Recommendations for guided moose hunt - looking for 70 inch moose

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I have been moose hunting, but been chasing other critters for 15-20 years. I am wanting to plan another guided moose hunt. I would really like to get a 70 inch moose, or something very close. I know everyone wants a 70 inch moose, but I truly believe that if you plan and get to the right areas your odds for better game improve dramatically.

If you have been on a great guided moose hunt anywhere that might satisfy my search requirements, I would love a PM and chance to talk. Thanks.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
That may be a good suggestion, but Russia makes a 50 inch moose look great lol.

medvedyt

WKR
I've seen ONE in 50 years of Alaska moose hunting........maybe two.
seen 2 over 15 years in the Yukon both once death ... one around dawson on the steward river killed by a local guy and 303 with no scope the other one close to earn lake around mcmillan area and it was shot by archery ... even in staying 2 months in the field in a row you wont even see a +60 so let alone a+70... good luck to the OP.

WMR

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity, would you pass a nice 60 incher on day one? No judgment here. It’s your dime and your fun.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Well those are some powerful words. And, what I need to hear. I have a friend that shot a 79 inch moose a few years ago. It is featured with WTA. He wanted an 80 inch moose and I thought that was insane to go after, but he got darn close.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity, would you pass a nice 60 incher on day one? No judgment here. It’s your dime and your fun.
Yes, I would. However, I understand it is really really difficult to judge animals. I am best at whitetails and I can be way wrong at times. I am normally within 3 inches either way, but not always. Back to your question, if we thought the moose was 65 inches on day one, then no I would not pass.

I have been blessed to go on a lot of quality hunts some guided, many as DIY. I am at the point in life where if I go home without an animal I am good so long as I have done my homework and no one has lied to me about the quality of the hunt.

Well those are some powerful words. And, what I need to hear. I have a friend that shot a 79 inch moose a few years ago. It is featured with WTA. He wanted an 80 inch moose and I thought that was insane to go after, but he got darn close.
I think you need to talk to your friend!

Genetics, prime habitat with favorable weather cycles, management for age class and access will all factor in to finding a unicorn.

Apparently they found a magical spot and got the moose so it’s most likely another can grow in the area.

BigTree

FNG
To your question though, I'd recommend either Renfroe's or Joe Schuster.
I can't speak to guided, but would second renfros for big moose. I'm not sure about the 70" plus, but between my father and I on a 10 day diy trip, we killed 60" and 65" bulls. They put a lot of hunters on the ground there every year, their favorite guided areas I think might get a little less pressure. There is an incredible amount of moose outside of bethel.

You could just as easily re-label the Sheep Clubs "<1% Club" to define those that have harvested a >70" moose. I don't have the exact statistics but it's an extremely small percentage. They are out there though. I am part of "the club" however the other 4 on my hunt never harvested a moose. I have known two hunters that have gone on the same hunt over the past several years and neither of them nor anybody that season had shot anything that big. Many also went home empty handed. Sure, an area with bigger moose and great management would be the focus to increase your odds, but it's never a guarantee. I would look at reported/scored harvests from SCI or other scoring groups to get an idea of trophy quality. Then do your homework on the outfitters to see what the best fit for you is. Good luck.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a hunt out of Cordova on the Copper River delta, Bering River, or the lost coast. The only guide I know in that area is Dennis Zadra at Lonesome Dove and I am not sure he guides moose.

If this was my passion, had the funds, and was willing to hunt this way, I would hire a guide to fly every day until a 70 incher is found, land nearby, and hunt him the next day. Otherwise it seems like a very low probability endeavor to go on a two week hunt, sit a knob, and find one.

Cky

FNG
I would call Wade Renfro. We used him in 2018 for a DIY trip and they had a couple +70" moose in there from guided hunters.

Cyril

FNG
I would call Wade Renfro. We used him in 2018 for a DIY trip and they had a couple +70" moose in there from guided hunters.
There was a cancellation hunt with Wade on WTA website for end of September this year as of yesterday. Unfortunately looking now, it appears to be gone.

Cyril

FNG
I saw that hunt with Wade. At $20,000 it was a bargain by today's standards.
Yep, there is atleast one transporter charging the same for a diy hunt. It was a very good deal with a great shot at 60" bull and possibly much larger.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Seen some giants come out of the Koyukuk and Huslia river drainages.
You need to be selective and pass up plenty of smaller moose and have the time to hunt. 3 days to get there, 3 days back. And add in 2 weeks of hunting.

IMO if you are hung up on a number it doesn't make a good start for any hunt.