Question?

I have a u-view measuring tube that I’m using to gauge volume loads of blackhorn 209. The load I’m going for is 105 grains of 209 with a 300 grain saboted bullet. My question is when filling the powder measuring device do you tamp down or tap the measured load down to fill up as much volume in the tube as possible or leave it slightly loose and cut it off with the top hinge?

This may be trivial but I’m a novice in the Muzzleloader world!!

Thanks in advance,

- Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a u-view measuring tube that I’m using to gauge volume loads of blackhorn 209. The load I’m going for is 105 grains of 209 with a 300 grain saboted bullet. My question is when filling the powder measuring device do you tamp down or tap the measured load down to fill up as much volume in the tube as possible or leave it slightly loose and cut it off with the top hinge?

This may be trivial but I’m a novice in the Muzzleloader world!!

Thanks in advance,

- Jake

Jake, I do tap and settle(but remember BH really does not settle that much because of it's tubular construction) and I repeat the process every time! After tapping cut off and use it. My volume measure is set at 120 grains and when I tap and WEIGH - it averages about 82 grains on the scale. It really should be closer to 84 but the 82 by weight works for me.

OP
JacobStuck
Jake, I do tap and settle(but remember BH really does not settle that much because of it's tubular construction) and I repeat the process every time! After tapping cut off and use it. My volume measure is set at 120 grains and when I tap and WEIGH - it averages about 82 grains on the scale. It really should be closer to 84 but the 82 by weight works for me.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it! I’m shooting a cva V2 and am now thinking 105 grains is too light. It’s a hunting load. I’m using black crushed rib sabots with the 300gr scorpion pt gold bullets with federal primers