Rangefinder options

Badseed

WKR
My tried and true Leica range masters fined died and now Im in search of a suitable replacement. These will be used for archery and rifle hunting so weight and size does play a role. I don’t have any complaints with the leicas but thought that maybe there was better option now. I have Maven binos and think the glass is great for the price. I have also had vortex binos and scopes some of which I had to send in for warranty and the glass seems acceptable but doesn’t stand out to me. Ive narrowed it down to three specific models that I am looking at:

Maven RF.1
Pros: Great warranty, glass, plenty of ranging distance, and the field/forrest mode seems useful.
Cons: bulky, not sure about the protruded wheel

Vortex HD4000
Pros: good glass, plenty of distance
Cons: bulky, mixed reviews on quality

Leica 2400-r
Pros: great glass, small, lightweight, simple
Cons: less distance (not a big deal for me), 24mm objective vs 25

Has anyone used all three to comment and the differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a vortex razor 4000GB and and had the maven rf1. So far impressed with the razor 4000GB. They feel like they are almost the same unit and both made in Philippines. I’m going to do more testing wish Maven had a ballistic RF

After having to send items to vortex for warranty I personally don't recommend them. I want my stuff to work day to day.

I went with leica. There's other threads here that seem to support leica as well.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
After having to send items to vortex for warranty I personally don't recommend them. I want my stuff to work day to day.

I went with leica. There's other threads here that seem to support leica as well.

Leica always seems to be winner when talking straight rangefinder without ballistics. The glass clarity, compactness and small diopter size are huge pluses. I guess it comes down to whether or not there is $200 difference between the leica 2400 and the other options.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Eurooptic had a deal too good to pass up so I bought a new CRF2400.

Leica has a brief pause in the readout between straight line and angle compensation. I wasn't a huge fan of the eye cup but I got used to it. Switched to the razor 4000 (non GB). It's a larger unit that fits better in my hands, I like the built in clip, I think I preferred the reticle on the leica a little more, but I like the instant readout on the angle comp.

Never had to deal with warranty issues on the leica but there are anecdotes out there about Leica possibly being more difficult to work with than vortex, but I take that with a grain of salt.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Leica has a brief pause in the readout between straight line and angle compensation. I wasn't a huge fan of the eye cup but I got used to it. Switched to the razor 4000 (non GB). It's a larger unit that fits better in my hands, I like the built in clip, I think I preferred the reticle on the leica a little more, but I like the instant readout on the angle comp.

Never had to deal with warranty issues on the leica but there are anecdotes out there about Leica possibly being more difficult to work with than vortex, but I take that with a grain of salt.

Ive read that you can “reprogram” the leica to only display EHR and not LOS.

Ive read that you can “reprogram” the leica to only display EHR and not LOS.

Not that im aware of but it's possible I may have missed that feature. When I researched that unit that's pretty much the only negative piece of feedback I could find on it.

If you are used to the Leica EHR delay, I think it's the winner.

After messing with the new CFR-R and 2400-R over the last month I'm pretty sure the "reprogram" info on this forum is BS. I'd like to be wrong, but even if you read the "reprogram" guide that was referenced, it mentions EHR will be displayed after LOS. According to an old S&S Archery review, Leica states this is for "safety".

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Well that would be lame. That seems like a simple programing feature that should be a requirement on all RFs. I guess I will have to check it out and see how frustrating it is.