Recommend a 308/6.5

BCD

WKR
I'm looking to get a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle will primarily be used for whitetails in WI, Antelope in Wy and potentially as a backup elk rifle as well. I was leaning towards Tikka but they don't offer a true short action so I will not be considering them. I would if they offered a short action, but the design of their safety is also terrible (need to take the gun off safe to unload). All that said this is what I'm looking for:

20-22 inch barrel
Synthetic Stock
Cerakote (although I could always have this done later)
Removable Magazine
6-7 lbs (bare rifle)
Under $1500 (rifle only although I would like to keep it closer to $1000)

Please let me know what you might suggest. I bought a Bergara WIlderness Ridge and it's a shooter but it weighs about 1.5 lbs more than it's listed weight of 7.4 lbs. I'm not sure if going with a lighter barrel might be an option with this one.

Thank You!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm looking to get a 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle will primarily be used for whitetails in WI, Antelope in Wy and potentially as a backup elk rifle as well. I was leaning towards Tikka but they don't offer a true short action so I will not be considering them.

That 3/8ths of an inch really kills it? A locking bolt is a much better thing for a field rifle than a non locking one. What harm does taking the safety off to unload a rifle cause? The Timney Tikka trigger allows the bolt to be lifted with the safety on.

In any case, the only competing rifle to the T3 is the Sauer 100, it has a 3 position safety.

sndmn11

WKR
That 3/8ths of an inch really kills it? A locking bolt is a much better thing for a field rifle than a non locking one. What harm does taking the safety off to unload a rifle cause? The Timney Tikka trigger allows the bolt to be lifted with the safety on.

In any case, the only competing rifle to the T3 is the Sauer 100, it has a 3 position safety.

Is that timney for Tikka still as reliable?

grfox92

WKR
How are you normally unloading a rifle that makes a Tikka more unsafe than another option?

To answer your question, I'd get a Howa if I didn't get a Tikka.
I have never understood people being un happy with the inability ro unload a rifle with the safety on. I've questioned it several times on here and no one has ever responded to it. For the life of my I can't thing of a single reason why I would need my safety on to unload a gun that is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction.

To the OP, Tikka or a Browning X Bolt would be my choice. Howas are nice but heavy.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would specify twist rate in there as well.

I avoided Tikka's for a long time in part due to due to long action only. Now I have a Tikka 223. I don't think it is enough to care about.

The 1:11 twist of a Tikka 308 is slower than I would like. So, from a twist perspective the 6.5 CM is better in a factory Tikka.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Also, if you like the Bergara, send it off the LRI and get the barrel fluted Pattern X, the $475 to do this is cheaper than a new barrel or a new rifle and it will be very unique.

MHWASH

WKR
The 1:11 twist of a Tikka 308 is slower than I would like. So, from a twist perspective the 6.5 CM is better in a factory Tikka.
Just how heavy of a bullet do you plan on using in the .308? I've used the 200 & 205 in the Tikka 300 WM & 300 wsm w/zero issues.

I am a huge fan of Steyr rifles. I have been hunting with the original Pro Hunter model in 7RM since 2007. I have other rifles but you will usually see me carrying the Steyr come game time.

They just released the newest rendition of the Pro Hunter. Steyr Pro Hunter III SX. They have 16" and 20" model in 308 and they are sub 7lbs.

They shoot extremely well. Have a 3 position safety, fire, safe, bolt lock. In my opinion they have the best DBM in the market. I enjoy their 2 stage trigger as well. The new SX stock is pretty nice for being synthetic and not carbon.

They are a really fine rifle that just doesn't have much traction over here in the states.

If your local FFL isn't a dealer they can easily become one. I asked my FFL to become a dealer because Steyr is liquidating out the Pro Hunter II and ProTHB models. I wanted a 20" 7mm-08 PHII so he ordered me one.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just how heavy of a bullet do you plan on using in the .308? I've used the 200 & 205 in the Tikka 300 WM & 300 wsm w/zero issues.
Nothing too heavy, and I may just be being foolish.

As interior Alaska is not too far from me, I have been playing with a 178 gr ELD-X in Applied Ballistics at low elevation and low temps (-40) and stability starts becoming borderline.

The 300 win mag has a 1:10 twist. The 300 WMS has a 1:11.

I can overthink walking down a hallway, so that might be my issue. Here is a link to my overthinking thread, I would appreciate more of your take, but don't want to derail the purpose of this thread.

MHWASH

WKR

As interior Alaska is not too far from me, I have been playing with a 178 gr ELD-X in Applied Ballistics at low elevation and low temps (-40) and stability starts becoming borderline.

I can overthink walking down a hallway, so that might be my issue. Here is a link to my overthinking thread, I would appreciate more of your take, but don't want to derail the purpose of this thread.

The older Win Mags had a 1/11 twist.
I do not have near enough experience to dive into the twist vs penetration discussion. Perhaps switch to the 165/168 BT to pick up some speed.

OP
B

BCD

WKR

Looks like the Sauer 100 has a 1:11 twist rate as well. Will this be an issue with 180 grain bullets?

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I have never understood people being un happy with the inability ro unload a rifle with the safety on. I've questioned it several times on here and no one has ever responded to it. For the life of my I can't thing of a single reason why I would need my safety on to unload a gun that is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction.

To the OP, Tikka or a Browning X Bolt would be my choice. Howas are nice but heavy.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I understand that the safety is not an issue to some but it is to me. One could argue that guns don't need a safety at all because people should just always point them in a safe direction, but stuff happens and the Tikka safety design is poor in my opinion. My kids shoot my guns as well and I won't own a pistol without a safety or a lever gun with only a hammer (no cross bolt safety).

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks like the Sauer 100 has a 1:11 twist rate as well. Will this be an issue with 180 grain bullets?
Probably not. Perhaps in extreme cold at sea level if shooting monos or high BC 180s. Sorry for bringing it up, I'm debating on if I want to spend money cutting and threading my Tikka, or get a new barrel and I'm wishing it was a 1:10.
I understand that the safety is not an issue to some but it is to me. One could argue that guns don't need a safety at all because people should just always point them in a safe direction, but stuff happens and the Tikka safety design is poor in my opinion. My kids shoot my guns as well and I won't own a pistol without a safety or a lever gun with only a hammer (no cross bolt safety).
Edit: the below is incorrect: end edit

The Tikka safety physically blocks the firing pin, which is why it locks the bolt. This is significantly safer than a safety that only blocks the trigger.

When unloading (or any time one is manipulating the action), the gun should consciously be pointed in a safe direction and one should consciously insure the trigger is clear. I would worry more about a gun that does not having a firing pin block with my kids as a dropped rifle is inherently out of ones control in the direction it points.

The safety on my Kimber has snagged brush resulting in an unsafe rifle. The Tikka safety is much less likely to have that happen and in my opinion is safer than the Kimber's 3 position safety in actual use.

Last edited: