Reasonable Priced 7mm PRC

Luked

WKR
Have been wanting to get something that has a little more ammo avalibility than my 300 WSM.
The 300 WSM wont be going anywhere as it was a gift from a friend and I have 2 one being a Super Grade gun.
I want something I can use from here at home for whitetail to out west for Elk.
With some reading here the 7mm PRC seems to fit the bill pretty well and with the popularity of it ammo avalibility is much better than my 300 WSM.

I know a lot og guys here are high end type people, Buy once cry once type.
Which I do understand. I just can not justify spending $3k-$4k on the rifle alone then have to scope it also. I already have a scope ready that is a Lupold VX6.

The gun I am leaning toward is a Browning XBolt.
I know the Tikkas Get rave reviews here but they dont offer the 7mmPRC yet.
If I was to go to 6.5PRC I would be going Tikka.

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions from you all that have more experience than me with this caliber and also with the Browning as well.

Odd1out

FNG
I dont like the xbolt ring mounting system. Seems quite unnecessary. They do shoot really good though. What about a ruger american?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Was jsut looking around online some and it looks like Bergara is also making the Wilderness series with the 7PRC and I really like the looks of the Wilderness HMR or the Ridge Carbon models

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Yea I guess the SPR is a new one for the Xbolt line. I am not sure I have any plans to supress one though.
I had thought about it though

Browning xbolts are nice rifles I’ve enjoyed both of the ones I’ve owned. Very accurate and the smoothest bolts I’ve ever felt. However if I wanted a new rifle because of ammo availability 7prc would not be my first choice.

TheViking

WKR
Buy a cheap Tikka and get an aftermarket barrel. It’s hard to beat a Tikka. You can do all of this for under $1500. Sell the factory barrel to get a few bucks back.

Preferred barrel, CarbonSix always have Black Friday deals.

That would be the route I went personally.

Last edited:
Xbolt would be a fine choice.

7 PRC is way overkill for predominately eastern whitetail hunting unless you're hunting more open terrain but if you want one gun to cover everything I can kind of understand it. But you said you've already got 2 300 WSMs so you'd have 3 rifles that are way overkill for most whitetail scenarios.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I know the 300 wsm is way overkill for whitetail. One of the reasons that I don't use them for that. The other reason is that ammo I almost non existent where 7prc is on the shelf at almost every large store I have been to.
And I do realize that the 7prc would be a bit overkill for whitetail also but that isn't really the main reason I am looking at the 7prc.
To me I plan to sped a hell of a lot more on this rifle than I ever have on any gun in my safe ans I want to have one that I can use from the west for elk or if I want to go to Alaska all the way to at home for deer

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

TheViking

WKR
I know the 300 wsm is way overkill for whitetail. One of the reasons that I don't use them for that. The other reason is that ammo I almost non existent where 7prc is on the shelf at almost every large store I have been to.
And I do realize that the 7prc would be a bit overkill for whitetail also but that isn't really the main reason I am looking at the 7prc.
To me I plan to sped a hell of a lot more on this rifle than I ever have on any gun in my safe ans I want to have one that I can use from the west for elk or if I want to go to Alaska all the way to at home for deer

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
ammoseek.com

A legit, vetted site. I have bought tons of ammo off of there. There's a pile of 300WSM availible.

(I am not affiliated with that site)

The Guide

WKR
ammoseek.com

A legit, vetted site. I have bought tons of ammo off of there. There's a pile of 300WSM availible.

(I am not affiliated with that site)
I use ammoseek.com for all of my ammo searches. Bought a case of 300WSM 200 ELDX last month for $375 with free shipping.

Jay

Buy a cheap Tikka and get an aftermarket barrel. It’s hard to beat a Tikka. You can do all of this for under $1500. Sell the factory barrel to get a few bucks back.

This

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider

This is what I did but ended up just over $1500. Tikka stainless donor, bartlein blank and gunsmithing put me closer to $1600. I’d take a bartlein barreled tikka over most any stock rifles in that price range within the tikkas cartridge length limitations anyway.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Or what about having load development done on your 300wsm? Then you just order more as you need it as you go.

Unckebob

WKR
Yea I guess the SPR is a new one for the Xbolt line. I am not sure I have any plans to supress one though.
I had thought about it though

Even if you don't plan to suppress it now, I would future proof my purchase.

LFC911

WKR
Savage Ultralight would probably be my first choice if you will be hiking with it.
I had the 6.5 PRC in the Savage UL and it was a tack driver. The biggest issue is the crappy stock, which you will regret and want to replace for another $500 to 1k. There are also not as many stock options for the Savage compared to a Rem 700 clone. I ended up selling it and bought the CA Ridgeline FFT. Very happy with the switch.