Rain gear or puffy??

Clesh92

FNG
Trying to decide between getting a good set of rain gear or puffy pants and jacket. I don’t have either one and trying to figure out what would be more versatile. December in West Virginia can literally be anywhere between the teens and 70s, and snow/rain can be as undecided as the temperatures. I’ve read on a lot of different posts where people will use the rain gear as an outer shell when temps drop, does it really make that much of a difference with warmth? I know it’ll break the wind but will it keep you “warmer”? Perfect scenario I’d get both but can’t right now.

Drenalin

WKR
It makes a difference. Besides keeping wind off you, rain gear in my experience - if it's actually waterproof - doesn't breath, so it helps trap air inside. That said, I'd personally lean toward a good insulation layer and a cheaper shell. What's your budget so folks can recommend specific items that fit inside it?

Mark.c

FNG
I would first spend my money on a good hard shell jacket and pants. More versatile for layering. It also acts as a wind blocker. There are plenty of hard shells that are made out of quiet material. The puffy jacket and pants are great for static activity like glassing and sitting in a stand but IMO less versatile.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
It makes a difference. Besides keeping wind off you, rain gear in my experience - if it's actually waterproof - doesn't breath, so it helps trap air inside. That said, I'd personally lean toward a good insulation layer and a cheaper shell. What's your budget so folks can recommend specific items that fit inside it?
Around $500 is the budget. I’ve completely redone my clothing this year, tried to focus on layers that work together so I can eliminate a bunch of random stuff that doesn’t work. I have the traverse pants, peloton 97 zip off bottoms, kiln 250 zip off bottoms for the bottom and a base layer, lighter mid weight quarter zip and barrier jacket from nomad for the top. And a light weight jacket from cabelas that I’ve had for years that is a killer windbreaker but it fits in my system as an insulating layer under the barrier jacket.

I lust after warm and lightweight insulation pieces, and I'd wear a trash bag if it meant I could have the former. But, you live somewhere that is unlike where most folks here live.

Annual%20Mean%20Total%20Precipitation.png

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
I would first spend my money on a good hard shell jacket and pants. More versatile for layering. It also acts as a wind blocker. There are plenty of hard shells that are made out of quiet material. The puffy jacket and pants are great for static activity like glassing and sitting in a stand but IMO less versatile.
That was my thought on the versatility side of it honestly.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
I lust after warm and lightweight insulation pieces, and I'd wear a trash bag if it meant I could have the former. But, you live somewhere that is unlike where most folks here live.

Annual%20Mean%20Total%20Precipitation.png
Yea it’s literally all over the place. So I can’t just bank on one or the other or one set up.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
I would go with a good shell and then hit ebay and classifieds for used insulated top/bottom.

I’m waiting to hit my post limit to check out the classifieds on here.

Go with whichever one you will use the most. How physically active are you when it is raining? Rain jackets are nice for blocking wind too but they can suck when busting through nasty brush (prone to tear).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Clesh92 I moved this thread from the general forum and deleted the one you had in clothing since it only had one reply which I’m posting a screenshot of here for ya. B47D720F-8ABD-4DAE-98CD-22FF32E9425F.jpeg

I’d spring for a good puffy system first and avoid the rainy days the best you can or pack a cheaper rain jacket or poncho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about where you are, but sounds like August/September here. With a $500 budget, I would get a set of impertech tops and bottoms and focus on the insulation. Do something like the REI puffy jacket and then a good set of puffy pants (MH makes a good pant for $100). Probably have a couple hundred leftover. My brother came up to hunt sheep a couple years ago and I bought him exactly what I just listed for around $250. He still uses all that gear even though he could easily afford to "upgrade". I don't have any use for a hard shell type jacket that isn't specifically a rain jacket when backpack hunting unless it will 100% be below freezing the whole trip.

Good hunting gear doesn't cost as much as what everyone tries to make it out to be.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
I’d spring for a good puffy system first and avoid the rainy days the best you can or pack a cheaper rain jacket or poncho.

I was leaning that way also. I think puffy gear would get a lot more use the way I hunt. But didn’t know if one was more beneficial than the other

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG

Yea I avoid it when I can, but also don’t want rain to stop me. I have a small umbrella that screws into a tree if I get caught out in it. My main though was like if it’s gonna be raining first thing in the morning, I could still hit the woods with the rain gear.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
Go with whichever one you will use the most. How physically active are you when it is raining? Rain jackets are nice for blocking wind too but they can suck when busting through nasty brush (prone to tear).
I think the puffy gear would get used more the way I hunt, plus I have a small umbrella that screws into a tree.

Army poncho can work well.
Works well as a small tarp to, so it's a great bit of kit to have in the pack to cover a few needs.

yfarm

WKR
Bought a Level 4 acu soft shell and an ebbie bauer 850 fill down jacket off ebay total of $80, weighs nothing, good to below zero. For your climate quality rain gear first.

I was leaning that way also. I think puffy gear would get a lot more use the way I hunt. But didn’t know if one was more beneficial than the other
Check out the black ovis puffy jacket and pants. I agree with the impertech raingear. You should be able to pick all of that up in your budget.