Rain Gear in October - Idaho Backpack Elk Hunt

pugwylde

FNG
I know the title is awfully specific, or maybe not specific enough, but I'm debating about carrying rain gear for an upcoming elk hunt in late October in central Idaho. It's one of the few pieces of gear that is not multi purpose, and the value is really only expressed when you need it.

For those of that do carry rain gear on camp-on-your-back type hunts, what do you carry and how do you justify the weight? For those that don't, how do you deal with inclement weather?

On a related note, what does your rain gear weigh? My full set is just shy of 2lbs, which feels like a steep penalty for a piece of gear I might never use.

TaperPin

WKR
The last two days in northern CA and NV had a small front go through with record breaking cold temps, snow above 8k’, frost in parts of Reno, and at least one day with a lot of sleet. That’s why I pack rain pants and a gortex shell everywhere in the Rocky Mountains, all summer and fall. The weather isn’t bad, until it is. I could have hunted through the past two days, but that wouldn’t be possible without rain gear.

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
I would point you toward the Exo mountain gear Experience Project podcast.

On various episodes they cover rain gear for Idaho (Rocky Mountain west) vs Alaska (foul weather places) and things to think through. They are currently doing a rain gear review with 4 sets of lightish weight rain gear. I think the review will be out later this fall. So maybe not in time for your hunt.

Rain gear in my opinion is a non negotiable pack item. If you get wet in October, things could go south quickly. I use rain gear to keep me in the field when hunting. If you prefer staying in the tent or huddling under a tree, you might be ok. Still at 2 pounds it is a no brainer for me. Rain gear does work well for wind protection too In some cases. Or in worse case an injury where you can't move to a drier spot.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think the idea of not carrying rain gear requires a pretty heavy caveat on terrain, elevation, and distance from vehicle. A true backpack style hunt is not a great idea without it in October generally. The lows can get freezing, snow could happen, and throwing wind in could really put you in a tough spot. Flip side is fires can help a ton. So I would take a real hard look at what’s possible where you’re hunting. “I will just hike out” is not universally applicable. One soaked hike across 8k elevation in wind and snow showed me just how quickly and bad it can get……

I do carry it a lot, and my jacket right now weighs exactly a lb. I’ll cut the pants out depending on forecast and severity of the hunt, but those add another lb+ so similar in weight to what you’re saying. Most of the time rain gear comes and it doesn’t get used a ton. A more “ultralight” set that’s less robust would help me cut pack weight for sure.

Poser

WKR
I always carry a rain jacket of some type when out in the mountains, may be a heavier 3ply or lighter 2 ply depending on conditions. That being said, I've had plenty of October rifle seasons where I did not put one on. As a result, I'll usually carry a 2 ply since I should only be dealing with snow at the elevations I'm hunting in CO. I have never carried rain pants in October, seldom carry them when backpacking, but this could vary depending on region, elevation and specific conditions. Gaiters almost always go with me since morning dew, at a minimum, can present some moisture to contend with.

My heavier rain jacket is 17 oz. Lighter one is 10.5 oz. Both work well, but the 3 ply will hold up against moisture in actual rain for longer especially if brush busting. The 2 ply is plenty of lighter to moderate rain and dealing with snow. Dries faster, too.

TaperPin

WKR
October snow doesn’t kill nearly as many people as cold rain and sleet. When my nephew talks about getting gear together for hunting I suggest he spend a day hiking in rain/sleet with his hunting pack and clothes before the season. I can hear him saying it now, “That would be dumb - I don’t carry rain gear.” Yes that would be dumb.

Last edited:
OP
P

pugwylde

FNG
Appreciate the input! I've made big strides towards reducing my pack weight this year, but I'm wary of overcorrecting. I think I might eat the weight of my rain jacket, but not sure about the pants.

TaperPin

WKR
Appreciate the input! I've made big strides towards reducing my pack weight this year, but I'm wary of overcorrecting. I think I might eat the weight of my rain jacket, but not sure about the pants.
Just two weeks ago when the cold weather went through, a guy in Colorado hiking with some friends was much slower and had them go ahead - he got turned around and never showed up at the trailhead that night. Search and rescue couldn’t fly or see much on the ground because of the weather so it wasn’t until after a long cold night of rain/sleet and freezing temps that they located him. Every year a new story pops up where life threatening temps and conditions can happen almost anytime of the summer or fall. :)

Seeknelk

WKR
I'll pretty much always AT LEAST pack a rain coat. I have a kuiu ultra that's not made anymore and weighs 7oz, wish they still made it, its held up wayyyyy better than it should have. And I always have a down puffy coat. Think about what happens if that puffy gets soaked in icy rain, sleet and it then the temp drops below freezing.

Again, it depends somewhat on how "back country" will you actually be. Can you bomb out in an hour or 3 and build big fires if needed? But rain gear is also a great wind breaker when your not hiking hard or just glassing etc.

SloppyJ

WKR
I've been mulling over new rain gear for over a year. I just ordered the Kuiu Katana set and am very excited about it showing up. There's nothing worse than wetting out some "rain gear" and I hope this solves it.

I will pay the penalty on weight for the added durability of the set and the fact that it can be a make or break item if you need it.

OP
P

pugwylde

FNG
I'll pretty much always AT LEAST pack a rain coat. I have a kuiu ultra that's not made anymore and weighs 7oz, wish they still made it, its held up wayyyyy better than it should have. And I always have a down puffy coat. Think about what happens if that puffy gets soaked in icy rain, sleet and it then the temp drops below freezing.

Again, it depends somewhat on how "back country" will you actually be. Can you bomb out in an hour or 3 and build big fires if needed? But rain gear is also a great wind breaker when your not hiking hard or just glassing etc.
I suppose it is worth mentioning that I'm carrying a puffy jacket and pants, for glassing and to augment my sleep system. I also wear a Sitka Mountain Evo Jacket for a wind layer. I rocked that over an Ambient UL Hoody in January in driving snow and it performed flawlessly.

I'm starting to think that is why they discontinued the Evo. It's too niche for most people, but if you fit the niche, it makes you think the other stuff they sell isn't necessary.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I carry mine anytime I'm on the mountain. Last year, first week of September mule deer hunt, the wind was roaring terribly all night my first night (like 50-70mph guess outflow winds from Sangre De Cristo mountains) so the next morning the temps were way colder than I expected when I went to bed with temps in the 80s. I realized I forgot my shell but I was sure glad I had my rain gear to break the morning wind which was still pushing 30 mph. I inherited my dad's old Harley rain gear after he passed away so I might look a little funny in the mountains but I'll be warm and dry as he had bought the best gear Harley had, Goretex paclight jacket and pants which I think the whole set is around 1lb or so. I don't ride so I put it to use hunting. It's my emergency blanket kind of gear.

Sinistram

FNG
At the risk of getting shelled here, are Frogg Toggs a solid backup option? They're inexpensive and pack down to and weigh almost nothing.

October snow doesn’t kill nearly as many people as cold rain and sleet. When my nephew talks about getting gear together for hunting I suggest he spend a day hiking in rain/sleet with his hunting pack and clothes before the season. I can hear him saying it now, “That would be dumb - I don’t carry rain gear.” Yes that would be dumb.
Without experience, it's hard for some people to get 'it'. But it's better to learn that lesson on a quick hike than days deep in remote wilderness.