Range the actual elk - best practice?

P Carter

WKR
I've been thinking through recent scenarios in my head. I always try to range landmarks (rocks, trees, etc.) during a setup, but never actually ranged an elk itself. That's caused me to miss on at least one occasion. How many folks here actually range an elk (archery!) before shooting? Landmarks? Just guess? I've been shooting 3D a bunch this year, which should help, but just trying to see what folks do. Thanks!

Beendare

WKR
OP, I can tell you this- having called elk to many clients and buddies over 3 decades of archery hunting;

A guy can wreck his only shot opportunity screwing around when he should be shooting. I've seen it many times.

You are always better off ranging a bunch of landmarks beforehand and committing them to memory than waiting until the last minute to range the bull himself. 1) the movement itself can give you away, 2) many times you only have a short window for the best shot opportunity...don't waste it ranging because you didn't plan ahead.

I've been calling for guys that told me, "I didn't have a shot"....and I can tell you they absolutely did have a shot...but squandered it.

I’ve ranged Elk lots of times, but I’ve also blown opportunities by ranging.
Range landmarks...and if the opportunity presents itself, range the Elk.
Also, having your rangefinder up high, like near collar bone high, helps with less movement because it’s closer to your face.

elkguide

WKR
Hey Mr. Elk. Hold it right there for just a minute while I get the exact range to shoot you please!

I'm with Beendare. I have had several clients who also tried to get a range after they had been told that the spruce tree was 33 yards and the downed log was at 44. And yes "they didn't have a shot!" I always try and range as soon as I set up. Usually an elk doesn't give you that much time and any extra movement is going to get an elk moving in the other direction fast.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve said it before - elk ain’t hard to kill, they’re just easy to miss.

Nerves, misjudged yardage, unseen branch.

But yeah, definitely range a stationary object before shooting

87TT

WKR
Range objects and practice ranging then moving before you shoot.

My bull from 2017, I wouldn’t have killed if I would have tried to range him. I had ranged a few bushes before he came by and was able to judge within a yard when I made my shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Better not risk it - I heard those HECS suit guys say my body is shooting electrical signals through space. If I point an electric device with a LAZER right at an elk he will surely feel it with his electrosensory organ and run into the next county.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm normally on the move with an arrow nocked ready to shoot when I finally see the bull, so it's usually close and rarely have time to range. Things happen fast as said, and you need to take advantage of the opportunity. I would imagine that if you have a decent caller then you could just sit back on a setup and wait for the bull to show. But I'm too impatient for that even if I did have a caller. Most of the heavy timber areas I hunt, you don't even have an option for a longer shot......but occasionally I'll find them in the open.

OP
P Carter

P Carter

WKR
Thanks to all, these responses are consistent with what I've experienced. Every once in awhile I get that thought in the back of my head: "What if I'm doing it all wrong, and people who kill elk every year always have an exact range?" Appreciate it!

ElkNut1

WKR
5 Miles, I hunt with my Son, we call for each other & put elk down yearly, rare is the case we range an elk before the shot, we range obstacles best we can prior to elk showing up but that's about it. You can do that as a lone hunter too.

Guys who get caught up 'In The Need To Range' will blow many encounters as bulls show up, this is especially so in timber country.

Most elk are taken 30 yards or less, no need to range that unless it's steep as a cow's face, then distance can be deceiving!

ElkNut/Paul

Scrappy

WKR
Are we discussing public land bulls or the Will Primos or Lee Lacosky ranch bulls. Cause as far as my limited experience says those are two very distinct different critters. When the bull stands there and let's you take your bow sling off and then range him that's not public land hunting. Wait until you have to contemplate if your arrow will clear your bow before hitting the bull then you know he is in range.

Btaylor

WKR
I like to periodically range stuff about every day. Walking around the office, going to the store, wherever I happen to be pick something call the distance and step it off. it helps that my normal stride matches my range finder at every distance I have checked out to 80. If I can range some landmarks great, but I never depend on that. I cant remember ever ranging a single animal prior to taking a shot. I have ranged animals that I wasnt going to shoot though to check my range call.

I was able to range one cow, in the open no less, once but i wasn't the shooter. It was a steep uphill. I ranged and was right behind shooter. Whispered the yardage to him. He missed. Compensated for the elevation but not enough and shot high I actually stopped her with a grunt, which was suprising.

All other opportunities were pre ranging objects. Hasn't helped. Been at full draw several times, all under 30 yards and still no shot.

When I was shooting a lot of 3d I would constantly walk around ranging things and pacing them off. I am terrible at estimating so have to practice a lot.

GregB

WKR
I like to periodically range stuff about every day. Walking around the office, going to the store, wherever I happen to be pick something call the distance and step it off. it helps that my normal stride matches my range finder at every distance I have checked out to 80. If I can range some landmarks great, but I never depend on that. I cant remember ever ranging a single animal prior to taking a shot. I have ranged animals that I wasnt going to shoot though to check my range call.
Same here, last year I had a bull coming in and my range finder wouldn't work so I had to estimate the range where he came out. Measured it later and I was within 2 or 3 yards.

Beendare

WKR
Since we are all in agreement..../grin

Yeah its a hunting skill; Guestimating range, knowing when to range, etc. ....just like splitting pins, shooting from different body positions, holding form up and down hills etc.

The guys that just stand on flat ground dumping arrow after arrow at known yardages; 20,30,40 are going to be handicapped in a fluid hunting situation.

Practicing one arrow at unknown distances teaches you; its not the 'being off by 3 yards on your range' that screws you....but the discombobulation at the moment of truth of too many things going through your head...becuase then you're shot sequence suffers.

The experienced hunters and 3D guys know this; Just pick a spot and concentrate on making a good shot.....a few yards isn't going to matter in most elk situations....