Received the Vaccine today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does the vaccine make you immune from getting Covid?
All the studies I’ve seen show it being better than 90% effective at preventing COVID, and essentially 100% effective at reducing the severity of symptoms in those who are vaccinated with both doses. The only hitches are that it’s only about 50% effective after one dose, and it takes a couple weeks after each dose for the protection to kick in.

TLDR: yeah the vaccine will either make you immune, or prevent you from getting hospitalized-if you get both doses.

I just saw a study that also showed that vaccinated people are far less likely to spread the disease, so now maybe we can start shifting away from the whole “if you’re vaccinated you could still be a carrier” thing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Most of my extended family either works in healthcare or is old enough to be priority so they have all been vaccinated by now. No serious side effects for any of them. I’m getting the shot as soon as it becomes available to the general population where I’m at.
I have read that the SA variant does have a small mutation to its spike protein that will possibly reduce vaccine effectiveness, but even a reduced effectiveness vaccine is going to help prevent that variant from running rampant. The more people get vaccinated, the less chance the virus has to mutate further.
I don't think you understand how viruses work. We've had flu vaccines for 70 years and there's different mutations every year. Vaccines don't do anything to prevent mutations in viruses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The small % who have died represents ~470K Americans, almost the population of Atlanta and more than the US lost In WW2. But no big deal....
And no one has died from anything other than covid since this bullshit started either. No big deal, right? All other diseases went *poof* and became nonexistent once covid came on the scene.

I don't think you understand how viruses work. We've had flu vaccines for 70 years and there's different mutations every year. Vaccines don't do anything to prevent mutations in viruses.

I promise that I do know how viruses work. Vaccines don’t stop viruses from mutating, but they prevent people from being infected, which reduces the number of cases, which reduces the opportunities for the virus to mutate.

Mutations are uncommon, but there is a chance of them happening with any given replication. Most of the mutations don’t make the virus more dangerous or able to bypass a vaccinated immune system, but some of them will. Let’s say a mutation occurs once in every million cases (totally making up numbers here) and a mutated strain has a 1 in 100 chance of being sufficiently different to be able infect someone who is immune to the original strain. So you have a 1:100,000,000 chance of a dangerous mutation occurring. The more people you vaccinate, the less likely that advantageous mutation will occur because you’re rolling that 100,000,000-sided dice fewer times

BuzzH

WKR
And no one has died from anything other than covid since this bullshit started either. No big deal, right? All other diseases went *poof* and became nonexistent once covid came on the scene.

You have all the death certificates from the past year to prove your non-sense?

Talk about bullshit...read your own post.

MattB

WKR

Based on what I have read, contextually your last comment isn't really correct. Mutation occurs then viruses replicate incorrectly. Simply put, when a population is broadly vaccinated and there are fewer people who are hosts for virus replication, the potential for mutation is reduced.

As I read it explained, there is large variety of viruses which cause the flu and each year's vaccine is based on an educated guess as to which will be most prevalent. There there are only a few SARS-CoV-2 variants and the vaccine provides varying degrees of protection from all of them.

Edit: saw I was late to the party with my response.

MattB

WKR

I am not sure how you read that from my post, but that is clearly not the case. Perhaps that was just an attempt to deflect the point and interject a pet conspiracy theory?

sneaky

"DADDY"
No that's really not important to note. If you are color blind but die in a plane wreck, did it matter that you were color blind? If there was some consistency with what underlying conditions were affected, you might have a point. Do you know the percentage of americans with any type of underlying health condition?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I love how you tout that this thread has remained civil, then have the nerve to say that people question the vaccine out of ignorance. Which one is it? Backhanded snarks, keeping it civil? My brother has worked in this field for 30 years. We've had many discussions on vaccine and biologics development. He is cautiously optimistic, but still has his doubts. Quite a different approach from the "I've gotten my two shots and I'm bulletproof. Those who don't get vaccinated and die are Darwin award winners" crowd.

Based on what I have read, contextually your last comment isn't really correct. Mutation occurs then viruses replicate incorrectly. Simply put, when a population is broadly vaccinated and there are fewer people who are hosts for virus replication, the potential for mutation is reduced.

As I read it explained, there is large variety of viruses which cause the flu and each year's vaccine is based on an educated guess as to which will be most prevalent. There there are only a few SARS-CoV-2 variants and the vaccine provides varying degrees of protection from all of them.
Yeah the flu is a notoriously fast mutator as well, that’s pretty much it’s entire survival strategy. Current evidence suggests covid is a lot more stable- as evidenced by the fact that we basically have 3 (or four, maybe I’m forgetting one) variants after hundred of millions of cases: the OG, the UK, and the South African

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don’t think anyone here is calling people who aren’t getting vaccinated a dumba**, but it does feel like those of us in the fields of public health and healthcare are constantly seeing objectively false or misleading arguments being used on this site.
I get that this pandemic was politicized like crazy by both sides, but the healthcare experts have been property constant in their advice ever since last summer, it’s only the Media (and yes that includes both left- and right-wing media) distorts their message for more views.
You have the freedom to not take the vaccine, but if you choose that you need to have thick skin for when every expert in the medical field tells you that’s a poorly informed choice (if you know you already had the real thing then I see where you’re coming from, but many people speaking against the vaccine haven’t had it). If I started arguing with all the plumbers on here about the best way to install piping, I’m pretty sure most of the people on this forum would telll me to listen to the guys who know and stay in my lane.
Anyway I feel like the purpose of this thread is to get more anecdotal information on the vaccine, and not to derail it by talking about other measures taken to stop COVID such as shutdowns.
"healthcare experts have been property constant in their advice ever since last summer"

If Dr Fauci's advice was looked at like an OnX track, he'd still be 1/4 mile from the trailhead since he's backtracked so many times.

"healthcare experts have been property constant in their advice ever since last summer"

If Dr Fauci's advice was looked at like an OnX track, he'd still be 1/4 mile from the trailhead since he's backtracked so many times.

As I already said, I am more than willing to be proven wrong, but I haven’t seen the experts flip-flop on much after the first couple of months when we didn’t know anything. How many months of “wear masks and be socially distant” advice have we gotten since they first reversed course on that? It’s been a long time.
Anyway, on the current topic, do you have any issues with my explanation of how vaccines prevent new mutations from popping up?

MattB

WKR

I don't understand why some people are so hung up on shifting recommendations related to a new virus, especially those that occurred in the first months of the pandemic. The health experts are learning on the fly.

But to Ozarkansas's point, recommendations have been generally consistent for 8 months or more.

BuzzH

WKR
I don't understand why some people are so hung up on shifting recommendations related to a new virus, especially those that occurred in the first months of the pandemic. The health experts are learning on the fly.

But to Ozarkansas's point, recommendations have been generally consistent for 8 months or more.
Because it helps with a false narrative and agenda pushing...confirmation bias.

Shallow minds and shallow water both freeze first.

MattB

WKR
Because it helps with a false narrative and agenda pushing...confirmation bias.

Shallow minds and shallow water both freeze first.
Maybe Sneaky can provide specifics on Fuacci's inconsistencies since last summer and we can discuss? But probably not....

fwafwow

WKR
I love how you tout that this thread has remained civil, then have the nerve to say that people question the vaccine out of ignorance. Which one is it? Backhanded snarks, keeping it civil? My brother has worked in this field for 30 years. We've had many discussions on vaccine and biologics development. He is cautiously optimistic, but still has his doubts. Quite a different approach from the "I've gotten my two shots and I'm bulletproof. Those who don't get vaccinated and die are Darwin award winners" crowd.
I don't believe your "you" reference was to me, but FWIW, I, for one, have no problem with anyone questioning or not wanting to take the vaccine, but it certainly helps if those who do so provide some reason. If the reason is a "gut feel" or "I'd rather give it some time and see how things go" - fair enough.

If the reason is something like your post #224, then it is harder to respond (for me) because I don't know if you are saying "this bullshit" is how the government is reacting to the virus, or if "this bullshit" is the virus - and if by that you mean you doubt the virus is real. It makes it even harder to interpret when you (perhaps just as intended hyperbole) make a statement about no one dying from other causes. Sure, I bet some of the deaths attributed to Covid are incorrect, but I'm also willing to bet that some deaths attributed to cancer or heart disease were due to Covid. But people have died of Covid.

This isn't intended as a "gotcha" - I'm just trying to figure out whether some of the various periodic brief posts that are not related to the OP are potshot troll posts from members who really don't want a dialogue, and for those who do, I would like to try to understand someone else's views and reasons for same.

fwafwow

WKR
All the studies I’ve seen show it being better than 90% effective at preventing COVID, and essentially 100% effective at reducing the severity of symptoms in those who are vaccinated with both doses. The only hitches are that it’s only about 50% effective after one dose, and it takes a couple weeks after each dose for the protection to kick in.

TLDR: yeah the vaccine will either make you immune, or prevent you from getting hospitalized-if you get both doses.

I just saw a study that also showed that vaccinated people are far less likely to spread the disease, so now maybe we can start shifting away from the whole “if you’re vaccinated you could still be a carrier” thing.
Any chance you can post (or PM me) the links to the studies? I don't doubt they exist, I just have a relatively recent bent on reading that sort of stuff.

IdahoElk

WKR
I promise that I do know how viruses work. Vaccines don’t stop viruses from mutating, but they prevent people from being infected,

So why are people that have been vaccinated still required to wear masks and avoid gatherings?
The CDC site says they still don't know if the vaccine is 100% effective at protecting you from getting Covid.
This vaccine is being tested in real time on the public which is crazy, I think this is why some of the posters here are reluctant to jump in line to be vaccinated.
If the people being vaccinated are so confident in its effectiveness why such hostility towards those that have a wait and see attitude? they should have nothing to fear.

Reactions: lif
@fwafwow Here is one and Here is another. Just the first two I was able to find and pull up. One is on the Pfizer and the other is on the moderna.
@IdahoElk i think it’s because there still is a possibility that you could carry the virus in small amounts on/in you in ways that your immune system can’t attack it, such as in the mucus of your nose or on your skin. It seems like there is almost no risk for transmission there but they don’t want to say that until they have evidence to prove it, so for now they’re just saying they’re not certain it prevents transmission. I can’t say for 100% that I’m correct on that, but that’s my understanding of it. As far as hostility goes, any time something has been politicized to this degree, tempers are bound to flair. I see a lot of people getting attacked for raising legitimate questions about the vaccine that they just don’t understand, and a lot of those same people get extremely frustrated or defensive when the answers to their legitimate questions challenge their worldview or are too complex for them to understand. There’s people on both sides of the conversation who are just making it worse

Totally get ur point, feel the same. Got the vaccine as well, didn’t do it for myself as I have zero risk factors and supplement to ensure my immune system is given any advantage possible. I got it to prevent inadvertent spread. Unfortunately, even after the vaccine little will change for quite awhile. Even if you don’t get it you could easily carry Covid in ur nasal passages. We r stuck w masks and govt overreach for quite some time

Status
Not open for further replies.