91233.33%
90< 20.00%
GEN160811100.00%
GEN1606< 11100.00%
GEN160610100.00%
GEN1604< 10100.00%
GEN16049100.00%
GEN1599< 9100.00%
This is a copy and paste from WY's draw odds page. What is the quota in the second column? Why does it go from single digits to over 1600? Can someone dumb this down for me, please?

bdan68

WKR
Because that's for a general tag. The others are a type 1 and a type 9 for whatever elk area you're looking at.

Elite7

FNG
Looks like that unit has a type 1 tag that’s very limited and hard to draw. A type 9 tag that is the same (type 9 is usually archery I believe) and then after a certain date that unit becomes a general unit that you can use the general tag on.

Generally the type 1 tag is either early in season or after migration. That tag is hard to get because there are elk in the unit at that time. They then migrate out or most do and that’s probably when the general tag hunters can start hunting it

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like that unit has a type 1 tag that’s very limited and hard to draw. A type 9 tag that is the same (type 9 is usually archery I believe) and then after a certain date that unit becomes a general unit that you can use the general tag on.

Generally the type 1 tag is either early in season or after migration. That tag is hard to get because there are elk in the unit at that time. They then migrate out or most do and that’s probably when the general tag hunters can start hunting it
Yes sir, I understand type 1, 9 and general. What I don’t know is what quota is. I do know WY gives out 25 type 9 tags for this unit. According to GOHUNT 21 are for residents. That leaves 4 for nonresidents. So what is the 2 1 1 1 0?

Ans your second paragraph makes a lot of sense. Never thought about it like that.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
Those are the tags left after the max point applicants are taken out I believe.

There were two tags allocated for the type 9
One applicant with 4 points took 1 of those tags, 1 left.
0 applicants at <4, 3, or <3 so 1 applicant with two points received the tag. He was one of 3 applicants with 2 points so his draw odds were 33%.

Is there any sort of Wyoming master class to better understand all the tag types, the ones that roll over to general, etc? I've read and re-read the regulations, but each time I seem to be more confused. Does WY G&F do any sort of in-person classes?

I feel like a dummy for asking, but I guess this old dog really struggles learning new tricks.

wytx

WKR
Is there any sort of Wyoming master class to better understand all the tag types, the ones that roll over to general, etc? I've read and re-read the regulations, but each time I seem to be more confused. Does WY G&F do any sort of in-person classes?

I feel like a dummy for asking, but I guess this old dog really struggles learning new tricks.
Confused by what you mean roll over into General?
This shows the different types of licenses:

Screenshot 2022-10-25 130330.jpg

Confused by what you mean roll over into General?
This shows the different types of licenses:

View attachment 467457
OP, sorry for the derail.

For background, I'm coming from Colorado, where an archery tag is valid for archery season. You can't hunt in rifle season without a rifle tag, and you can't get a (list A) rifle tag if you already had an archery tag. In Wyoming, I've heard people saying things like "I didn't get my buck during archery season, so I'll get him in rifle season because my tag is still valid then."

What I can't clearly find is; If you buy a license other than a Type 9 or Type 0, is it good for all seasons in that area as long as you are using that season's weapon type?

It's more unit dependent. In this case, the unit that the OP is researching ALLOWS folks with a general tag to hunt there during certain times with certain weapon types.

As an example, I've seen type 9 (archery) tags open on Sept 1 and go to Sep 30 (or thereabouts, forgive me if I'm off a day or two), but the folks with a GEN tag can hunt Sep 15 to Sep 30 with archery tackle. They may also be allowed to hunt the rifle season with that GEN tag whereas the type 9 holder absolutely cannot.

@Gunnersdad49 I think you're probably best off reading the regs for the units you're interested in. I understand that's not so useful if you're looking to find a unit based on some criteria, because then you'd have to check them all. I subscribe to GoHunt INSIDER and their filtering tool would be useful for what you're likely wanting to do.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
It's more unit dependent. In this case, the unit that the OP is researching ALLOWS folks with a general tag to hunt there during certain times with certain weapon types.

As an example, I've seen type 9 (archery) tags open on Sept 1 and go to Sep 30 (or thereabouts, forgive me if I'm off a day or two), but the folks with a GEN tag can hunt Sep 15 to Sep 30 with archery tackle. They may also be allowed to hunt the rifle season with that GEN tag whereas the type 9 holder absolutely cannot.
This is exactly right! Just add an archery stamp to Gen or type 1 tag.

Right!