Quitting Alcohol

schmalzy

WKR
Awesome job! As for the vacation and not drinking, I too was worried about "missing out" during all the usual drinking events...deer camp, work trade shows, vacations. I've found that just having something in my hand makes a huge difference. Be it an NA beer, sparkling water in a glass, anything to just occupy my old drinking hand. It's a similar oral fixation to smoking I'd say. Once I've settled into the situation I've concluded that it doesn't really feel any different whatsoever.

Today is my daughter's 12th birtday and also 5 months sober for me. It has been one of, if not the best decision of my life. I haven't been able to come up with any negatives to quitting other than I might be a little more boring now, which I'm ok with.

Excited for you man. Love reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrentH

WKR
I have “quit” drinking several times. The problem was I always put an end date on it. For instance, I “quit” for the month of September, but come October it was like I was making up for lost time. Felt like crap, so I quit for the month of November. Drank a little bit in December, but now I haven’t drank since Christmas. I’ve been drinking some NA beers, and am afraid I might cause a sparkling water shortage. I still don’t know if I plan to 100% quit drinking forever, but I have been working out a lot more which has given me extra motivation, aside from all the family-driven aspects, to keep going.

TheHammer

WKR
I have a post in here on an earlier page… update to say I cleared my 8th year of sobriety last Friday… was having a shit day, wife took me out to eat. She got shaved prime rib on Mac n cheese n I got a 28oz ribeye…. Mine was over cooked on the edge and still frozen in the middle, hers was rotten, literally bad meat, 84$ bill no comp or adjustments…… made me want a whiskey 😂😂😂

Howdy Partner

Lil-Rokslider
I have “quit” drinking several times. The problem was I always put an end date on it. For instance, I “quit” for the month of September, but come October it was like I was making up for lost time. Felt like crap, so I quit for the month of November. Drank a little bit in December, but now I haven’t drank since Christmas. I’ve been drinking some NA beers, and am afraid I might cause a sparkling water shortage. I still don’t know if I plan to 100% quit drinking forever, but I have been working out a lot more which has given me extra motivation, aside from all the family-driven aspects, to keep going.

Moderation is good too.

Kilboars

WKR
I don’t say I’ve quit drinking I just say I’m not drinking for how long we will have to wait and see.

So far I’m enjoying feeling clear in the morning and not feeling like a douche driving home after dinner out with a half a bottle of wine in me.

A lot of neat stories. It wouldn't be an over exaggeration to say we drank 4-5 days a week for all 5 years of college (had so much fun I stayed for a victory lap). We all had school and worked at least 20 hours a week. Had a keg fridge in our apartment and there would be people drinking on our couch every day we got home. It was insanity. That transferred to probably 3-4 days a week the first couple years after college. During that time there was twice when I came to the conclusion that it got out of control, and I quit for 2 months to prove I could. Never had a problem doing that.

After my daughter died in March 2021 I basically quit altogether. It's a personal rule to never drink alone or when stressed. I have a few drinks in social settings. Hunting camp, meat processing, etc. but that is it. Manage stress and PTSD by other nonaddictive, legal means.

Awesome job! As for the vacation and not drinking, I too was worried about "missing out" during all the usual drinking events...deer camp, work trade shows, vacations. I've found that just having something in my hand makes a huge difference. Be it an NA beer, sparkling water in a glass, anything to just occupy my old drinking hand. It's a similar oral fixation to smoking I'd say. Once I've settled into the situation I've concluded that it doesn't really feel any different whatsoever.

Today is my daughter's 12th birtday and also 5 months sober for me. It has been one of, if not the best decision of my life. I haven't been able to come up with any negatives to quitting other than I might be a little more boring now, which I'm ok with.
I was at a AA Meeting a quite a few years ago to give one of my very my best friends Danny his 30 year Medallion/Coin (Danny made 42 this year). That night I watched a 12 or 13 year old young lady wise beyond her years have the Honors to give her Daddy his One Year Medallion. Pretty awesome to watch. Lots of happy tears in that room. Sober is good.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
We do "dry January" most years to kick off the new year on a healthier track. Coincidentally, we received a Soda Stream for Christmas last year. I'm usually skeptical of gadgets, but the Soda Stream really is awesome. With some soda water and lime in the evening, I have not even thought about missing out on my nightly IPA.

I would highly recommend a Soda Stream, especially for those who enjoy beer. We have not even noticed the change in our lifestyle, and the wife and I may just keep on going dry after the end of the month.

We do "dry January" most years to kick off the new year on a healthier track. Coincidentally, we received a Soda Stream for Christmas last year. I'm usually skeptical of gadgets, but the Soda Stream really is awesome. With some soda water and lime in the evening, I have not even thought about missing out on my nightly IPA.

I would highly recommend a Soda Stream, especially for those who enjoy beer. We have not even noticed the change in our lifestyle, and the wife and I may just keep on going dry after the end of the month.
I bet you could make some killer mixed drinks with a soda stream.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
One friend asks me how I afford the gear, and stuff I do. I don't drink, or go to bars. I got a really good job that wouldn't have happened if I kept drinking.
The amount of money I've saved in a year of not drinking is now a seek outside cimarron + stove that just got to my house.
I decided to quit on Sunday morning. I don't drink that much, but I am a different person when I do. Sober I am frugal. After 2 I am not stopping, and as I found out on Sunday, spending enough to buy ~ 60% of my wish list for hunting this year. I had a tent, WM bag and few other items I wanted to save up for. Spent it all on Saturday and have nothing to show for it. I have missed work maybe 3 times in 25 years due to alcohol, really a typical midwestern attitude towards it. Sometimes nothing for 2 weeks, sometimes 3-4 days a week. I believe this thread is the help I need. Appreciate you guys. Good luck to everyone.

hunt1up

WKR
I decided to quit on Sunday morning. I don't drink that much, but I am a different person when I do. Sober I am frugal. After 2 I am not stopping, and as I found out on Sunday, spending enough to buy ~ 60% of my wish list for hunting this year. I had a tent, WM bag and few other items I wanted to save up for. Spent it all on Saturday and have nothing to show for it. I have missed work maybe 3 times in 25 years due to alcohol, really a typical midwestern attitude towards it. Sometimes nothing for 2 weeks, sometimes 3-4 days a week. I believe this thread is the help I need. Appreciate you guys. Good luck to everyone.
Awesome! Glad to hear it.

The money I've spent on alcohol over the past 15-20 years makes me want to barf when I add it up. I recently booked a very expensive sheep hunt which is something I didn't think I'd ever do. I planned for it financially, but I also figure if I continue not drinking it'll pay for at least half of it between now and the hunt in 2025. I'll probably use the "But look how much I'm saving by not drinking!" line on my wife whenever some new hunting item shows up. Eventually it'll stop working I'm sure.

schmalzy

WKR
Awesome! Glad to hear it.

The money I've spent on alcohol over the past 15-20 years makes me want to barf when I add it up. I recently booked a very expensive sheep hunt which is something I didn't think I'd ever do. I planned for it financially, but I also figure if I continue not drinking it'll pay for at least half of it between now and the hunt in 2025. I'll probably use the "But look how much I'm saving by not drinking!" line on my wife whenever some new hunting item shows up. Eventually it'll stop working I'm sure.

Hell yeah man. Booze for a sheep hunt sounds like a pretty awesome trade. Might have had something similar happen haha.

Beer has been responsible for a lot of my not so brilliant purchases. Wife: "Did you order a new chainsaw?" Me: "It was probably Keith Stone" . The holidays were a little harder this year. I'm at 6 beers for the month of January. (and they did not hit the spot) Normally that is two hours on a Friday night.

Its that time of year.... "new year, new me". Ive lost ~10 lbs since the turn of the calendar by not drinking. It would be more lbs, but Ive had a gnarly sciatic flare up that has me in bed most days.

Yoder

WKR
I just listened to a great book about overcoming addiction. This man was a hopeless alcoholic, morbidly obese and addicted to pain killers. One day he decided to quit all of it and become a runner. The book is called Out There a story of ultra recovery by David Clark. He has the best description of what a bad relationship with alcohol looks like. I thank God I was nowhere near as bad as he was, but I really identified with his emotions toward alcohol. Normal people don't have negotiations about drinking. Bad day=drink, good day=drink, stressed=drink, relax=drink, celebrate=drink, mourning=drink. Normal people just have a drink sometimes. They don't lie awake at night wondering if they have a problem. I can't recommend this book enough.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped drinking altogether. My wife says I am a much nicer person to be around. Also, I feel much more productive and have more time for family, hunting, doing things. A mentor of mine rarely drinks or when I see him has never drank and is quite successful. Haven’t drank in one year and a few months