Quilt verse Bags

rgref522

WKR
I have been looking at getting a new sleep system and cannot find a bad thing about quilts. Share your thoughts on what you use quilt or bag, and pros and cons of both.

Ill be pairing it with klymit static v luxe

I use a bag. Don't use a quilt because if it's super cold out and I want to use my bag to spot or just under a tarp, I can bring it all the way up and past my ears and over my head.

Quilt is not as versatile especially in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I just got a quilt and love it. Awesome for me because I toss and turn. Packs down tiny and weighs less than a bag. Only downside I can think of would be a draft if you don't use the straps right and wind blows into your shelter. Should be easy to prevent that. Other thing I like is that you can use it like a blanket and kick a leg out if it gets too warm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Probably depends on where and how you're using it. I'd have no issue with a quilt in more sedate weather, but I'll never be found in anything but a good bag when I'm in areas where big storms and cold temperatures are common. Anyway, both of my WM bags zip open to function as quilts....though I basically never use them that way.

Tried a quilt but it was too drafty for me. Every time I moved there was some cold air coming in to get me. Much prefer my Slick Bag for everything I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both and appreciate both. My 20 deg down quilt is pretty ideal for dry, semi-cold conditions. But when you're looking at sustained cold wet conditions a synthetic bag is going to offer a much better comfort margin. The idea being you can actually climb inside a synthetic bag in wet clothes and expect to dry out. Both a quilt and down insulation would probably let you down in that situation. As for versatility probably nothing beats a 20 degree synthetic bag, for lightweight packability nothing beats a down quilt. Lot's to read on here as this debate is endless.

If you really can't decide and don't mind foregoing a mummy bag, the enlightened equipment convert with synthetic insulation is a pretty cool option that's not too expensive and is about 6-8 oz lighter than an equivalent synthetic bag. It can also be had in down. It's a zippered quilt you can use either way, defeats the purpose of a quilt in my mind but is a useful way to have both if you truly are stuck on the fence.

I have a quilt, but use it inside my bivy, so it’s great. Each situation is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you can see everyone has a different opinion. I sleep very cold. I have a 0 degree bag and have been in 15 degree weather with no problem. I always have down/synthetic clothing when it is that cold so if I do get cold I will be covered. I toss and turn and the quilt stays in place better for me. As far as not being able to pull over your head just get a long and you will be covered. I can't see a down side to quilts. I do not see myself going back to a bag.

Chalk me up as another who would not go into extended subfreezing temps with a quilt. Too finicky for me compared to a bag. I found myself constantly thinking about how to avoid drafts rather than just sleeping.

I sleep super cold. Switched to an EE 10 degree extra wide quilt and wouldn't go back to a bag. I also toss and turn a bit in my sleep, and that quilt just stays in place, where a bag would get knotted up around me and wake me up. Properly situated, a quilt will not be drafty and won't move much when you toss and turn.

I use a heavy -20 bag for my base camp because I like heavy blankets. The rest
Of the time my 0 degree EE quilt goes with me and I look forward to every night I’ve crawled in it!i won’t be buying a backpacking sleeping bag ever again.

Back