Rant: Private security for FS road closure cannot speak english

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, you look like the jerk in this situation.
How was I a jerk? Asking politely about fire conditions? Expecting people hired to interact with the public to communicate in English? They were nice folks, probably from India or Pakistan, just shouldn't have been put into such a situation by their employer.

chanson_roland

Lil-Rokslider
How was I a jerk? Asking politely about fire conditions? Expecting people hired to interact with the public to communicate in English? They were nice folks, probably from India or Pakistan, just shouldn't have been put into such a situation by their employer.
You got lucky. I agree with a previous post that you could have stumbled on a cartel grow. Could have been like these guys....

Chances are good that if you are ranting on the internet about people just doing their job, then you are the jerk in the situation.

Go back up and read the original post - the English capability in that exchange is just not acceptable for anyone on the front-line of public service, interacting with the public in an ongoing emergency. It also, very clearly, does not sound like he was a jerk to the people he encountered. And, he's asking for "at least one" person on the ground to be able to speak English well - not even all of them. I've worked internationally a great deal and speak several foreign languages at greater or lesser degrees of street-level fluency, and there are simply some jobs you cannot safely do without better language skills. Interacting and communicating with the public as a representative of a government agency during an emergency is one of them.

Seems very courteous of FS and the fire response teams to have somebody posted there. They have obviously been having issues with people towards Deadwood and now have to burn resources to keep people from making stupid decisions. When I drove the highway on Sunday that was the only road I saw somebody posted at.

Instead of bitching and moaning how about we show some gratitude for those young men and women who have been working non-stop since late Spring.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thats hilarious. Do you guys realize how many guys sub out and make a few bucks during these fires? Lot more goin on than just cutting line........

Bout a month ago we went up to ride and learned there was a fire in half of the area. Guy posted up at that junction knew the fire was up there and the road was closed. He didnt need to know any more than that, and I doubt he wanted to.....We didnt push it, went and rode the side that was still open and had a good time
Oh yeah loads of subs, but they are typically contracted for food, felling trees, dozer bosses, rados, emts, ect. Never seen security subbed out they could do it I’m sure. Seems weird to toss non engrish speakers out there though? But with 20 million of them kicking around I guess if they will work for cheap plenty of companies will capitalize

Oh yeah loads of subs, but they are typically contracted for food, felling trees, dozer bosses, rados, emts, ect. Never seen security subbed out they could do it I’m sure. Seems weird to toss non engrish speakers out there though? But with 20 million of them kicking around I guess if they will work for cheap plenty of companies will capitalize

Everyone I have seen. Including white boys an girls were in their personal car. They had a vest an a radio but thats it. Pretty common around here.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Chances are good that if you are ranting on the internet about people just doing their job, then you are the jerk in the situation.
I think I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, if someone hired to communicate with the public in America doesn't know the English language, they are not doing their job. Not at all their fault in the case - it's the agency that hired them and put them in that position.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Seems very courteous of FS and the fire response teams to have somebody posted there. They have obviously been having issues with people towards Deadwood and now have to burn resources to keep people from making stupid decisions. When I drove the highway on Sunday that was the only road I saw somebody posted at.

Instead of bitching and moaning how about we show some gratitude for those young men and women who have been working non-stop since late Spring.
Nothing wrong with posting people at the intersection. If they were not there, lots of folks on dirt bikes would simply drive around the sign or cable, should one be installed. I'm just saying that people hired to communicate with the public should speak English.