Ramblings of a moron/guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deadfall better explained his stance on rifle caliber later on. While that could have been explained better in the beginning it’s not a reason to get hung up on it ignoring some solid advice (that also applies diy).

Let’s get back to the bigger topic here, being better prepared overall for your hunt.

Rich M

WKR
So you marvel at being told you have a small mind. You were not involved in the thread at that point so sounds like the small mind comment you made could be an admission of guilt on your part.

The oddity of it all with you is that I agree with 99% of what you say here.

The other comments that were aimed at ridiculing the OP were certainly not full of intellectual forethought. Why is is so difficult to disagree or debate and not make yourself sounds like a jerk? If all one can do is argue and provide disparaging comments then they are indeed of small mind.

Also you are 100% correct-in my opinion-in that there are DIY guys here that are more skilled than many guides or outfitters. I know a few of those guys from Rokslide and their skills in the mountains are likely far greater than mine ever will be-you are likely in that group. I don't see those guys trying to tear others down though.

As far as me saying anything about a 6.5 anywhatchamaycallit not being enough-I have no idea how you gleaned that from my post. A 6.5 isn't enough for me, but perhaps it is just me compensating :)
We’re not all that diff. Have diff standards, that’s all it really comes down to. We envision diff stuff when someone says innshaoe, shoots good, etc.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Id like to hear what ranges your incompetent hunters are shooting elk with 308 in the shoulder and not dying? Must be 500yds plus.

I agree with you 100% but 300wm is not my pick for beginners. People are getting soft is the just of what I get from your post.
It varies. 260 yards this year. As mentioned earlier, Bullet selection plays a big roll. Which is also part of being proficient with weapon.

Won't comment on the soft stuff. I would say unprepared.

So you marvel at being told you have a small mind. You were not involved in the thread at that point so sounds like the small mind comment you made could be an admission of guilt on your part.

The oddity of it all with you is that I agree with 99% of what you say here.

The other comments that were aimed at ridiculing the OP were certainly not full of intellectual forethought. Why is is so difficult to disagree or debate and not make yourself sounds like a jerk? If all one can do is argue and provide disparaging comments then they are indeed of small mind.

Also you are 100% correct-in my opinion-in that there are DIY guys here that are more skilled than many guides or outfitters. I know a few of those guys from Rokslide and their skills in the mountains are likely far greater than mine ever will be-you are likely in that group. I don't see those guys trying to tear others down though.

As far as me saying anything about a 6.5 anywhatchamaycallit not being enough-I have no idea how you gleaned that from my post. A 6.5 isn't enough for me, but perhaps it is just me compensating :)
Are you being serious? You suggest ridiculing another in response isn’t necessary, after acting like a horses rearend earlier in the thread doing just that. My goodness man. Ironic doesn’t even begin to describe your actions.

FWIW, I don’t have an issue with much the OP said. Other than a 308 not being enough gun at 300 yards. I take no offense to any of it. But, I reload and shoot a lot. So, I’m not dumb enough to believe that the advice of a bigger gun for an unprepared client as being a valid option.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
WV Mountaineer

So am I serious? Yes and no-part of this was humor but part was a form of self defense. Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean I won't clap back at someone when they go at me. As far as me and Rich M-we are good as far as I know. The first part of the post-which I assume is where you are referring to me being a horses rear end- was purely tongue in cheek.

There is a difference in provoked vs unprovoked comments.-at least there is to me. This might be one of those times where the intended message was not perceived (by you) as intended.

How about we let this thread go back to the original thought. If you have a problem with what I posted you are welcome to send me a PM to discuss off thread or report me to the powers that be.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Dear Deadfall,

Client's hunt, client's money. If it doesn't affect them or bother them, it shouldn't affect or bother you either.

As for the .300 WM being a must for elk or moose (since that's about the only thing bigger), nothing could be further from the truth.

Sincerely,

Someone who does what he feels like doing
A guide books hunts on the previous season(s) success. So it does affect them

Why chance hitting a bull in shoulder at 300 yards with a .308 and not finding it? When the 300 WM. Would have dropped him.
Are you saying a 308 won’t penetrate the shoulder of a bull elk at 300 yards? Your magnum requirement is ridiculous. People would kill way more elk shooting a 223 or a 6mm creedmoor instead of a 300 magnum.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you saying a 308 won’t penetrate the shoulder of a bull elk at 300 yards? Your magnum requirement is ridiculous. People would kill way more elk shooting a 223 or a 6mm creedmoor instead of a 300 magnum.
Since folks are responding without reading the entire thread and arguing back & forth this is getting a lock down.

Status
Not open for further replies.