questions for Oregonians

Kind of an off topic post but I figure this is a good place to start. I'm gonna get right to the point here.... I do not like living in Ca. Don't like the population, the taxes, regulations, hunting opportunities, the people, the costs, politics,traffic, and so on and so on. I'm ready for a change and I want to do it before most of my life is over. Now I know everyone else in the west is cringing because I'm sure y'all are sick of the californian migration, the inflation, and population they bring. I completely understand. However, I am really wanting out of here. I'm 28 and ready for something new.

My fiance and I are thinking oregon would be a good compromise for us two. I need to be in the country somewhat and she needs to be near enough to a city for work. I would be happy to live in just about any of our western states except maybe washington. she on the other hand needs to be near a substantial city for work. She has artistic/marketing/tech skills. I am a union Carpenter and specialize in doing doors/frames/hardware. I am pretty adaptable and have a wide range of skills/talents/interests so I'm not too worried about work as long as I can afford to live in a place I enjoy.

I have been through a bit of central Oregon and never the western side. I like Bend and much of the area east of bend (the John Day area). Driven all through that central area on my way to northern Idaho and a different trip up to Heppner. Portland is out of the question. Too grey/rainy/ and too many hippsters. In fact I'd like to say away from the coastal side all together. I get sick of grey weather too easily and don't want to live in a major earthquake zone anymore.

So my questions to you Oregonians.....

Is this a smart move? Are you happy with your hunting opportunities? Are Union construction jobs available? Do blue collar joes still make a respectable living? Do you feel Oregon is a good place to live? Are you seeing your towns change drastically? new housing/ strip malls/ big name stores/ect.

Feel free to answer any of the above. Add your opinions or any advice. Or you can call me a rotten californian and to stay out. I won't be offended because I know thats how I would feel in your shoes.

thanks
Eric

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
My family and I love living in Central Oregon, but if I could relocate to any western state, it wouldn't be here. The hunting quality has been in steady decline since the voter passed hound ban for bears and Cougars. This has caused license sales to decrease, and ODFW has been raising fees substantially on a regular basis. You will find game few and far between in our large roadless areas. Getting more than 5 miles from a road in the better units is really tough.

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your requirements, the Bend area is probably the best fit
Hunting opportunities are not bad with Elk Mulies, Black Bear, Turkeys, etc. Fishing can be exceptional. Outdoor activities are incredible.

As long as the economy holds up, construction jobs will be readily available. However, when the economy goes south they will dry up.

One other thing to be aware of is the state budget is about to be put under serious pressure. PERS is way under funded, due to a court case, that fact will wreak havoc in schools and all other public entities. It's very likely schools will be required to cut teacher numbers in a system that is already the lowest graduating percentage in the nation. Combine this with astronomucal increases in medicaid and cover oregon costs and one could expect this shortfall to extend for a decade or so. One would also expect higher taxes to be a direct result.

Last edited:
OP
E
as far as hunting goes, I am no stranger to tough. I don't ever intend to road hunt or hunt near a road for that matter. I am pretty much strictly a backpack hunter out of necessity here and that I do love. Can't hunt lions here at all and hounds for bears is over too. How remote can you get in the oregon wilderness areas? Currently my honey hole is a 7 mile pack in with many miles after that hunting around. Are there any high country mulies to be had? I have seen plenty in the flat lands

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
You can get that far back in a number of areas. Some high country mulies but high is a relative term - more like 6 -8k than 10+

tttoadman

WKR
I live 30 miles south of Portland in the same town I grew up in. I have watched my small town be consumed by the "burbs". The traffic and the infrastructure in the north Willamette valley is horrible. With the funding problems noted above and other issues, it isn't going to get any better soon. Bend / Redmond area is wonderful. Because it is a little landlocked from the rest of the world, it may show bigger spikes in jobs/work compared to the valley.

I would consider the south around Medford and Grants Pass. Still on the I-5 corridor. I think they are still attracting some new business down there. The weather is nicer if you like the high desert type of weather.

Hunting is Oregon is what you make it. There are decent opportunities out there, just tough hunting. I have basically settled on nothing but wilderness areas here, because I can't stand the road hunters and the "hunt the clear cuts" mentality. I probably get a decent mule deer tag every 3-4 years. the rest of the time I hunt the high cascades for big blacktails. I refuse to hunt the coast. I like many others here have started hunting out of state also.

The best part is you are still in the fine state of Jefferson.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Oregon is becoming a mini version of California. Liberal voters and ethics are driving outdoor experiences for the hunter/shooter/fisher into the ground. It started with the ban on the use of hounds for bear and cat hunting, followed with the love of the wolves that found a home here, and seems soon to be followed by a lead ammo ban much like California.

All that aside, it still does offer decent outdoor opportunities for a pretty diverse set of experiences, from coastal crabbing and clam digging and salmon and steelhead fishing, to blue ribbon trout fishing, waterfowling, upland birds, 4 species of deer, 2 elk species, 2 varieties of Bighorn sheep, mountain goats, and some good shooting ranges. But even with all that, I very actively pursue out of state hunting for all big game as Oregon's experience truthfully sucks (deer and elk specifically) and isn't getting any better.

I would also perhaps look at Southern Oregon or perhaps Pendleton (Tri-Cities, WA isn't too far for an airport). I lived in Bend for 16 years and enjoy the area very much but the job market can take some very wild swings and the airport isn't all that convenient (although, nothing outside PDX in Oregon probably is). Also, the hunting directly around Bend is far from good. Expect to drive a ways to find decent elk, deer, or bird hunting.

I'm a born and raised Oregonian and have deep bonds to the coast (and my poor OSU Beavers) or else I'd strongly consider relocating to a Rocky Mountain state.

charvey9

WKR
I've been here a decade now (transplant from Michigan), and really enjoy the state. However, it is a liberal state and I am concerned that politically it will follow the examples of Washington and California. We live in the burbs of Portland, but have family in eastern Oregon and enjoy that side of the state more than the coast.

Although I'm fairly happy with Oregon, and it is certainly better than California, I would jump at the chance to relocate to Idaho, Montana, or Alaska.

You can get that far back in a number of areas. Some high country mulies but high is a relative term - more like 6 -8k than 10+

I hear this occasionally and although it is true it is also very misleading.

Trailheads in the Cascades are anywhere from 500' on the westside to 2000' on the eastside while Denver is sitting at 5,500'. Therefor the actual elevation gain is more often than not greater in the Cascade range to get to tree line than in the Rockies. I'm also continually amazed at the early season hiking pictures I see on here from Co. and Ut. that are snow free at 10K while I'm still sitting at 20' of snow at 2.5K and months away from snow melt.

As an example I did a loop hike over the 4th of July in the summer of 2014. If not for the blazes marked into the trees I would have had to turn around as the trail was buried under several feet of snow. I went ~5 miles without ever seeing bare dirt. On heavy snow years the PCT never does melt out.

So while us coasties don't have to deal with elevation sickness we do have challenges of our own :).

OP
E
hmm. thanks for the words guys. This is exactly the type of discussion I was looking for. However, I am having more doubts about Oregon now lol. Maybe I should look harder at Idaho or Utah? I have never been out of state hunting, honestly because I like the little bit of hunting I do get here in Ca so much. I put all my effort into it each year. Having said that, I know I would have many more choices and time to hunt in another state. For those who hunt out of state, where do you like to go the best? And for what reasons?

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
I hear this occasionally and although it is true it is also very misleading.

Trailheads in the Cascades are anywhere from 500' on the westside to 2000' on the eastside while Denver is sitting at 5,500'.

While this may be true starting out on the west side, it is not here on the east side. The Three Sisters, Jefferson and Mt. Washington wilderness areas offer trailheads mostly 4000'+ starting points, making really the biggest gains in the 4 -5000 ranve tops.

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
hmm. thanks for the words guys. This is exactly the type of discussion I was looking for. However, I am having more doubts about Oregon now lol. Maybe I should look harder at Idaho or Utah? I have never been out of state hunting, honestly because I like the little bit of hunting I do get here in Ca so much. I put all my effort into it each year. Having said that, I know I would have many more choices and time to hunt in another state. For those who hunt out of state, where do you like to go the best? And for what reasons?

Utah and Idaho are both solid options, and both are less likely to be liberal overall any time soon, though the tentacles of California are reaching these areas too.

WRO

WKR
I've lived here for 15 years now, I love oregon. No where else can I salmon fish in town, (pdx) be at the coast salmon fishing or ocean fishing in 1.5 hours, snowboard an hour out of town, and hunt within 4 hours. Public land generally sucks, but I've had great success on private for relatively cheap.

wapitibob

WKR
No union construction jobs in Bend that I know of. Decent Elk (for oregon) hunting is 3 hours away. Some Elk are closer but it takes a lot of time to figure them out. We're a scrub state compared to most of the rest.
Houses are getting back up close to the $200/ft price tag again. Rent's running just over $1/ft. I have 1 1/2' of snow in my back yard and it's been about 10 deg for a week now.
Politics are leftist and the eastern 2/3 of the state is controlled by the I 5 corridor on the west side.
It's the best place in the state to live though.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Some of the major union players have offices/do work in central oregon including Howard s. wright, skanska, and Robinson.

HookUp

WKR
I would look at Idaho, my parents live in Meridian, ID which is just outside of Boise and it is a great town. All the growth is new and it has everything you need and more. The wife and you could easily find jobs. On your weekends It wouldn't take long to be in the back country. The entire state is conservative and winters are mild. I would live there except I am a hardcore salmon and walleye fisherman. I just can't move that far from the Columbia River, as much as I love to hunt I have to be on the water throughout the spring, summer and fall and there is nothing like the record runs of salmon we have had the last few years to keep a guy busy in the off season. Hunting and fishing is what you make it anywhere in all states, some places are crowded but you'll find zipper lips you'll have to yourself to. We live in Eastern Wa, housing is cheap and we are 5 hours from the coast, 5 hours from Boise, 4 hours from Bend, etc. No place to live is perfect, we travel a lot and being centrally located is key!!

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
The Boise and surrounding suburbs is a great idea to me. It has sort of a grown up Bend feel to it plus it's a college town and has a decent sized airport. Plus, if you want to gauge just how supportive the state is to outdoorsmen, look at their stance on wolves. Idaho is very supportive of hunting and trapping them. A very good sign to me. Plus they don't have a screwed up preference or bonus point system, there are some relatively great odds for residents for once in a lifetime type goat, sheep, and moose tags, and there's great (especially compared to Oregon) over the counter deer and elk hunting available.

As long as salmon and steelhead fishing or crabbing and clamming aren't your thing, Boise would be a great option (although I know nothing about the job market there).

OP
E
fishing is all I used to do, grew up living for it. Once I got more into hunting I noticed I fished a lot less. I still love fighting fish, mainly a trophy largemouth guy. I make my own swimbaits and everything. Id have to pretty much give that up but there are many types of fish to catch and all are good.

Boise would be a good option but take it from someone that was in the same area ,union and trade as you 20 years ago.Unless you settle on Seattle or Portland ("from the frying pan into the fire"option)you are unlikely to even come close to replacing your union pay and benefits in any of the places mentioned above.
Tim

Well as a native Oregonian, I've seen this state go in the shit hole. So its hard for me to encourage more folks to come here. But if folks are gonna migrate here, I'd rather the majority be folks like you. Just don't try and change it to be like where you came from.
Lots of opportunities for folks willing to work hard. (tip: leave your union dependancy behind.)

Hunting is going downhill here in Oregon, due in large part to ideologies from Kalifornia, and it'll get much worse before we get it fixed.

All this said, I love my state. It's a very diverse state; ocean fishing & rec, deserts, mountains, wetlands & fowl, many rivers to raft & fish, and a horse packers paradise. Within an hours drive, I can be doing any number of outdoor activities.
Hunt'nFish