Muzzleloader Newbie Question - Load

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Humbling post here for someone who works with firearms.

Hunting muzzleloader for the first time (elk and muley tags) and made the mistake of waiting until the last minute to zero this thing. I hunt with a guy who has been hunting in CO for years. Based on his recommendation, I decided to keep it simple.

Bought a CVA Optima V2, some Blackhorn and CVA Powerbelt .50 338gr bullets. Headed to the range yesterday with the Lead Sled and some targets. I loaded my speedloaders as recommended to the 120 line....got down......sight on target and blamo......holy $hit. After 5 rounds, she's dialed in...but....

My issue is that I think the load seems a bit much. I've attended multiple tactical shotgun courses for work and would rather shoot those courses all day long than shoot this thing. Hell, I'd rather shoot my .300win or our M107s a whole day at the range. Even in the Lead Sled, I feel like someone punched me in the face when I was done. I'm pretty well versed in recoil management through work, so that part is not an issue (or maybe it is).

My question, I suppose, is should I look into either into zeroing again with less powder or perhaps try a lighter bullet and powder combination?

Anyone running this rifle and a specific and friendlier bullet / charge combination?

I was looking at Hornady Bore Driver FTX 290gr or a Powerbelt in the 270gr flavor.

Maybe it's just the universe whispering "pickup a bow you wuss"

I have a few days I can still get to therange, so I'm open to suggestions. This thing just isn't fun and part of me is hoping I see zero animals on the mountain.....being facetious, of course.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Five years ago we got a call from CPW and my daughter unexpectedly got a ML bull tag from the reissue process a week before ML started. I was loading the truck for my bow hunt when they called, and was leaving the next morning. I postponed all my hunts at that point, as her tag just became the priority. I had a ML (T/C Omega) sitting in the safe but neither of us had ever shot one.

We had to scramble to get up to speed and only had one session at the range to do that. We went simple too.......BH209, CCI 209 primers, and those 338gr Powerbelt Platinum bullets. We started at 100gr (volume) of BH and ended there because the Powerbelts grouped so well at 100 yards. So, basically we were sighted in and ready to go in just over an hour of range time. Then she shot the first bull I called in for her at 30 yards, a really nice bull. I'd drop it down to 100gr, it will still get the job done. These days I load it up with only 70gr of BH and 420gr No-Excuses bullets for my girls.

I have a buddy who’s going through the same thing right now. His Optima and Wolf are beating the hell out of him with 120 gr of BH209 and a 350 BOR Lock. Maybe the recoil ergonomics are just bad on those CVAs. I don’t know, I shoot mostly TCs and Savage muzzys. I’d say @5MilesBack is right. Use less powder. And obviously recoil is directly related to the bullet weight. 120 grains of powder with a 300 grain bullet is way different than with a 250 bullet. That said, none of the bullets you mention are great elk bullets in my opinion. They are very soft bullets. I’d stick with a (non-Powerbelt) over 300 grains or something like a 300 gr Thor bullet for elk.

Weigh the charge. It shouldn't be over 84gn. My 120gn by volume loads were over 90gn on my scale so I started weighing them out.

Nothing magical about 84 gr by weight or 120 by volume. Hodgdon recommends no more than 120 by volume for BH209. But that may or may not be 84 by weight depending on the lot of BH209 powder you’re using. Probably is a little more. No big deal. Main thing is to find a load that shoots well and produces tolerable recoil! That’s usually in the 90-115 grV BH209 for me.

Five years ago we got a call from CPW and my daughter unexpectedly got a ML bull tag from the reissue process a week before ML started. I was loading the truck for my bow hunt when they called, and was leaving the next morning. I postponed all my hunts at that point, as her tag just became the priority. I had a ML (T/C Omega) sitting in the safe but neither of us had ever shot one.

We had to scramble to get up to speed and only had one session at the range to do that. We went simple too.......BH209, CCI 209 primers, and those 338gr Powerbelt Platinum bullets. We started at 100gr (volume) of BH and ended there because the Powerbelts grouped so well at 100 yards. So, basically we were sighted in and ready to go in just over an hour of range time. Then she shot the first bull I called in for her at 30 yards, a really nice bull. I'd drop it down to 100gr, it will still get the job done. These days I load it up with only 70gr of BH and 420gr No-Excuses bullets for my girls.

I use basically the same load out of my TC Pro Hunter FX. I live in a state with open sights rules, so shot distances would likely be under 150 yards. Works perfect.

Tagging along to what others have said - I’m using 90gr volume BH and a 250gr bullet. If that won’t kill an animal inside open sight ranges then we’ve got bigger issues. A somewhat shoulder friendly load and bullet combination.

I think Colorado doesn’t allow sabots, so I’d go with the lowest weight full bore bullet you can find and reduce your load down accordingly. According to goHunt Colorado allows powerbelt and bor locks. I’ve heard mixed results about the PBs so I’d see if you can track down a package of those 270gr borlocks.

First thing is to ditch the powerbelts. I’ll never argue the fact that they shoot good. What you will eventually find is there’s not a bullet on the market that has more failure than the powerbelt. Barnes makes a good bullet, along with fury and Parker. Google them, you’ll probably have to order them. Not exceeding a max charge, but most people find their sweet spot around 100gr by volume or 70gr by weight. Another thing with Blackhorn, use the correct plug in your cva. The plug that comes with the gun is wrong and you’ll eventually get a squib load. Use standard 209 primers at a minimum, magnums if you can find them. DO NOT USE MUZZLELOADER 209 PRIMERS WITH BLACKHORN!! Keep your flash channel clean.

I’ll tell you what works with your particular musket. A Barnes 290gr T-EZ, 100gr by vol (74gr by weight) of BH 209, and a Fed 209A primer. Recoil is manageable but I wouldn’t want to shoot it all day. I chrono’d this load at 1750ish and we’ve a good handful of Roosevelt bulls since switching to the Barnes. Great results.

Nick A

FNG
I’ve been getting great results with 100 gr by volume of triple 7 and 300 gr thor hammers. Recoil is very manageable.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
I personally would not shoot an elk with 120gr and the 338gr platinium. The 338 is a good strong bullet for a powerbelt, but i'd limit it to around 110gr volume.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 110 by volume triple 7 250 gr. honady . I also added an extra recoil pad. just a cheapy from midway, that helped alot .

OP
wtrbrdm

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Spent the weekend pre-scouting for 2 days....range today.

Hornady Bore Drivers (290gr) loaded at 100gr (volume) and recoil was great....shot right at a minute....and on radar was average 1840fps.

CVA Optima with the Williams fiber optic peep and skeletonized fiber optic globe sights from Classic Firearms.

Works for me..... One day left for work tomorrow then on to scout again for 2 days then get this whole hunting thing started.

Appreciate everyone chiming in.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Humbling post here for someone who works with firearms.

Hunting muzzleloader for the first time (elk and muley tags) and made the mistake of waiting until the last minute to zero this thing. I hunt with a guy who has been hunting in CO for years. Based on his recommendation, I decided to keep it simple.

Bought a CVA Optima V2, some Blackhorn and CVA Powerbelt .50 338gr bullets. Headed to the range yesterday with the Lead Sled and some targets. I loaded my speedloaders as recommended to the 120 line....got down......sight on target and blamo......holy $hit. After 5 rounds, she's dialed in...but....

My issue is that I think the load seems a bit much. I've attended multiple tactical shotgun courses for work and would rather shoot those courses all day long than shoot this thing. Hell, I'd rather shoot my .300win or our M107s a whole day at the range. Even in the Lead Sled, I feel like someone punched me in the face when I was done. I'm pretty well versed in recoil management through work, so that part is not an issue (or maybe it is).

My question, I suppose, is should I look into either into zeroing again with less powder or perhaps try a lighter bullet and powder combination?

Anyone running this rifle and a specific and friendlier bullet / charge combination?

I was looking at Hornady Bore Driver FTX 290gr or a Powerbelt in the 270gr flavor.

Maybe it's just the universe whispering "pickup a bow you wuss"

I have a few days I can still get to therange, so I'm open to suggestions. This thing just isn't fun and part of me is hoping I see zero animals on the mountain.....being facetious, of course.
This may be a little late, but might help the next time you go to the range. Try 90 grains by volume or 66 grains by weight with a 250 or 275 grain bullet. You twist rate is a 1in 28 twist. It works better with lighter bullets.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Heck, I'm planning on shooting only 70gr. of Pyro select behind either a 350gr. TC hunter or a roundball from my TC Hawken this year.