush primarily). I am trying to remedy that now and take out a big chunk of that weight I've hauling around.

My thoughts are to run a fixed 6x and or 10x (depending on the hunt terrain/potential shot distance) and a red dot either on top as a 'piggyback' or canted 45deg the side for the close range shots.

Most of my hunting has been in woods so a 6x would be the ticket, but I would like to start into some more alpine hunts in the future so the 10x seems more viable there. But with the red dot, the set up could be more viable with a 10x for all the situations I'd likely be in?

I'd love to hear from some hunters with practical experience running a red dot with their scope, fixed or not.

There really only seems to be one real choice of brand with SWFA for a dependable tough scope with a good reticle in the fixed configuration. I just wish they were a bit lighter weight and the turrets were either more low profile or just capped. Also, how does one actually find a SWFA6x... unicorns.

I guess the other options are the Leupold FX3 or the S&B Klassic (the 8x does seem like a nice sweet spot, but $$) Both have a standard duplex which is less desirable but they do have lower/capped turrets which would be good for this application. The concerns I have been reading of leupold's quality drop in recent years is concerning other wise this might be the choice in terms of weight, but the reticle really holds me back there too compared to the swfa. Any one have experience with the FX3 concerning reliability and holding zero?

Any other options I should be considering?

Am I trying to be too cute here and should just go with a (L/M)PVO 3x9/2/10 or similar over the fixed?

Cheers, Nick

45 offset on the top rings is what you are after if you want offset dot and swfa 6x.

but honestly a good lpvo either a SFP 1-6 or 1-8 ffp has a lot going for it and price should be close to similar.

that said an swfa 3-9 hd and offset dot is even better. or don't even sweat the dot and go 3-9.

never had a fixed 6x move turrets. and i ain't easy on rigging.

as for leupold 6x.. been there done that. there's so much not to like. don't do it. if leupold actually built a version with mrad turrets and a decent reticle that'd be a start.