Quitting Alcohol

LFC911

WKR
I know there is another tread on Low T but if you need another reason to quit drinking here it is...just for context I'm 55, 5' 10" with a starting weight of 260+, current weight of 240 and dropping. Above average amount of cardio in the last 2 months getting ready for elk season...i.e. running 2-3 miles 5x per week. Below are my T results from May 15, June 14 and August 8th. Stopped drinking (6-8 beers night) on June 6/8 and increased T just over 200 pts.

T 5.15.23.JPG
T 6.14.23.JPG

T 8.8.23.JPG

maya

FNG
Approaching 4 years sober myself. Didn't like being controlled by something & feeling like a helpless bitch. No judgement on others but that was my self talk. So I stepped up & took control. Within 6 months the desire was gone. Just lifted right off of me. It was a mental shift. Instead of feeling like I was giving something up, I realized all that alcohol was taking from me. I had to WANT to quit, not just feel like I should. Got no problem being around it now. Don't miss it. Not tempted. Never going back.

Billinsd

WKR
I've ruined my esophagus with acid reflux that I mostly blame on overeating and drinking before bed. Now I must stop completely for the sake of my esophagus. I need to stop drinking coffee and caffeine too, which is harder. Lucky I never smoked...

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Just checking in. I went the month of May dry, then fell off the wagon for a couple weeks in June, and have been dry again for over two months now. It's been a very positive change and I intend to keep it up for the foreseeable future. Thanks to all who have posted and good luck to everyone trying to cut back, quit, or stay sober.

Lock

FNG
Ive been quit for going on 5 years, would be reasonably drunk pretty much nightly. For me the biggest benefit is not being sick every morning; mentally less fog but to be blatantly honest I really need to deal with mental issues. The drinking was just a bandage so I don't feel quitting really helped me that much.

I started this journey earlier this year, after following the thread since the inception. The Huberman podcast is what really drove the point across. Since then, I have listened to almost all of the Huberman podcasts. There are so many things that make sense now. We get in this rut of fast pace, horrible diets, poor (if any) physical activity. Alcohol exacerbates every aspect of it. It is eye opening to me how much better I feel, mentally and physically.

Kilboars

WKR
I started this journey earlier this year, after following the thread since the inception. The Huberman podcast is what really drove the point across. Since then, I have listened to almost all of the Huberman podcasts. There are so many things that make sense now. We get in this rut of fast pace, horrible diets, poor (if any) physical activity. Alcohol exacerbates every aspect of it. It is eye opening to me how much better I feel, mentally and physically.

Agreed.

Alcohol like so many things is all about marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Birthday was a few weeks ago. Had the urge bad with all my friends around drinking. Opted for the athletic na and it worked pretty good. Cut the grass last week and drank one after. I love the taste but never liked the hang overs. Don’t think I would make it a daily habit with the na but for parties or get together it makes me feel like I’m still drinking. Silly I know, but it’s better than hitting the sauce again!

Sierra Nevada’s hop water is pretty good too. I like the Athletics Lites too but miss the bitterness of some beers.
My FIL has been my drinking buddy for twenty years. I had some hop water in my beer fridge in the shop, he decided to try one. He took one sip and spit it right back out and gave me the "wtf" is this garbage?:ROFLMAO: It's not bad in small doses.

Reactions: Duh
I swear if you put a pinch of salt in the corona NA it tastes just like the real thing. Lately I’ve been a busch NA guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh

WKR
My FIL has been my drinking buddy for twenty years. I had some hop water in my beer fridge in the shop, he decided to try one. He took one sip and spit it right back out and gave me the "wtf" is this garbage?:ROFLMAO: It's not bad in small doses.
It’ll grow in him. Or maybe my taste buds are gone from years of abuse haha

hunt1up

WKR
This coming Saturday will be a year for me. I'm easily in the best physical and mental shape of my adult life since quitting. I still stand by it being the best decision of my life.

Satuday is opening day for NM antelope and my kids have tags. We're heading that way tomorrow. So that'll be a great way to cap off a really good year and start another.

Wolf13

FNG
Slowed down a lot two years ago when I noticed I made a habit of drinking a beer after work 3 days a week for the previous year. Then cut back on the weekends just because. Recently got some blood work done and some things are out of wack with my liver (not alcohol related). Doctor said to cut back to just about zero which is fine because about two months before the bloodwork I was down to 3-4 drinks a month without even realizing it.

Not sure what to do with the collection I have. Had a life time supply BEFORE cutting back, and now it’s probably about 6 lifetimes worth. I enjoy different flavors so would buy bourbon/scotch/rum take one small sip and into the back of the cabinet it went. Same with beer. Have quite a few beers that are sippers rather than chug worthy.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I gave most of mine away and throw the remainder out when I quit. I also had to quit hanging out with some of my friends, especially the ones that were saying “Ed, you don’t have a drinking problem”. I remained friends but initially I had to stop hanging out with them.

Last edited: