Ramblings of a moron/guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadfall

WKR
Another year come and gone. Some observations for those looking at guided hunts in the future.

BE in the best possible shape you can be in!
It boggles my mind that guys spend several thousand dollars on a hunt then show up and can't walk 1/2 mile. Or shoot 300 yards (accurately)

BE proficient with your weapon!
Knocking the dust off a rifle 2 weeks before your hunt and pounding half box of shells through at 100 yards is not being proficient.

All outfitters I've heard of, harp on 2 things. Being in shape and being proficient with weapon.

If hunting western big game isn't tough enough, neglecting these 2 things almost guarantees a no harvest.

Most issues I see are with shooting fundamentals.
Buy a 22 that is inexpensive and practice shooting from prone, kneeling, off hand and some version of shooting off a tree branch. Guides are not packing a shooting bench and lead sled around mountains.

Being in decent shape does not mean being a marathon runner. However, you should realistically be able to travel from a horse....300 yards up a hill to sit....

The more out of shape you are the further you need to be able to shoot. Opposite of that. Better shape shoot less far.....However, being both is optimal.

It's very frustrating when guys show up with a borrowed rifle they have NEVER shot. Refuse to shoot it before climbing on a horse...SMH...

It's getting a bit worse every year.....

Most hunts around the country are booked 2 years in advance if not longer.

Don't show up for a elk (or bigger game) hunt with a rifle smaller then 300 win mag. Especially if it's your first time hunting something in that size class, in rough terrain at altitudes you are nor use too.

Will smaller calibers do the job...Absolutely. Mountains wind people that are not use to it. The adrelin, fatigue and frustration is not anything you can replicate outside the mountains.
Why chance hitting a bull in shoulder at 300 yards with a .308 and not finding it? When the 300 WM. Would have dropped him.

If you have to ask if your rifle is big enough.....It is not...lol...

I was just reading Mile High Outfitters webpage out of curiosity because someone recommended them for the Frank. They echo a lot of your observations in a very direct, and humorous to me style. I appreciate that.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I mean….if he is a guide he probably sees more elk killed in a year than most guys kill in a lifetime. I know we have our own self proclaimed rokslide experts but guides are in a unique position to see it all, from the newbie to the expert.

For the record i elk hunt with a 7saum and target bullets! But sometimes I identify as a self proclaimed rokslide expert so it’s ok 😉

Last edited:
Dear Deadfall,

Client's hunt, client's money. If it doesn't affect them or bother them, it shouldn't affect or bother you either.

As for the .300 WM being a must for elk or moose (since that's about the only thing bigger), nothing could be further from the truth.

Sincerely,

Someone who does what he feels like doing

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny-those of you trying to crap on the OP's post would feel pretty much the same way if you were a guide also.

You guys read a few lines then formulate your macho man response. Ever think his recommendations might not be aimed at you but at the same hunters you would be dismissive of hunting in your camp? The difference he has to tolerate these "hunters" as it's his job. Those of you that simply walk away from the weekend warriors would be whiners if you had to be their guide day in day out.

So his ideas of being in shape, proficient with your weapon and using the biggest caliber you can shoot well are bad ideas??

Some small minds at work here.

Erict

WKR
I have expectations of my guide and they are free to have expectations of me.

If the guide expects a 300 WM as a minimum then it should be in the written contract.

If the guide expects proficiency at 300 yards then it should be in the written contract and the "shooting test" performed upon arrival.

I have a friend who insists on bringing his 300 WM for mule deer. We went to the range before our hunt and I recorded his face during his shots. He flinches every time because the recoil is simply too much for him. As a result, he only fires a few rounds and calls it good. He is 10x better with his 308, but convinced that it's not enough gun.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Not every thread and post is directed at "you" personally. Nor is every post an open invite for correction, criticism, and or argument.

For many, the OP's message is solid advice, especially if they are inexperienced. The elite world class elk killers here need not be offended, because, well its unbecoming of your stature.

Dear Deadfall,

Client's hunt, client's money. If it doesn't affect them or bother them, it shouldn't affect or bother you either.

As for the .300 WM being a must for elk or moose (since that's about the only thing bigger), nothing could be further from the truth.

Sincerely,

Someone who does what he feels like doing
I imagine the reason he brings up clients being in moderate physical shape and having a little bit of shooting skill, is because at the end of the trip most will put a lack of success on him.

Love how all you small caliber hippies get your undies wadded up every time someone mentions a big caliber. Then you got the “I kill with a red Ryder just fine” crowd. Great, go start your own thread on your accomplishments. OP listing some things that we all hear from multiple guides every season. All you ladies that bitch and moan about it aren’t guides, so what’s your place to start criticizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.