Recommendations on 300 wsm barrel

I'm in the market to upgrade my Tikka 300 wsm barrel and I've got some questions for folks. First, a little background. This gun will be used extensively for backpack hunting in the west so the lighter and shorter, the better. It will also be sporting a TBAC Ultra 7 can and sit on top of a XLR chassis. On to the questions.

1) Is the weight savings and/or performance of a carbon barrel worth it over, say, just buying a light Palma contour SS barrel?

2) I'm undecided between an 18" or 20" barrel. Right now, I'm pushing 200 gr eld-x's at 2858 fps from a 21" barrel. Assuming a loss of 25 fps/inch, an 18" barrel would push the 200 gr eld-x at ~2775-ish fps, which is more than adequate for elk under 500 yards (my general limit on shot distance on animals). Any reason not to go 18"?

3) What barrel twist rate would you all recommend. Most info I could find suggest a 1:10 barrel rates for pushing heavier bullets. Would this still hold true for a 18" or 20" barrel at 2800 fps?

4) Do folks have any recommendations on companies for buying pre-fit barrel's? I've read PVA and Proof are top tier for SS and carbon. Anyone have experience with unknownmunitions (Ace barrel's) or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Johnwell

FNG
I'm in the market to upgrade my Tikka 300 wsm barrel and I've got some questions for folks. First, a little background. This gun will be used extensively for backpack hunting in the west so the lighter and shorter, the better. It will also be sporting a TBAC Ultra 7 can and sit on top of a XLR chassis. On to the questions.

1) Is the weight savings and/or performance of a carbon barrel worth it over, say, just buying a light Palma contour SS barrel?

2) I'm undecided between an 18" or 20" barrel. Right now, I'm pushing 200 gr eld-x's at 2858 fps from a 21" barrel. Assuming a loss of 25 fps/inch, an 18" barrel would push the 200 gr eld-x at ~2775-ish fps, which is more than adequate for elk under 500 yards (my general limit on shot distance on animals). Any reason not to go 18"?

3) What barrel twist rate would you all recommend. Most info I could find suggest a 1:10 barrel rates for pushing heavier bullets. Would this still hold true for a 18" or 20" barrel at 2800 fps?

4) Do folks have any recommendations on companies for buying pre-fit barrel's? I've read PVA and Proof are top tier for SS and carbon. Anyone have experience with unknownmunitions (Ace barrel's) or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Just built a long action 300wsm; so I’ll share my thoughts.

1. I don’t think so. Especially on short barrels; I don’t see the ~1/2 pound difference being worth the extra cost.

2. Seems short (some might call it average sized) but I’m sure it’d be enough for the velocity you’re looking at. Make sure your can allows 300 mags at that short of a barrel length. My YHM says 20” min for 300 mags.

3. I like 1:9. I don’t see much reason to go slower than 1:9 or 1:10.

4. Can’t help you here; I have a lathe. Went with a Bartlein #4 at 25” but might chop it later.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Thanks in advance!
Is your current barrel actually shot out and/or too slow of a twist? Basically asking why you're changing the barrel vs shooting what you got (if its the same cartridge) even if that means you wan to chop it shorter and rethread it.

1) Carbon barrels over steel barrels in short lengths don't make sense imho, also why are you talking about a light palma contour vs a sporter? If you were getting a prefit PVA and PBB both make a profile that quickly tapers to 3/4" and then is straight after that so plenty of shoulder for threading 5/8-24. Even if you went sporter contour you can flare it out at the muzzle (either in profile or with a collar) to have sufficent shoulder with 5/8-24.

2) Check with your can manufacturer as noted.

3) Run a twist rate calculator and see what you think looks good for your anticipated bullet(s) and velocity. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

4) PVA and PPB are common for prefits among some others.

Depending on your answer to my first question there always is the option of buying a tikka 300wsm take off barrel and having it chopped and threaded if the twist rate is suitable. Newer barrels are 1:10.