reading recommendations

Beendare

WKR
I like these threads....always something I haven't seen.
Heres a few you may not have seen;
Hunting; "They call me Hunter" story of a dog man in early Arizona hunting lions and bears...with his trusty mule Blue
"Alaska bear tales" just what you would expect,probably not the smartest to read on rain out days in your tent on Kodiak like I did though- grin
Anything by E. Donnel Thomas....great story teller, trad bow guy

So many good fiction but ones that stand out to me;
"Enders Game" recently a crummy movie
"Sometimes a great notion" Ken Keasy classic, great story of brothers in the logging business in the NW
"Kite Runner" a bit different but insights into other cultures
Another Vince Flynn fan.....

Eric S

FNG
Depends on what you like to read.

Faith of my Fathers by John McCain is a great read.
Lone Survivor.
American sniper (about Chris Kyle)

These 3 are probably my top favorites, if you like reading History/Political books I can give you quite a few more recomendations.

Also don't forget to utilize your library!

PS thanks Ryan for adding that book, I wasn't aware of it. I just added it to my list.

Lone survivor and american sniper are great books.... Buy them.

trdhunter

WKR
Lone survivor as mentioned many times. Crow Killer-about Jeremiah Johnson. Alaska Bear Tales. A beast the color of winter-about mountain goats. Rogue Warrior. These are some of my favorites.

LostArra

WKR
Boys in the Boat: Story of the 1936 gold medal winning Wa crew team. Kicked Hitlers butt. Written by the same guy who wrote Seabiscuit-great story.

Wolves in Salmon Country: Written by a tracker so pretty much agenda free while acknowledging the different user groups agenda's.

Sun Tzu at Gettysburg: Awesome read for military history buffs. Shows how Sun Tzu's Art of War predicted just about every battle in history.

The Dogs of War: Great book on military working dogs past to present

I want to thank BroodBuster for recommending Boys in the Boat by Derek James Brown. Terrific book.

(not the same author as Seabiscuit, Lauren Hillenbrand, but the writing was equally outstanding)

Dirtbag

WKR
As said before Lone Survivor and American Sniper are a must. Unbroken is good as well(about a downed WWII bomb crew). And one of my favorites if our interested in high altitude climbing, Buried in the Sky.

_Nick_

WKR
So many good fiction but ones that stand out to me;

"Sometimes a great notion" Ken Keasy classic, great story of brothers in the logging business in the NW

This is an excellent book. Great recommendation (I strongly second).

Greg Beck

WKR
Lone Survivor is great as has been mentioned. The Last Season is good to. Trauma by Dr James Cole is a favorite of mine. Lots of good books out there and for to many to mention in post here. I love to read so I could list for a while:cool:.

Blixen

Lil-Rokslider
"Last of the Breed" anyone? It's L'Amour but not typical L'Amour. It's been 20 years but I loved it.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
books by

lee child -
john sandford
david baldacci - puller, robie series

you can get most at library. good fiction/mystery.

ethan

WKR
Most of the books that came to mind when I first read this post have been mentioned. I will add one to the list, "Bows of the Little Delta" by Glenn St.Charles. There is a lot of archery history from the mid 1900's, and packed with tons of wilderness adventure thrown in.

robtattoo

WKR
'A Land Remembered' by Patrick D Smith

Any/all of the 'Ender' series by Orson Scott Card

'One With The Wilderness by Mike Mitten

Anything by Gene or Barry Wensel

'In Trace of TR (a Montana hunter's journey)' by Dan Aadland

'Avenger' by Frederick Forsyth

Anything by Robert Rankin

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We recently enjoyed listening to the audiobook version of "Frozen in Time" by Mitchell Zuckoff. An inspirational story about arctic survival on the Greenland Ice Cap during WWII.

I just finished Night of the Grizzlies by Jack Olsen. My buddy lent it to me and it ranks as one of my favorites. His dad actually is in the book which highlights two separate fatal grizzly bear attacks on the same night in August 1967. I give this two thumbs up.